I'm usually not a big fan of him as a guitar player

Teleking

Supporting Member
But I think John Mayer is a fabulous singer. For anyone who has sang and tried to work to get good, listen to this. Mayer's phrasing, tone and control over his voice on this is ace level. He's so flawless on his delivery and how he cuts off his notes. Yes, a clever fade can do it, but I think this is legit stuff. Really impressive. For those looking for vocal gymnastics, this isn't the song for you, but for anyone who has spent time trying to get a good vocal take on something like this, they'll certainly respect!

guitarjb44

Supporting Member
You managed to praise exactly what I dislike - those breathy vocals. Flawless -about 5 seconds of his singing made my skin crawl. It’s all a flaw as far as I’ m concerned.
I agree too. His actual singing technique is terrible- although perhaps not as bad as it used to be. Maybe he worked with a vocal coach sometime along the way over the past 17 years since his first album(??). But technique aside- I just don’t like his vocal style.

Rockledge

I think he is a very good guitarist, but he doesn't do anything musically that appeals to me. I have listened to quite a few of his albums and they are just not at all inspiring.
I've seen him on TV a few times, and I can't stand to watch him and all those contrived faces he makes. He looks like he practices them in the mirror.
He would be a good backup musician in someone elses band.

Oriondk

I think that breathing singing style is probably what’s sexy to the girls. Not a fan of it all the time but I like some of what I’ve heard from him. But not something I’d buy.

JoeYello

Supporting Member
I am not a fan of the breathy vocals or the acoustic type stuff he did years ago but I respect him as a musician. I have the album with Gravity on it and it’s a decent album.

Fu Schnickens

I strongly dislike his strangely over-enunciated breathy vocals. It sounds like a good singer with motor/muscle control issues. Great whole-package performer, though.

Rossi163

Supporting Member
I cringe whenever I hear that dreck of his "Yer bahhhdy is a wondahlaahnd, blah, blah, blah"

It may be the single worst song ever in the history of recorded music. So insipid, so God awful.

I would like to meet him just so I can mimic and ridicule that breathy, wimpy lisp he employs on that turd of a song.

Oriondk

I cringe whenever I hear that dreck of his "Yer bahhhdy is a wondahlaahnd, blah, blah, blah"

It may be the single worst song ever in the history of recorded music. So insipid, so God awful.

I would like to meet him just so I can mimic and ridicule that breathy, wimpy lisp he employs on that turd of a song.
I thought that was one of the dumbest ass songs.

Teleking

Supporting Member
Ha! What a bunch of guitar players. As someone who has sang for a long time, what he did here is not easy to make all that work. A lot of times it's much easier to belt something out than control your voice in the way he has here.

Wino67

Supporting Member

Killin me. "Turd" of a song. Man, did I need that laugh.

SnidelyWhiplash

Supporting Member
I happen to think that he is very talented. Plus, look at the
very beautiful women he has squired around over the yrs.
Beats the hell out of my life! :(

I think a lot of " criticism " over the yrs. is inspired from
one color only. Because of the $ he has made & the
emotions he elicits. :cool:

Trending Topics