I'm Thinking About Getting a Fender Amp.

71strat

My 2 x 15 Altec Cab weighs 113lbs not counting the DS Head. I'm 58.:p

I do workout most everyday though, and have for 40 years.

I did quit hauling my 4 x 12 Sound City Cab, loaded with 4 Hemp Coned JBL E120s. Heaviest cabinet Ive ever seen. Its 1.5 inches thick !!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.180+lbs.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Twin Amp which is a Twin from the 90a with a drive channel and a crunch boost on the clean channel. Works great and they can be found fairly cheap. I can't see a deluxe covering Nugent very well. Not ballsy enough

JK1965

That old Nugent stuff doesn't have much gain. It's just a cranked Fender amp. My DR can easily handle it. Of course he had several Super Twins cranked onstage running cabs so you couldn't replicate that. In the studio he may well have used a DR for some of the songs.

ToneWarrior

NO AFFILIATION

Fender Super Six Reverb 1973

Woh, now that's an amp...

Seller information
gcas88 (4 )
100% Positive feedback

Near mint condition”
Price:
US $800.00

s-l1600.jpg

stevel

DRRI is probably the starting point.

If it needs to be louder before breakup, the Vibrolux Reverb (available new only in the 68 series which might actually get you more options as it has two different tone stacks) or Pro Reverb would be the next logical choices, or possibly a Super Reverb (which is currently available as a RI as well). Really depends on how loud they need to be at the saturation level you want.

Twins or anything larger are just impractical unless you're playing stadiums (or are able to blow the walls out of a studio).

But, pay attention to this: If you want "Chet Atkins clean", start with the Twin and work down - more wattage in general is more clean headroom (or rather, they're cleaner given the same relative volume). A Vibrolux or Pro might sit right in the sweet spot. But realize if you're playing a Deluxe Reverb on 2 it'll sound nice and clean for Chet, but won't be loud. On 6 for Stranglehold, it's going to be pretty darn loud.

IOW, to sort of equal volumes out overall, you probably need a Princeton for SH, and a Deluxe for Chet - or a Deluxe for SH and a Twin for Chet - that kind of thing.

But all of them will do beautiful cleans if you don't turn them up. Some of them will just stay clean at an overall higher volume level.

Reactions: C-4

Stefenator

I recommend the Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI). With an efficient speaker you can get great clean tones with that classic reverb (and tremolo if that's your thing) for pretty much any bar/club gig setting. Unlike the Twin or Super Reverb, you can actually crank up the DRRI to get some great blues and classic rock crunch tones without blowing away the entire band. While some folks may recommend a Princeton Reverb reissue, I found the PRRI just doesn't have the headroom or sound spread for some gigs like the DRRI has (and the PRRI's distortion can be kind of ratty due to the different phase inverter design).

This^

This one fits your price point and it has not only the DR tone stack in the Vintage channel, but you get the '59 Bassman tone stack in the Custom channel, which is the basis of the first Marshall amps (like getting two amps in one). Plus, unlike the original DRs, you can get reverb and tremolo in both channels...

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar...xe-reverb/2274000000.html#q=68+custom&start=1

jbow

Gold Supporting Member
If you get a Fender amp do yourself a favor and get a BOSS Bass EQ pedal. It will tame any flub you might get and offer a range of great tones. That pedal in the chain has made more difference (for the good) with my Fender amps, not the guitar pedal, the bass EQ pedal. Cheap, try it.

ToneWarrior

So I finally pulled the trigger. I listened to lots of clips watched lots of videos and read lots of reviews but it wasn't until I was in Atomic Music in Beltsville MD when I heard this guy playing. The sound was so real and so iconic. I didn't want to bother him but when he left I went to see what he was playing. It turned out to be a Blues Deluxe. I asked one of the guys working at the store the differences between the Deluxe Reverb, the Blues Deluxe and the hotrod deluxe and luckily he was a Fender guy. He told me about the differences and said the Deluxe Reverb is the sound in your head. It's probably the amp used on a popular song that you know. He said if he was to start off with a Fender amp the Deluxe Reverb is the best place to start, so I bought this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232240738597

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't wait to play it....

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
I was gonna say...find a blackface or silverface Bassman head, add cabinet and OD/distortion pedals to taste, and go.

JK1965

Congrats!
Iconic amp you got there. Hours melt away when I'm plugged into mine.

If you use pedals, get a cheap A/B box. Run side A with you pedals into normal channel set flat. Run B to vibrato channel for your Fender clean w/Reverb and tremolo. Foot controled channel switcher. I use a few amp in box pedals so I have Marshall, Tweed and Vox tones. I run chorus and delay after those.

stahlhart

While I don't play Ted. I have been using a 69 Dual Showman with 2 x Altec Lansing 418Hs since 1973.

I recently had it completely gone over/Blackfaced, and an ODS Mod.

It looks like the combo is taking a bong hit off the Metroplex.

Silverface Vibrolux Reverb. Really nice Fender tone. I was a strictly Marshall guy for a long long time. A while ago, I stumbled on a really cheap SF Vibrolux Reverb in a shop just 50 meters from where I live. Couldn't pass the opportunity. Sounds great. I can't stop playing it !

this. I grabbed a 74 for $850. it needed nothing done to it and has rocked over a thousand hours since I got it and sounds amazing. possibly the best SF offering fender has imo.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom