I'm Thinking About Getting a Fender Amp.

ToneWarrior

I got the Marshall sound that I want with my Suhr PT100SE, Splawn Modded 1959 and Splawn Super Sport. I chased that tone for so long and I was so focused on it because I thought it was the only tone for me but now that I have it my attention has been drawn to a different kind of tone. So if you can help point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I want to keep it realistic in price so no boutique amps. I think $1000 should be plenty maybe $1200. What I'm looking for is probably not achievable in one amp but I don't know. I want to get the tone of Long Train Running but also Stranglehold. I saw a video of a guy playing Stranglehold through a Fender but I don't remember which one it was. I always thought that the Byrdland was a primary part of the Stranglehold sound but he was using a Les Paul and it was just about spot on. I also like the glassiness of a Fender particularly with the neck pickup. Finally I like the older tones from guys like Chet Atkins, Scotty Moore and the Beatles.

Thanks

Gnarlly

As a fellow Splawn Super Sport owner, I recommend the Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI). With an efficient speaker you can get great clean tones with that classic reverb (and tremolo if that's your thing) for pretty much any bar/club gig setting. Unlike the Twin or Super Reverb, you can actually crank up the DRRI to get some great blues and classic rock crunch tones without blowing away the entire band. While some folks may recommend a Princeton Reverb reissue, I found the PRRI just doesn't have the headroom or sound spread for some gigs like the DRRI has (and the PRRI's distortion can be kind of ratty due to the different phase inverter design).

Edit: Hey, I just noticed you're in Dundalk. We play around Maryland and often at Sylvester's in Essex (check out http://www.sonicdazerocks.com/ for our schedule). I've been mainly using my Super Sport for gigs, but I do mix up amps once in awhile (played my 4104 + Bad Cat Unleash last weekend, and plan on using my DRRI + pedals at our upcoming Firehouse Tavern gig).

Last edited:

C-4

OP, you mention liking the older sounds. Might I suggest you also try a Vox AC 15, or AC30. The head versions are available in your price range.
For a Fender, try the Bassbreaker 15, which is also in your price range. I'm sure you will try the regular Fender amps, such as mentioned above, but for the older sounds, the amps I mentioned are closer to the sounds used by the gentlemen you mentioned.
Scotty Moore used an amp, the Ray Butts EchoSonic. It had a built in delay, and was made in the 1950's. He used Fenders and other amps, but this is the sound of the amp he used in the 1950's.

Here is a list of the gear Scotty used...http://www.scottymoore.net/guitars.html

Tone Meister

:D
Blackface or silver Super Reverb, manageable 40 watts. Ted used way more powerful Dual Showmans.

For stage Ted used six Super Twins for awhile also: http://www.woodytone.com/2011/09/21/could-you-handle-nuges-early-gear/

As a teenager, I went out and bought a brand new Super Twin because Ted was playing them them live at the time. My parents did care for that amp as much as I did. :D

A lot of his studio recording was reportedly done on some version of a Deluxe though. I'm sure he used what was available at the time, much like everyone else does.

Nugent_Ted_Fender_ad_70s.jpg

Last edited:

LaceSensor1

Gold Supporting Member
deluxe reverb will fit your need

The clean headroom tones don't get super loud. But they do get fairly loud in general.

ToneWarrior

Thanks for the responses. I'll check those amps out.

I know the Beatles used Vox amps but I through them in there anyway.

ToneWarrior

I got the Marshall sound that I want with my Suhr PT100SE, Splawn Modded 1959 and Splawn Super Sport. I chased that tone for so long and I was so focused on it because I thought it was the only tone for me but now that I have it my attention has been drawn to a different kind of tone. So if you can help point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I want to keep it realistic in price so no boutique amps. I think $1000 should be plenty maybe $1200. What I'm looking for is probably not achievable in one amp but I don't know. I want to get the tone of Long Train Running but also Stranglehold. I saw a video of a guy playing Stranglehold through a Fender but I don't remember which one it was. I always thought that the Byrdland was a primary part of the Stranglehold sound but he was using a Les Paul and it was just about spot on. I also like the glassiness of a Fender particularly with the neck pickup. Finally I like the older tones from guys like Chet Atkins, Scotty Moore and the Beatles.

Thanks

Cool, I'll check it out. My band "Madhouse" is playing Sonoma's this Friday and Dick's on Saturday.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Ted actually used Twin Reverbs back in the day.

A Twin Reverb has tons of clean headroom and will be very loud at the point of breakup.

I too use a DRRI. It's right in your budget and you should easily be able to try one out as they are readily available. Mine came with a Celestion A Type speaker which makes the amp more open sounding and increases the headroom. Classic Fender tone.

gtrplr71

I agree the DRRI is where you need to be. One of the most recorded amps in history. Both the the deluxe and twin can be found in the $650.00 range

Last edited:

67super

I live in Maryland and I've got a 78 DR that's in exceptional condition. I'm thinking about selling as I am trying to lighten my collection of amps right now. PM me if your interested.

Jack Luminous

Silverface Vibrolux Reverb. Really nice Fender tone. I was a strictly Marshall guy for a long long time. A while ago, I stumbled on a really cheap SF Vibrolux Reverb in a shop just 50 meters from where I live. Couldn't pass the opportunity. Sounds great. I can't stop playing it !

Madison

A long time owner of many different Fender amps both new and vintage, the latest I've been enjoying is a HRD III loaded with a WGS ET-65. It sounds great, is powerful, reasonable cost, and at 45 lbs is transportable.

Most if them sound good if Fender is your thing. It's more a matter of finding the right price, size and tube complement.

71strat

While I don't play Ted. I have been using a 69 Dual Showman with 2 x Altec Lansing 418Hs since 1973.

I recently had it completely gone over/Blackfaced, and an ODS Mod.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom