1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm trying really hard to appreciate Billie Eilish . . .

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Fulldrive-1, May 31, 2020.

1. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

. . . but I just don't seem to get it.

Yes, she is "different." And I'm hearing some talent there.

But she doesn't float my boat.

Anybody know what the deal is?

2. drewl

drewl Member

Why?

If you like something or someone, you like them.
    If not, you don't.

Doesn't matter, it's just opinion.

3. TL;DR

TL;DR Member

I’m an old man, I don’t expect to “get” 17 year old girl music.

jrjones, Kluch, scott58 and 45 others like this.
  4. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

No. But she’s not singing to me.

I’ve only heard snippets in passing, nothing grabbed me. But that’s the same for anyone I haven’t heard.

AustinIsPresent, Kizanski and guitrr like this.
  5. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Gold Supporting Member

The deal? Some people like her music, some don’t. Does that explain it? Some people like strawberry ice cream. What’s up with that?

6. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I dig it.

I still think the Rolling Stones are way more boring than they want everyone to think.

jrjones, hanknc, Rob Taft and 23 others like this.
  7. vegarman

vegarman Silver Supporting Member

im an fart too, but dug her music the first time i heard it. she is for a young crowd, but hell shes a youngster herself. check her out on austin city limits, you will see her appeal to her generation, its a fun watch. i like strawberry fields forever.

buddaman71 and homeunit like this.
  8. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

I don't get it either but many are easily lead via social media hype and approval by influencers which then triggers the masses to jump on board. Nothing against her either as she's not asking me for approval...nor should she.

9. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I am 47 and I like some of her stuff. ‘Everything I wanted’ is a really good tune. Like any other singer/songwriter, maybe her stuff just isn’t for you.

Woowoo and MrGuitarhack like this.
  10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Big thread appeared here outlining every POV one might imagine a while back.

Jim S, mildew, Leader Desslok and 2 others like this.
  11. DinoMikeSr

DinoMikeSr Member

You don't have to. I checked her out and recognize she's got something. I'm not going to listen to it or buy it but she has it. I'm 57, I love what I love and she isn't it. But, she has it, and youth are going to dig it. I don't have to, I just respect the gift.

12. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Well put, TT...
    the TGP Billie Eilish Rosetta Stone: Have fun...
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/billie-eilish-has-it-right.2101256/

Cup of Cheese and homeunit like this.
  13. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

She and her brother are obviously talented and have some cool music, but like anything, it won't click for everyone.

FPFL, MrGuitarhack, hippieboy and 2 others like this.
  14. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

You shouldn't have to try hard to appreciate anything. It's either there or it isn't.

It's not there for me either. Dang it....

15. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member

Why are you trying to like any kind of music, and why are you asking others what the deal is with why you don't like it?

16. bserrill

bserrill Supporting Member

To me, she is the "horse whisperer" of music. Literally, she whispers when she sings. Not that this is bad but I can hardly hear her coming through : ) She does a good job. Can totally understand not "getting" her. To the straight-up rock fan that is the general impression I hear too.

Captain Sco and homeunit like this.
  17. homeunit

homeunit Supporting Member

I think she's great. I'm old, (48) but I am willing to give anything a go. If I don't like it, I move on.

I never want to get so rigid in my tastes that I can't appreciate difference. I'll end up sounding like those truly old farts who hate everything post 1975.

18. 27sauce

27sauce Member

If I were you I would focus my energy on trying to use two capos at once.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  19. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I think sometimes it's enough to think 'I can see there's talent there, but it's not for me'. Music's an emotional thing, and there's no real logic to what we respond to and what we don't. There's a ton of stuff popular on TGP that doesn't do anything for me but I see the merit in it and I'm happy that other people love it, I'm just not going to spend any more time trying to get it.

The only thing that bothers me - and Billie threads seem to bring out the worst in people on here - is when someone listens to something, decides that because they don't get it she must be the emperor's new clothes and ridicules anyone who claims to like it. That's not a good look.

20. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

The couple of things I heard didn't appeal to me, but I'm not her target audience either. If you don't like her, it's OK. It never fails; female artists who win Grammys usually disappear within a year.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    PickPlucker and stratohiker like this.