I'm usually not a big fan of him as a guitar player

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Teleking, Sep 10, 2019 at 10:39 PM.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Based on his album sales I’m going to go out on a limb and say he disagrees.

2. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

This ^^^

I love his playing, but as soon as he starts singing, I'm out.....

theanthonyv likes this.
  3. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Modern marketing at its' finest. It is amazing what advertising and promotion can do.
    No doubt the music industry likes him a great deal.

4. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

Yeah, the goal would not be to impress anyone, but rather to remind him how loathsome that song and performance is. But he probably already knows this by now. How could he not? Does he still play it at shows?

5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

No doubt he does, and the dude would be a fool to walk away from a golden goose industry that knows how to promote him and make a "star" with him. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. ChaChaCha

ChaChaCha Member

I'm not his big fan but really admire his bluesy impro skills.

7. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Give him time guys....I think he has a chance of making his mark.

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

That TRIO live album he did is pretty great. His singing is excellent on that album, full voice and not as much as the breathy "affected" vocal that is obviously prevalent in much of his studio stuff.
    Easy to see how some people, especially men might not fawn over that vocal style.
    But honestly, he is super talented.

9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I've gained respect for his playing skills over the past few years, and he certainly is an excellent entertainer, but his singing? The best I could say is that he's on pitch, so that's good. But among "great" singers? Gosh, no.

10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Agreed, but how so in your estimation? Surely not simply in that we have different tastes, I'd venture.

neastguy likes this.
  11. chandra

chandra Member

I feel that Mayer would've been a very successful musician regardless of the entertainment marketing machine.

Probably because he's a really good guitar player, songwriter, passable singer, and doesn't get caught up in being a "guitar hero".

tapeworm, monty and vanderkalin like this.
  12. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

It was mainly in response to someone saying one of the most succesful artists of our time would if been better off pursuing a career as a sideman.

13. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

He's made good creative use of utilizing a not so great singing voice and limited register to his advantage, but it's obviously taken its toll with having to get surgery. I don't know if it's ingenious or blind luck but the women ate up that whispy voice thing in the beginning and if he tried to belt he probably wouldn't have had the success he did. I personally can't enjoy listening to his style of singing.

14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I don't. As I say, I think he would have made a good backup musician in a pop group, he is a very good guitarist ( although good guitarists are a penny a bushel now). But his songwriting is rather garden variety and as a front man he looks too contrived and rehearsed.
    He is a smart guy though, he certainly knows how to let others market his skills well and ride the wave. I don't find fault in anyone who can do that.

15. chandra

chandra Member

See, I can’t get behind this train of thought.

Lebron can’t shoot, has questionable defense at times, and isn’t a “clutch” player. He has many strengths, but noticeable and exploitable flaws. I don’t think anyone would ever claim him to be a “good 2nd or 3rd option” on another team.

Let’s apply this to the topic at hand now. How is it that John Mayer, a man who has shown to be a headlining draw for almost twenty years; a songwriter who has written hits for years across different genres and performs on albums for many different artists; the man successfully playing the part of Jerry Garcia in a headlining band of a completely different genre for the last four years...how would he be better suited as a backup of a pop group?

Wyzard, jpastras, Oriondk and 2 others like this.
  16. klapaucjusz1

klapaucjusz1 Member

Personally I am a big fan of John Mayer.

I really like his guitar playing. Very tasty.

I don't think he has a great voice, but over the years his singing has gotten better and better. I think the turning point was Born and Raised. Before this album he was very adventurous with his singing, used a lot of falsetto, you could hear a lot of effort in his singing. From Born and Raised onwards I feel he has started to write songs which are more relaxed vocally and therefore he sounds much better singing them. He is now writing more to his strengts, or with better awareness of his own limitations. Maybe he got some vocal training too. Botom line is I really like his singing now.

But the most important thing for me is that about 30% of the songs he writes are real gems (IMHO). I don't care about the rest, but I have a playlist of Mayer songs I love, and the list gets longer with every album.

Wyzard, Gldtp07, monty and 2 others like this.
  17. CDP

CDP Member

Single males in their early 20's with no children don't like the new 2020 Chrysler minivan.

Dudes on TGP don't JM's vocal style, tone or phrasing.

Not sure which comes as more of a shock.

Gevalt likes this.
  18. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

There is no point in arguing with him anymore. What Rockledge is basically saying is the equivalent of saying Lebron would of been better off just playing for fun at his local gym instead if going to NBA. It’s fine to dislike an artist but he’s chalking his success up to purely advertisement and promotion not realizing that every succesful artist uses promoters and more often than not that still doesn’t work. Surely he is trolling at this point. I think we have another Billy Moss on our hands.

Cb and chandra like this.
  19. neastguy

neastguy Member

I dig his guitar playing and tones he gets... his singing and songs bore me to death (too sappy dave matthewy.. ick) and if they came on the radio in my car I would change it pretty fast.. but with that being said.. the dude gots skillz

Rockledge likes this.
  20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I have no clue who "lebaron" is so I can't relate to the analogy.

Karoake strippers who do nothing but sing and dance headline too. Again, it is all about good marketing to the right segment of the herd at the right time.
    Again, he is a pretty good guitarist and would be a good backup musician in a modern pop group.
    Maybe a contributing member as far as songwriting, although I haven't heard a song by him yet that I find very interesting. As far as fronting a band, he obviously has the moves and the expected behavior on stage down, I just do see him as very charismatic or interesting as a performer.
    Which again, means little when it comes to the entertainment industry. The entertainment suits could sell bags of ice to Eskimos.