I'm trying to get a little help here

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MCDiamond, Mar 1, 2015.

1. MCDiamond

MCDiamond Member

For the last ten years I've been hosting karaoke shows (usually three or four per week). For much of that time I have used and been delighted with my Mackie 808s. Last week I played at a new club where there was some electrical problem with an outlet that I was using. The Mackie didn't make any sound ...just wouldn't turn on. Naturally I went out to the car and brought in my back-up (Yamaha thousand watt powered mixer similar to the Mackie). Proving to myself once again that I am, indeed, an idiot, I plugged it right in to the same surge protector as the Mackie. I switched it on and it made a semi-loud popping noise and then went silent. So I took it across the room plugged into a different location and bingo... it's been working fine ever since. No such luck with the old faithful Mackie.
    Anybody out there with some magical, low-cost cure?

2. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

Quite possibly a fuse. That's about as magical and low cost as you can hope for

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

Try the Live Sound forum.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

+1
    Thread moved

5. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

OP, sounds like whatever you do, you need to look into a power conditioner / regulator type product to keep that from happening again.

I have a Furman ar-1215 I lucked into pretty recently that can convert crappy voltage (high or low) to usable 120v, it also acts as a surge protector and will cut off if the power spikes or lags too much. Several other products of this nature available and they seem like a good idea when plugging your gear into questionable sockets.