I’m thinking HD300 over HD500. Why not? (I've decided!)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Pax, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

This is what I need and these are my preferences. Based on these, wouldn’t a 300 be just fine? :dunno

• Need to go into the board with XLR
    • Need a compact, floor-based modeler with effects
    • Probably only need 4-5 solid settings. I know me. I’ve had all the bells & whistles stuff and I just don’t care to spend time trying to figure out everything the stuff does.
    • Easier to dial in the better
    • Mostly for church music; P&W
    • I don’t do a lot of recording/computer work, just playing.
    • Need to run it through studio monitors for bedroom practice
    I don’t mind getting the 500 and nothing against it, but the 300 seems to suit my needs or am I missing something? :huh

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I found the HD300 Harder to Navigate then the HD500

3. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

+1

The HD300 was really frustrating to me in its lack of patch views.

4. glenndelune

glenndelune Member

If you have the funds for the 500, get it!! As you develop your style and your songs you will feel the need, AND have the inspiration, to have the ability to do more things. With the 500 you could have the 3 to 4 "variables" within the same patch!! The 300 can't do that. I am currently using the 400 on some gigs and I find it lacking in this area. That is, the ability to choose 1 amp and add 1 or 2 stomps, delay, reverb, eq, modulation FX, and more. . . . all on 1 patch!!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

5. Pax

Ok, I don't want frustrating. I've only played both for a little bit of time. Do you mean you can't see them or it's not detailed enough or what? Thanks for the feedback.

6. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

HD300 also doesn't have Particle Verb.

7. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

My issue was the screen doesn't show the full options as it does on the 500. It is a nice benefit to see what is in the patch and activated at a quick glance. Also, the extra footswitches are nice for individual effects on/off.

8. deanesque

deanesque Member

The deal breaker for me was that you have to choose between a compressor, EQ or distortion. They are on the same FX block and you can only have one for a patch.

9. iasomie_ro

iasomie_ro Member

How about HD 400? Advantages over 300:
    - Proper screen
    - Dedicated switches for changing banks (you have to press 2 swithces at once on HD300) to change banks.
    - Expression pedal is the same as on HD500, while HD300 has a "cheaper" version. Rich Renken said the one on HD400 and HD500 feels better.

Why I prefer 400 over 500:
    - I don't need the routing flexibility of HD500 and don't use dual tones.
    - For me it was a revealing experience when, after hours of tweaking with Pod HD Edit, I just grabbed the HD 400 from the floor and realised how easy is to get an usable tone just by twisting a few knobs (pick an amp... add a bit of drive... add some delay or reverb...)

It's worth considering that HD500 is the most popular one, so it's the first one to get updates and it has a more active community.

10. Ichthyoid

Ichthyoid Member

:agree. that's actually one of the reasons i got my m9. particle verb is :drool

to OP, do you have another practice rig at home? if the HD is going to be your only rig, i'd suggest the 500. it's deeper, so when you really want to experiment, you have the freedom to do so. also, it's more expandable than the 300 in terms of future updates.

11. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

The HD300 works great, sounds like a good fit.

Not sure I understand the difficult to navigate comments. It is easy to use. And in someways more simplistic due to the simplicity of routing options, etc.

Obviously if you are able to use a computer to tweak your patches with the editor it is much easier as you are not dealing with menus and scrolling through options.

If you only need 5 settings....I'd set those up while hooked up to a computer and be done with it. Tweaking on the fly isn't really the strong suit of any modeler.

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I have owned a 300 for over a year. Plenty of great tones, same amp models, enough fx for me. Od, vibe,reverb, delay. Easy to use from the floor.

13. Pax

Well, I do like the feedback, but I don't even know what that is so I don't think I'll miss it.

I see your point. Worth consideration.

Yes, I probably need to give the 400 a look as well.

I agree, and I don't want to tweak on the fly. Once I set what I want and I'm in front of folks I don't want to tweak, just stomp and have it there.

14. Pax

That's about all I'm thinking I need.

15. bigtone82

bigtone82 Member

This can be done with the 500 as well. Plus I think the visual interface is even better than the 400.

16. rufedges

rufedges Member

Your needs sound exactly like mine, I use my HD 300 for P&W as well......honestly, I think I am better off "discovering" with the 300 and its lack only EQ/COMP/Dist at one time........use COMP and Amplifier gain for lead/crunch/power/distortion....very mature and dynamic sound.......thought I needed a 500 for a long time, I don't. Best way to navigate the menu is hook it up to the computer for the Line 6 edit program.

Honestly, buy a 500 used, about the same price as the 300,......If I could go back in time, I would have done this, but, I am very happy with my 300 after about 2 or 3 solid months of tweaking.....have found my sound secrets.

17. DougDoppler

DougDoppler Member

I'd suggest the 500. It's a better resale investment and it's not THAT much more, but very much worth the money, new or used...

Cheers ~ Doug:)

18. DougDoppler

DougDoppler Member

And I believe there is a bigger user community to share sounds with, which for a lot of folks is a big deal:)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. hitchorange

hitchorange Member

For me buying the 300 was the right decision. I've spend hours with the 500 next to the 300 comparing, eventually i'm a kind of guy who better settles with less options.
    More options = more tweaking = less playing.

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

total deal breaker!