I'm up for a Analogman KoT! Not sure what mods to get or not get. Advice?

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
Hey!

Just got that e-mail telling me it's my turn to buy a KoT. Rad!

Now, It's been some time since I've been on the list and haven't really done my research... but I know there are options/mods you can get done to it..

For those that own a KoT here... did you get a mod done or just get the regular version unmodded? What are some popular mods people like to get done? Is there anything I should consider / look at, or is the unmodded version great without any changes?

Please let me know your thoughts! Gonna dig in and research a bit more after work before purchasing so any advice helps :)

Jambo

Silver Supporting Member
I got the “hi gain” on the red channel, which isn’t all that hi gain. I use the red channel a lot more than the yellow channel so I’m happy I got it. I also use a loop switcher so having the extra in/out was a no brainer for me. LOVE the KOT, it’s the only pedal that hasn’t been kicked off since I got it 6 yrs ago.

onestop

Gold Supporting Member
I'd have to agree with @Jambo Go high gain and red side and the extra in/out is a nice to have. The only other option I'd consider is external toggle. Otherwise, get ready for a GREAT pedal!

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
I got the “hi gain” on the red channel, which isn’t all that hi gain. I use the red channel a lot more than the yellow channel so I’m happy I got it. I also use a loop switcher so having the extra in/out was a no brainer for me. LOVE the KOT, it’s the only pedal that hasn’t been kicked off since I got it 6 yrs ago.
I use a ES8 on a massive board too, so I might opt for the additional in/outs.

I'm gonna have to find some samples/clips of each channel and how the high gain sounds VS not high gain.

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
I'd have to agree with @Jambo Go high gain and red side and the extra in/out is a nice to have. The only other option I'd consider is external toggle. Otherwise, get ready for a GREAT pedal!
Thanks!

Excuse my ignorance, as I'm sure I could research this... but... what does the external toggle do?

Jambo

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks!

Excuse my ignorance, as I'm sure I could research this... but... what does the external toggle do?

There are internal dip switches that select modes; either boost, overdrive or distortion. The external toggle moves that selection to the outside if I remember correctly. For me the pedal was pretty much set and forget, it came from the factory with red side OD and yellow side boost. I’ve never been tempted to change it but that’s just me.

TheRealDeal

Get the JHS mod.

191be5ab212d00bb6407b0e88a66ca4123ec7178_hq.jpg

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW - I'm about to send mine back for the 4-jack mod. Have hi-gain red, and switch on outside (which I never really use).
With the 4 mod jack, are you now forced to connect the 2 sides to get them in sequence?

What I mean is.... without the mod, you put it in, it goes through one side, then the other, than to output... but with the 4 mod, do you need to connect the output of one side into the input of the other before running the final output to your amp? Or is that stack done internally?

xjohnkdoex

if it were me, i'd get the four jacks and high-gain red.

from the KOT site--
If you use a remote switching system, or want a pedal or pedals between the two sides of the KOT, you might want separate inputs and ouputs for each side. We can offer a four jack Ver4 option for $50 on a new pedal or $75 as a mod. You can still use two jacks like the normal KoT and go through both sides. The jacks are "normalized" so when you plug into just the two outer jacks, the signal is routed through both sides just like a normal KOT. This option may not be possible if you have an older KOT, as there may not be room for two more jacks. We have been spreading the jacks further apart on KOT pedals starting in 2015 or so, which allows adding the extra jacks. See the picture to the right and you may get an idea if we can add 2 jacks to yours.

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
if it were me, i'd get the four jacks and high-gain red.

from the KOT site--
If you use a remote switching system, or want a pedal or pedals between the two sides of the KOT, you might want separate inputs and ouputs for each side. We can offer a four jack Ver4 option for $50 on a new pedal or $75 as a mod. You can still use two jacks like the normal KoT and go through both sides. The jacks are "normalized" so when you plug into just the two outer jacks, the signal is routed through both sides just like a normal KOT. This option may not be possible if you have an older KOT, as there may not be room for two more jacks. We have been spreading the jacks further apart on KOT pedals starting in 2015 or so, which allows adding the extra jacks. See the picture to the right and you may get an idea if we can add 2 jacks to yours.
Perfect, that's all I needed to know there! Definitely getting that then. Now I'm checking out clips to decide between high gain or not.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I have a kot I bought used and I’m also on the list for a new one. I have the hi-gain red. I think the pedal sounds best with both sides set lo-gain and both on all the time. So I think when my email comes I’ll get both sides normal gain. I think that’s where the magic is. There’s not too many other options I’m interested in. I had my second hand one upgraded to handle 18v but prefer the pedal at 9v. I might get the four jack in case I change the way I use the pedal, but it would be if little use the way I’m using it now.

Mike R.

I got the normal gain and am hitting the OD (right) side with a Bad Bob Boost or a Kingsley Page.
I have the left side set for a volume boost.

BluesBUSTER

High gain both sides. It's not very "hi gain" , just a little more than the regular, and with the dip switches that can be controlled. The 4 jacks may be a good idea, depending on how you're planning to use it.

mdrake34

Jazzmaster60

I agree with the red side as a high gain . I also agree with the 4 jacks option as that is certainly a good flexible option if y0u have a looper .
The King Of Tone , according to someone who I trust @coltonius is a set and forget pedal . So I’m not getting the toggle option .
Although as a painter A coloured enclosure is something I cannot resist . Mainly because I don’t like the purple .

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
With the 4 mod jack, are you now forced to connect the 2 sides to get them in sequence?

What I mean is.... without the mod, you put it in, it goes through one side, then the other, than to output... but with the 4 mod, do you need to connect the output of one side into the input of the other before running the final output to your amp? Or is that stack done internally?

No. It's done internally

Trending Topics

Top Bottom