I'm tired of signature guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omfg51, Jan 24, 2012.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Honestly, I'm getting tired of signature artist guitars, especially les pauls and strats. It's not that they are bad instruments, I mean these are quality made instruments that play really, really well and sound great. They are built like they should be, no question. I just think that so many people have their own variations of the instrument nowadays, and they just keep getting turned into production models when they really shouldn't.

I mean sure, a les paul is a fantastic instrument, but when there is a version modeled after every one of your favorite guitarists, things start to get pointless. I mean more power to any artist who needs an axe that suits them and is made to their specs, but Gibson doesn't need to release a huge run of them just for the public. My favorite would have to be the '59 historic or the traditional. These timeless classics will never die with the amount of story they have.

It's things like the "Don Felder Hotel California 1959 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst" or the "Eric Clapton Beano 1960 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst" that really seem pointless. I mean the price tag is through the roof, and they are literally the exact same as a 59 or 60 RI, save for some relicing and a particular burst. They have many more, all named after a particular artist.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...Gibson-Custom.aspx?ProductGroup=Artist-Models

If there is one person who I think deserves a Signature les paul, it's Paul Kossoff. The guy was the most notable les paul user I can think of.

I'm not trying to bash and these are just my opinions, my favorite guitars are Gibsons and Fenders. I'm just really tired of all these random signature guitars.

2. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

[​IMG]

3. scolfax

scolfax Member

4. omfg51

omfg51 Member

5. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

I see no other way out but to just end it all. Goodbye cruel word.

6. dazco

dazco Member

Sigs are idiotic IMO. But lets face it, they are a marketing ploy. There WILL be those who buy into it, especially kids.

7. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

If there's one person who deserves a signature Les Paul, it's Les Paul.

8. Fons

Fons Member

...rich kids :p

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

[Overheard during strategic marketing meeting at Gibson corporate HQ]

"OK guys, now we've got omfg51's attention and he's getting really pissed off about some of our most recent sig. editions. I say lets finish the job and really push him over the edge with my newest and possibly most offensive idea ever, the Justin Beiber aged LP Limited......I heard he played one once, and am told we can get him cheap anyway." ;)

10. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I have it Henry .....the Michael Jackson Thriller Les Paul , with jackson 5 position switch and push pull tito/evh pot. The headstock will catch fire and the nut islubed with jerry curl juice. best of all the flames with moonwalk acorss the body as the light hits it. And Joe Jackson with relic 25 of them with his belt. Makes as much sense as most sig models

11. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

If it wasn't for the 6100 frets on the PRS DGT I'd probably look to another company. That signature model just offers features that I can't get on another PRS guitar at the price-point.

Until the major companies start offering á la carte, I'll have to go for the feature laden signature models.

I don't like lots of guitar related stuff, but it's not place to dump on other's likes. Yeah, it's a forum and ain't no rich kid - I know what I like and if a company produces it, I'll buy it.

12. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

This. Bring back the LP Recording.

13. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I agree if it's just a matter of slapping a name on an existing model. I own a Ibanez Scofield model - it's basically the same as the AS200, and I do think it's a silly move to make it a signature. But it was a good guitar, and that's the central bit - I'll play anything sig or not if I like it.

The cool signature instruments are of course those with special features. For instance, I don't think there was anything quite like the GB10 in production when banez came out with those. And the combination of features on the EC strat is unique to that

14. elterrell

elterrell Member

Exactly.....it's the original signature guitar. Having two names on it is kinda asinine. Sort of like owning a Porsche Corvette.

15. s2y

s2y Member

So if you went custom and it was effectively YOUR signature model, would you be tired of it?

16. Brazen

Brazen Member

I think a real signature guitar should be what the artist modded himself for his tone. Different pups, different wiring and switches, etc.

I know some are signatures because of paint jobs too.

17. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

Check out Johnny Marr's Jag. He's fixed everything that's wrong with that guitar. The guys on the road year after year and gig after gig can really inject some further design qualities.

18. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

You went wrong with the idea that signature models have something to do with the endorser "deserving" them. Like I said in the other thread; it's a business deal, not a trophy.

19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

did you even read what you wrote? :huh

Or is the world really just all about you and what you like?

20. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I'm tired of sig guitars too. They're almost as boring as relics. Seriously, a Kiefer Sutherland sig guitar?! :crazy

The only sig guitar that I'd be interested in is the J. Marr Jaguar because of the functional changes made to the guitar, not because of fanboyism. And it seems Fender isn't going to charge any more for it than their AVRI series.