I'm tired of my board...PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratmaster48, Aug 20, 2008.

1. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

I'm running: 335 > Teese RMC3LE > EB Volume > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 MM4 > HBE Psilocybe > Peterson Strobo > Custom 1x12

1. I can't seem to dial in my TEESE right. I just want an all around good wah sound (HELP)

2. My volume doesn't work like I thought it would. It works like my volume knob on my guitar (cuts gain before actual volume). Is there a volume pedal that will leave the gain/tone where it is, and just lower the volume (so I can step on it for leads).

3. I want a "set it and forget it" echo/delay pedal for leads to add some body. I also want a delay with tap tempo that I can get some good slapback. the DL4 just isn't cutting it.

4. MM4 is not my style. I need some modulation effects that are going to be strange. Like maybe a synth pedal or something similar (HELP).

5. I think I'm going to keep my Psilocybe because I don't think i've fully captured its beauty.

I've started to play more "out there" stuff, and my effects just aren't cutting it. My guitar > Amp sound is out of this world, but I need more when i'm not playing with my jazz group. Please some help me!

Thanks,
    Annoyed Guitarist

2. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

Put the volume last on your chain and you'll get the sounds that you want

3. jstone

jstone Member

If you have a effect loop try to hook your delay and modulation effects there before writing them off. Maybe throw your volume pedal in the loop as well??
    Then your guitar will be the gain and the pedal like the amps master volume.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Ditto...last (but generally I like to have it before Delay!) or after all dirt.

On the first point, the wah, all you say is you don't like it. But WHAT don't you like? Often, pinpointing to the point where you can actually communicate what you don't like, will lead you to the answer anyway.

Plug into it, and try and see if you can figure out what you don't like?
    Some general complaint areas often are:

1) too large a range...many would think bigger range is better, but it means that it is way more sensitive so instead of heel-toe, you got to find the sweet spot and very little back and forth makes it. Sometimes less of a sweep range is much easier to deal with!

2) Resonant freq. If you feel like it just tends to be too trebly, or too bassy, there is a simple fix...you can move the sprocket on the pot a few teeth one way or the other to adjust it's general tonality. I almost always find I have to go a little bassier and then I'm happy.

3) Boost or cut or unity....
    4) interaction with fuzz in front of it. Losing "wah" (needs a buffer or a fuzz like the MXR 108 classic fuzz which has built in buffer for wah)
    5) technique. Guitarists tend to trivialize playing a wah...it actually takes practicing WITH the wah, listening, learning to play it with feel, to sync it with solos, etc. I keep amazing myself that when I spend more and more time with mine I keep learning cool things to do. For one thing, on most of mine, there is a sweet spot where just the tiniest back and forth motion sounds like "waaaahhhh" whereas if I had gone heel-toe it would be LESS pronounced. It's weird.

I have quite a few wahs, but one...the 535Q I also have a hard time dialing in because I am not always sure WHAT sound I want. I know it when I hear it. But I lucked into a great setting, wrote it down, and then experiment. I find that after level issues (unity, boost, or cut...I like unity or very slight boost) and general overall tone, I can almost set mine anywhere....and then learn the ins and outs of the setting, and grow to like and get good at it.

Anyway, WHAT don't you like about the settings you've been using?

5. slacker

slacker Senior Member

6. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

That or take it out altogether. I can't stand volume pedals myself, a good guitar with a bleed mod works better imho.

7. KBN

KBN Member

So I take it you are getting your gain from the amp then? Unless you can put the volume pedal in an effects loop so that it is after your preamp it will always function much like your guitar volume knob. If you have an effects loop try your delays and modulation in the loop as well as others have suggested. Otherwise, you may want to explore the idea of setting your amp clean and running an overdrive early in the signal chain.

8. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

1. I don't like that my on/off switch activates/deactivates very easy. Is there a way I can tighten it.

2. I don't like the sweep its giving off. It's very thin sounding. About half way from back to forward, almost all volume drops out of it. I'd like to get a good all around wah sound without giving up tone.

I'm going to try putting my delay and my volume in my fx loop and see how that works out. I would like some crazy modulation effects, but haven't really had much experience with anything. Is there anything I should look for or try out?

9. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

I've never found a OD that works well with my guitar and amp

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

For "crazy mod effects," the Line 6 should have it covered. I think you might be able to regain your dynamics if you put the L6's in the loop. Also the volume pedal, or loose it altogether, unless you do those violin-swells.

The phaser and the wha in front of the amp should connect with your guitar in an organic system. The L6's are all digital and can mess your tone up. Keep them separated.

The Teese may just not be jiving with your hubuckers all that well.

11. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

what have you tried? What sound are you looking for?

12. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

you have your chain as follows...

335 > Teese RMC3LE > EB Volume > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 MM4 > HBE Psilocybe > Peterson Strobo > Custom 1x12

Try this...

335 > Teese RMC3L3 > HBE Psilocybe > L6 MM4 > EB Volume (which model...I believe your humbuckers are outputing 500k if im not mistaken and if you get the EB Jr. 6180 it has a 250K volume pot so that's possibly where you are lacking in the gain and volume) > L6 DL4 > Peterson Strobo > your amp...

As far as the DL4 is concerned...i would keep it...just takes some time to find the settings you like...you can go from slap back to out of this world sounds that you are looking for...trust me...I will never get rid of mine...

I'll try to go home tonight and try to find some good settings for you...report back within the week...check your volume pedal which model it is...it will make a difference...i have one and I do not have any of the problems you are having but I have a tele so my pickups are putting out 250k so I'm not getting your problem...let me know

13. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

The first thing you'll want to do is send your setup to my house, in care of me with no intentions of ever getting it back.

I think that would solve your problem and ease my GAS at the same time.

14. -=solewheelin

-=solewheelin Member

With the RMC3LE, try dip switches 1-3 down and 4-9 up.
    Start with taking 9 down if thats too much bass. Then try taking 4 down to sculpt the tone. Q all the way up. Bass and V as you like it.
    Heres the final sound that I was happy with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdXJXgSj55E

15. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

I too had a Teese RMC3 Wah and could never get it dialed in just right, the sounds were just, ok. I traded it for a ProAnalog Super Quack and again it was just, ok. I ordered a new Area 51 Wah and have been blown away by the way it sounds. My wah problems are finally over. Wanna buy a Super Quack:D

16. -=solewheelin

-=solewheelin Member

yeah man I hear great things about the Area 51 wah.
    Can you point me to a good sound file?
    I literally sat with the RMC3 for 2 hours figuring out the tones. The dip switches seem to have a personality of their own.

17. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

Not sure where you can find some Area 51 clips, I bought mine blind although I read several threads here about it. Maybe you can try Youtube.

They build a great wah, all are built to order and mine took about 6 weeks. I didn't get all the options, just the Fuzz Buffer, Quack Control and LED Light. Could never be happier, just a perfect sounding wah.