I'm tired of being offered nut'n for amps that aren't Fender,Vox/Matchless or Marshal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zekmoe, Jan 28, 2011.

1. kimock

kimock Member

Ok, I'll play. Roy Buchanan, Sweet Dreams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=patqcHNXT6M&feature=related

Or maybe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmVmw41I2k&feature=related

How about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogxTQXAgY3Q

Get back to me when you cop this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HE6D411h6Q

Piece of cake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbbgSKUZB4&feature=related

Don't see why you shouldn't be able to easily recreate all of those sounds with those three amps, but those were kinda easy ones, huh?

No problem right? Got it covered. :aok

2. buchla300

buchla300 Supporting Member

I got my Kingsley used and I doubt I would lose a penny and I'd probably make some..

3. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

I would venture to say that buying/selling/collecting IS the primary hobby/motivation for some and playing music is secondary. :bonk

4. jjp

jjp Senior Member

This is a thread that those posters to the Red Plate thread should read. That amp, at $2500 will lose $500 the first time it get's sold, as will most of these boutique amps. Wiat 20 years before selling, then you'll get your money back!:roll

5. clarkram

clarkram Member

amps are tools, some people have expensive tools, others are content with less expensive tools....

resale value doesn't factor into my purchase decision, if I like it I buy it, use it, keep it or sell it.

What I don't understand is why people take issue with an amps resale value. Do you go through life buying things based on their theoretical resale value??

and what the hell does "mimmick" mean?

6. jjp

jjp Senior Member

Almost any of these amps, boutique and otherwise, will lose money the first time they get sold. I was contemplating selling my Mesa LSS which I have not had that long. I decided to see what a local store would offer me for it. The store carries Mesa, and they have an LSS on the floor, so it's not like it's esoteric. They would offer me $1200, and then sell it for $1500. The amp lists for $2050 right now. That's a $500 difference (never mind the $800 difference between what I paid and what they were going to give me.)!! The fact that the amp is two months old, looks as new as the one on the floor in the shop, doesn't matter. It competes with their inventory, and they are a dime a dozen.

This place or the Canadian Guitar Forum, or tdpri.com, or the Boogie Board are the best places to sell this stuff if you want to get a decent $$ for your amp. Boutique aren't mass market. By putting them on Craigs list, you are inviting the uninformed mass market to come and bid on your esoteric product that they no nothing about, and have never even heard of.

What holds their value? Those original Fender, Marshal and VOX amps, Dumble, the older, original Matchless (though that's even a stretch). I just ordered a Swart AST MkII which costs $2400. If I tried to sell it a week after I got, I'd have a hard time getting $2000 for it on the open market, and it woudl probably sit there for months.

If the only reason someone is buying an amp is so that it will hold it's value, then you're going to be quite limited in what you are buying.

7. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

The point I'm feeling, pretty sharply, is that I don't feel a great condition, $2700 amp in a less common color (Hate to say custom since I don't know the builders normal color scheme) shouldn't be worth $700 or less on a trade because there aren't 100 of them out there or some meth head stole one and sold it on Ebay for that much recently. I don't think it should be common practice to offer nearly nothing to someone based on it not being something that can be flipped in week. I don't try and profit from buy and sell with amps, but I don't think being offered 1/5th the original selling price is reasonable.

8. ford

ford Modz Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Watch an amp builder go out.. spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours creating this new amp.. that does crazy things.... crazy new harmonics...

and then watch it not sell... and when someone buys it... and goes to resell it... they will take a huge hit on resale.....

Truthfully, new amps from Marshall, Mesa, Fender and Vox take a pretty big hit when they hit the used market..... anyone not getting at least 40 percent off of MSRP on a used amp from the big makers... isn't trying hard.

9. somedude

somedude Member

You also have to be reasonable to the retailer. I don't know what it's like where you are, but around here $1500 amps don't sell very well, so none of the dealers around here would be interested in shelling out a $1500 for an amp that no one's ever heard of before when it's just going to sit and take up valuable floor space for the next two or three years before they finally get fed up and discount it at a loss just to get rid of it. However, if they could get it for $700 and sell it for $1000 they may go for it.

10. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

In todays economy, don't buy anything you don't want.

11. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Quit crying that your amp is only worth 50% of what you paid new 3 years later. Compared to most consumer products (cars, washing machines, clothes, furniture) THAT'S FANTASTIC! Don't even get me started on CONSUMER ELECTRONICS in general. WAHHHHH My flat screen TV isn't worth what I paid for it new. My computer is worthless 2 years after I bought it. My I-pad didn't appreciate with inflation. WTF do you expect? Seriously. That it's going to be worth the same as new? No warranty! USED! parts degrading! WELCOME to LIFE, dude. Buy used instead of new if you don't want to take a depreciation hit and let this OUTRAGEOUS phenomenon work for you instead of crying in your beer how your amp didn't turn out to be a IRA filled with government backed CDs kicking out tax free interest instead of music.

12. somedude

somedude Member

Rock on Christian soldiers.

13. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

01000010011101010111100100100000011000010010000001110101011100110110010101100100001000000110000101101101011100000010000001100001011011100110010000100000011001010110111001101010011011110111100100100000011010010111010000101110

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

While snarky, in truth, this is an extremely well thought out and written post that we all should take to heart.

15. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

what I see locally is that guitar amps fall into the same category as drum sets and home gym / weight benches - as soon as a guy gets married or moves in with his girlfriend they are quickly put up for sale cheap.

16. somedude

somedude Member

:roll

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Everything - nearly everything - is taking a hit on resale. Even if you're buying used, as Bobby D. advises. That's my MO, and even there, a year down the road you get all kinds of kick back when you try and sell that big name used something at what you already know is a fair price (less than or at least no higher than the depreciated price you paid not long ago.)

It's an environmental thing, has lots to do with brand recognition, not all that much to do with quality IMO.

MD

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

I think way too many players don't really dedicate enough time and research into
    where they are investing their hard earned dollars and why.

Is the amp for noodling, for recording, for live small club use or
    larger venues.
    Did you really think your neighbors were going to put up
    with hearing you practice, at any volume?

Perhaps the fine amp you just purchased finally reveals how much
    you need to work on your execution? Or that your guitar needs
    intonation work, or that you've chosen the wrong speakers.

I buy KEEPERS and only Keepers.

Carefully selected specialty amps, that do what I expect of them
    as a working tool.

19. fatcontroller

fatcontroller Member

I read on TGP at one point that someone thought of any loss on sale of gear as a rental fee. I liked that - there's a cost associated with buying/selling/wanting to try everything/not being satisfied with one of many high-quality items. So be it - It's the cost of my hobby. If I were a golfer, I'd pay greens fees that I would never recoup.

One of the things that a modern builder offers is reliability and serviceability. As awesome a resale a vintage ac30 may have, I'd be reluctant to take it on the road. What's piece of mind worth?

But yeah, it's a bad time to sell full-boat items.

20. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I think part of the problem is no one really cares about your tone but you and maybe other musicians/players but the general audience whether its live or studio does know rats ass about guitar tone. So we should only be buying stuff to satisfy us not anyone else. I also think an amp built with the highest quality parts by a small builder vs a cheaply made mass produced amp may not really sound any better. Just like is a BMW any better of a car to get you to from point A to point B than a Honda? Probably not but depending on the model there could be an easy $10k price difference. I would never buy a new amp boutique or mass produced unless I kept mystuff for many many years and even then I'd probably rather buy used.