Im thinking about trying out for a Genesis tribute band

Judge Smails

I consider myself a fairly accomplished guitarist.I was in a Police tribute band for a few years and handled those duties very well but not without its challenges. I'm actually trying to gauge my level of musicianship and decide if I'm good enough to try out. I plan learning a few of the more difficult pieces. These guys are very well respected pros and considered to be the cream of the Genesis tribute bands.My confidence is probably a little low but I feel I would do a good job.My question is ,how much more difficult is this stuff than the Police stuff I did? Anyone?

tribalfusion

I consider myself a fairly accomplished guitarist.I was in a Police tribute band for a few years and handled those duties very well but not without its challenges. I'm actually trying to gauge my level of musicianship and decide if I'm good enough to try out. I plan learning a few of the more difficult pieces. These guys are very well respected pros and considered to be the cream of the Genesis tribute bands.My confidence is probably a little low but I feel I would do a good job.My question is ,how much more difficult is this stuff than the Police stuff I did? Anyone?

It depends which Genesis material but I'd say it's significantly more involved if you're doing a lot of the Hackett material.

Should be a lot of fun though!

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
If you're doing the Peter Gabriel era stuff, it's significantly more difficult and involved. Expect to spend some time learning the songs.

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
Some of my favorite music. Good luck!

Doesn't happen to be the Musical Box?

Papanate

if I'm good enough to try out.
If that's how you think than I would avoid the tryout.

Steve Hackett and Daryl Stuermer are clever players.
IF this is an established Tribute band - then I imagine
the Mike Rutherford parts are covered. Whilst I think
Rutherford is a good player - with few exceptions I
can get his parts quickly. Hackett and Stuermer
OTOH have unique styles and abilities.

However if you have no trouble hearing the parts
and then playing them - go for it.

Here's one to bolster your confidence - pick a song, record it on your
iphone and post it here for critique. If you can take the TGP abuse/praise
go audition.

BMX

I can't imagine that a lot of guitar players would be interested in doing a gig like this (NOT ripping on the music by any means) so I say go for it even if it will challenge you-those are the most fun gigs to have. If you did well with the Police gig then I would think you'll be the best guy at the auditions.

ibis

Maybe watch one of the Genesis Revisited shows on DVD to give you an idea of the Hackett parts?
Looks like there are 2 areas of expertise to consider:
Technical ability
Memory

I hope you rise to the challenge and have a great audition.

randall g

Probably would be a fun gig - I love that music. Which tunes do you have to learn for the audition? Would you need any new equipment to get those distinctive sounds?

stevel

I'm just curious - who goes to see such a thing?

A Police Tribute band I could see - they were definitely one of the top acts of all time.

Now, we could say the same about Genesis - but that's really the post-Gabriel stuff. They were definitely huge, but we're talking roughly ABACAB and beyond there.

IOW, I'm sure there are die-hard fans out there, but it's definitely far more of a niche than The Police (unless you were doing something like the very early Police only). Does this kind of thing support itself?

BMX

Isn't Phil Collins getting ready to re-emerge and tour? I think that would help gain interest in a tribute band. But I agree, that tribute band would need to be heavy on the Phil Collins fronted stuff. I can't imagine there would be enough interest in Gabriel era Genesis to get enough people to come out and see it but I could be wrong. Then again I wasn't around for the Gabriel stuff so maybe it had a bigger impact on that generation of music fans.

I literally have patches on my VG-99 set up in the strange tunings Rutherford came up with for the 12-string parts. And they are very cool tunings - otherwise I'd literally have to have a whole guitar set aside in a weird tuning just for one or two songs. Oy.

That's one thing you'll need to look into depending on what songs you are going to be playing. I should ask "what ERA Genesis"? Since some of the differences between the classic Gabriel band and the post Hackett pop-version are very different musically of course.

ibis

If doing a Hackett tribute, you'll need a chair to sit on for the entire show.
Depends!
If doing a tribute of Hackett doing a tribute to Genesis, he now stands for the entire gig (apart from solo pieces).

Uses his gold top Fernades LP with a sustainer pickup and Floyd a lot. Astonishing player.

Custom Deluxe

Is the band big like Brit Floyd big? I was shocked how big of an audience Brit Floyd drew at Red Rocks. PBS was showing this concert last night and I couldn't believe it.

Either way, good luck if you do decide to try out. Difficult music for sure.

Trending Topics