I'm usually not a big fan of him as a guitar player

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Teleking, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Love him or hate him, JM's got legit guitar skills. He's surprised me each time I have heard him play live. His vocals I am not really fond of, but I don't hate them either. He can hold a tune, it's just that I like vocals with a bit more anger.

2. killer blues

killer blues Member

Well, he's singing to girls! I'll bet they like it.

SnidelyWhiplash and jpastras like this.
  3. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Such an absurd shallow end of the gene pool stereotyping of all who disagree with your obvious fascination with the guy completely invalidates anything expressed in your post.
    Personally, I do grow a mustache, sideburns and a bit of a goatee but I shave my neck.
    And my mother died in 2003, I haven't lived in her house since 1972. My house that is paid for and sits on 5 beautiful partially wooded acres does indeed have a basement, but I mostly use it for storage since moving my shop to one of the outbuildings on my property.

Someone being mass promoted and making huge money in the entertainment industry is not an indication of their personal talent, it is an indication of them being pliable enough to do what it takes to gain mass appeal using what talent the posess.
    Not that I think Mr Mayer is untalented, he definitely is a good guitarist.
    I seen nobody say what Mr Mayer "deserves to do". My personal comment, that I stand by, is that he would make a good backup musician.
    Bonamassa did so and did quite well as the member of a band, and he is a far better guitarist, singer, and performer than Mr Mayer.

theanthonyv likes this.
  4. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

5. gmann

gmann Member

Bingo! While not a favorite guitar player of mine I do think he's good. It's his singing that I really don't like.

6. Louthunder

Louthunder Member

We sure have a bunch of f&*#ed up judgemental, whiney A-holes on this forum! I would love to hear 99.9 % of you guys sing and play ! This forum is almost getting unbearable to read anymore !!

7. jpastras

Hey - I am not trying to take a personal potshot so much as I am trying to typify a really strange hypercritical attitude befitting the owner of the Android’s dungeon comic book shop when it comes to John Mayer. It’s particularly weird, since all of the evidence basically indicates he has much more in common with Elton John or Sting than he does with Katy Perry. I am not a huge fan, I don’t even own a record. I just cannot understand why people attempt to form such a wildly inaccurate depiction of the guy as if it’s fact, when the circumstances indicate pretty clearly it ain’t.

Joe B. is a more technically proficient guitarist. Everything else you attribute to him is completely subjective, and since he’s nowhere near as successful as Mayer, even though he plays the same music, courts at least a portion of the same audience, etc. that it might be worth considering that your thoughts are just opinions, and that the prevailing sentiment does not concur, and that Might mean something.

The Beatles are a more popular band than Herman’s Hermits. They are also considered considered widely to be better than Herman’s Hermits. I can’t give you measurements or objective reasoning as to why, but when people say they really like the Beatles, and they like them more than Herman’s Hermit’s, my first reaction is not to fabricate all the reasons that they should not be so successful, or try to explain it all away. I also don’t attempt to define decades long, enduring popularity as an aberration or a cultural zeitgeist or the product of clever marketing.

People aren’t dancing to Gravity at their weddings because of marketing or the singer’s **** me eyes. They like the song because it landed with them in some way, and that is the product of talent.

I want to apologize for being harsh, I am just frustrated with the insistence that entirely subjective and poorly-supported opinion is fact.

ethereal cereal, Gldtp07, Cb and 2 others like this.
  8. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

He is making money, so he must be making great music!
    Gotta run, Beiber is on TV

9. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

How can anyone not love him? Your opinion is the only one that matters.

What a hypocritical post. Classic

10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

No apology necessary, I enjoy good healthy debate and banter.

I really haven't a clue what an android comic book is or the shops that sell them, so I don't get the reference.
    I know why the Beatles got popular beyond imagination, it is because they were a completely new thing, new sound, new hairstlyes, new manner of dress and didn't need much marketed, their act marketed itself as did their albums. The rapidly morphed from a great pop vocal group with extremely good musicianship and vocals into a trailblazer in rock music.
    And had the genius songwriting of Mcartney and Lennon.

Hermans Hermits was a little more like todays pop groups, kind of generic members except the singer ( although the guitarist for HsH was extremely good, I seen them live) and their music was pretty standard radio pop music, and whereas the Beatles were an album band the Hermits was more of a singles act with albums loaded with filler. There is quite a difference between them.
    I think John Mayer is a good guitarist, and has a very interesting style. I would know how to describe it, because he does something more than blues scales but plays them with a blues approach, but seems to use scales more like what hair bands were using in the 80s.
    But I really do not get his popularity, but then again I don't get the popularity of the other dude he is being compared with whose name I can't remember. I think it is more that he just has a look and a style of pop music that goes over well now. He seems to be a bit trendy and up with what is going on in music, that must be it.
    I have had a few of his CDs, and honestly, musically I get nothing from them.
    I've also not heard any of his lyrics that grabbed my attention.
    I seriously picture him being in a band and being the bands ace guitarist rather than a front guy. Again, like Bonamassa did. He isn't nearly the guitarist Ritchie Blackmore was in the 70s, but I picture him being in the same kind of position in a band as Blackmore was in DP.

In fact, it just occurred to me, I feel the same way about most of what Peter Frampton did during rock. The guy is an amazing guitarist but I didn't like most of what he did when he left Humble Pie because his songwriting was just not all that catchy or original sounding. And it lacked riffs.
    I liked Framptons hit songs, and quite a bit of his more recent stuff, but back then I found his albums to lack anything grabbing.
    Both guys had a bit of a pedigree before being solo artists.

I just don't see that his songwriting is that interesting, his vocals sound un-unique to me, and I really can't stand to see him perform, what with all the contrived faces.
    That is an honest evaluation, not an attempt to belittle the guys abilities.
    And as I say, if I was him I would probably keep on doing what he is doing, it seems as if it pays and I am of the notion that you never give up a good thing to chase butterflies.
    Also, something that I see missing in his music, which of course he is not doing rock, he is doing pop music, but if his guitar style were based a little more on recognizable riffs I think his songs would be better. As it is they are pretty standard garden variety fare.

11. jpastras

That is not what people are saying.

Oy, gevalt!

@Rockledge - I hear what you are saying. Different tastes. Zappa seemingly HATED “I’m in you”. And “Frampton Comes Alive”.

“Your Body Is A Wonderland” blows, as far as I am concerned. I started recognizing that the guy was talented when I heard some of the tracks from Continuum. That is strong record-making, beyond most people’s abilities. Good lyrics too. Then I noticed that there were some interesting lyrics in one of his early pop songs. The one about the halls of the high school has a lyric describing mindless conformity as being the thing that turned our parents’ memories into tiny tragedies. That’s a good thought and a nice lyric.

I also saw this once, and I just don’t think Justin Bieber has this in him:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Gevalt likes this.
  12. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

Haha! Why do responses have to be so extreme?
    You may want to re-read and edit your post.

Gevalt likes this.
  13. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

No possible way is he in any way even close to the skills Blackmore had.
    You obviously aren't very knowledgeable about early Deep Purple. Mr Blackmore wasn't just a rock guitarist, you could hear all kinds of influence in early DP music, there is no doubt in my mind the guy studied show tunes. It sounds at times as if the dude had holed him self up and studied Les Paul.

The promoters made sure those songs made it to the masses. Advertising and promotion is just a job, it is a science. If you play something on the radio enough or make it available on the net and draw enough attention to it, people will buy it out of familiarity. That is common advertising 101.
    And Biber isn't who I was referring to, I am not even sure who that is.
    I am talking about the dude whose tour bus got busted dumping its' septic into the river or something like that a few years ago, again I can't remember his name.

14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

No possible way is he in any way even close to the skills Blackmore had.
    You obviously aren't very knowledgeable about early Deep Purple. Mr Blackmore wasn't just a rock guitarist, you could hear all kinds of influence in early DP music, there is no doubt in my mind the guy studied show tunes. It sounds at times as if the dude had holed him self up and studied Les Paul.

The promoters made sure those songs made it to the masses. Advertising and promotion is just a job, it is a science. If you play something on the radio enough or make it available on the net and draw enough attention to it, people will buy it out of familiarity. That is common advertising 101.
    And Biber isn't who I was referring to, I am not even sure who that is.
    I am talking about the dude whose tour bus got busted dumping its' septic into the river or something like that a few years ago, again I can't remember his name.

15. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

The Beatles early on had a huge following before they got any music industry notice. In fact Decca Records turned them down before they got a contract. And they had a promoter that wasn't a music industry guy at all, he in reality was just some dude that was clever at finding ways to get their names out there. But back during rock the horse was in front of the cart most often. A lot of bands had a huge following before ever getting any kind of professional promotion.
    Seriously, if you haven't heard early Deep Purple, some of it isn't recorded that well and all that, but that guy had some amazing guitar skills. If you haven't heard the Deep Purple live in Japan album, it also has some pretty stunning guitar work. That guy was doing stuff that influenced a lot of the metal and hair bands were doing later on.
    Also, I am not saying that John Mayer got popular merely on the basis of promotion, the guy obviously has skills , but again, I just think his guitar skills far outweigh his songwriting, singing and performing skills.
    I really would like to see him join an existing band that needs a guitarist that already has a main songwriter and front man.

16. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

My original comment is just about his singing.

17. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

He just a guy. A guy who is very talented at song writing, singing, and guitar playing. Go try to learn to play Neon, or Stop This Train...then try to sing over it. Report back your results.

18. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

Listen to the solo in 'Child in Time'.

Jonathan31 likes this.
  19. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

What a no talent hack! seriously, this place makes me shake my head sometimes. Screw Tom Cruise, I wanna see JM in a cage match with Beiber! To clarify, I’m a huge fan. Pop needs more dudes like this.

20. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

[​IMG]

vanderkalin likes this.