I'm tired of signature guitars

kenneth

Exactly.....it's the original signature guitar. Having two names on it is kinda asinine. Sort of like owning a Porsche Corvette.
Yeah, I always thought the Slash Les Paul was kinda over the top, having two artists as signatures.

But, on the fender side, I predict soon we may have the Fender Townshend Clapton Custom Shop Strat.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I love Paul Kossoff's playing, but is he really the most notable Les Paul player you can think of? You may be somewhat myopic.

Polynitro

I'm tired of sig guitars too. They're almost as boring as relics. Seriously, a Kiefer Sutherland sig guitar?! :crazy

The only sig guitar that I'd be interested in is the J. Marr Jaguar because of the functional changes made to the guitar, not because of fanboyism. And it seems Fender isn't going to charge any more for it than their AVRI series.
that thing is cool though...a 336? or whatever it is. I dont even like Gibson and I want one.

People just hate variety apparently. Or choice.

yucatown

Gold Supporting Member
Tiny Montgomery said:
I love Paul Kossoff's playing, but is he really the most notable Les Paul player you can think of? You may be somewhat myopic.
Yeah, the op had me until he mentioned Kossoff as deserving of a sig model. I agree that most of these signature models are silly. The Steve Jones LP Custom? It has modern ceramic pickups in it, which I'm guessing are not what he had in his. But it does have the tone inducing pinup girls.

TresGatos

Exactly.....it's the original signature guitar. Having two names on it is kinda asinine. Sort of like owning a Porsche Corvette.
Does that even make sense?

Two names is asinine?

So Porsche Carrera or Callaway Corvette is asinine? C'mon, at least argue on topic. :huh

Eric Johnson Strat is completely different from other Strats.
Merle Haggard Telecaster is completely different from other Teles.
Buckethead Les Paul is completely different from other Les Pauls.
I don't have to like them but I can't say they are the same old - same old.
I agree there are lame ones out there (Joe Strummer, Avril Lavigne and more) but to diss all of them closes the door to many awesome guitars spec'd out by actual players that know what they like.

supa-fuzz

Having a signature model will be a thing of the past, Warren Haynes deserves an entire "signature collection" for all the Les Pauls, Firebirds, 335's, 355's he employs!

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
You're in luck. Gibson debuted a Paul Kossoff Les Paul last week at NAMM. It's about time, isn't it?

The one they used as a basis for the model was the '59 Burst Koss threw up in the air at Madison Square Garden in NYC and broke the neck off. It was repaired, and is now owned by an English guitarist.

Arc Angel

Having a signature model will be a thing of the past, Warren Haynes deserves an entire "signature collection" for all the Les Pauls, Firebirds, 335's, 355's he employs!
Give it time, he may yet get one ... (a collection that is).

padavis

Well... I posted on the other rant bout sig guitars and I've thought about something since... im not totally flipflopping but here's something that hit me. I feel like Dickie Betts should have a sig guitar and he does. Did Jeff Tweedy affect his genre as much as Dickey Betts? Heck yes he has! Now maybe it is just a money grab but I truly think a guy like Jeff Tweedy looks as this like an honor and I have decided he's worthy just as much as other guys I REALLY like their guitar playing. Does my opinion really matter no. But. This is a gear discussion page! This dude has valid thoughts u do to share them! Don't just post something like LOL... maybe share some constructive criticism or something. If your gonna be negative at least give ppl your brilliance to judge too...

Dashface

...I have decided he's worthy...

This is the part that I think causes all the trouble in these threads :D

Luckily, and unlike the others around here, you added the following:

Does my opinion really matter no. But. This is a gear discussion page! This dude has valid thoughts u do to share them! Don't just post something like LOL... maybe share some constructive criticism or something. If your gonna be negative at least give ppl your brilliance to judge too...

So good on ya :)

padavis

Dashface said:
This is the part that I think causes all the trouble in these threads :D

Luckily, and unlike the others around here, you added the following:

So good on ya :)
Haha thanks dude! I def have no place to tell others what is worthy or not so I definitely make it clear when its just my opinion. But seriously... Im right. ;)

John Backlund

I'd like there to be a 'John Backlund' signature J. Backlund Design guitar...but I'd like it to really be just a re-badged Jay Turser.

straycat113

I think the OP is confusing a sig with a Limited Edition exact replica run. Outside of the Page Les Paul that had all the push pull out of in phase options I think all the other Gibsons are purely aimed at a certain market, as there is not much of a difference except for the wear marks.Fender has been much more successful as many Strats and Teles have been modded really cool and offer vast tonal differences. Get a Clapton, Beck, Johnson, Blackmore, or Dave Murray Strat and you have a different guitar with all of them. No one ever really did anything drastic with a Lester outside of Page as there was no need to.But everyone has the right to spend their scratch as they please.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Gibson Johnny A. It is a completely unique instrument. I took the truss cover with his sig off tho. I'm not paying 3K to advertise. Its a worthy sig model tho.

Trending Topics