I'm usually not a big fan of him as a guitar player

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Teleking, Sep 10, 2019.

1. 808

808 Member

I really like John honestly but he is not much of a singer. Great songwriter and guitar player but 1 skill/talent short of the triple threat.

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Are not one's abilities as a performer and one's tastes as a listener entirely separate entities?

theanthonyv and Gevalt like this.
  3. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

:beer My analogy about beiber is about success, not music

JM is objectively great, but a few odd comments earlier said non-fans are just jealous.
    He’d be bigger if we knew less about his personal life. His pants have even more hits than his heart, and that’s great but his legacy is muddled. This idea that his life is so fab, sometimes outshines his music, even to some of his fans. Such as the guys who claim others are jealous, and ironically, are the most jealous, even if in a positive way.

In the alt universe where JM isn’t such a garden variety celeb, he’s more respected because his fame wouldn’t be so famous

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. theanthonyv

theanthonyv Silver Supporting Member

Yes, exactly. Maybe someone should inform all of the Yelp posters that they’re not allowed to comment on restaurants unless they can first prove their own superior culinary skills!

It’s a sophomoric argument to say someone can’t critique something unless they can do it better.

I don’t understand why people get so worked up when others disagree with their opinions of an artist’s merit. It seems like a sign of immaturity or insecurity.

Tim Bowen likes this.
  5. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

Lighten up. Just opinions. No one is changing anyone's mind anyway.

Someones sacred cow (even if it also happens to be an opinion) gets kicked or stepped on, and someones feelings get hurt and they react.

The simple minded fodder that drives multi-page threads.

This in and of itself is also entertaining.

Thank you.

6. BillyO

BillyO Member

Not into him at all but he’s obviously talented

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized that basically anyone who is a famous musician is extreme top level talent in some sense.

There are so many great people trying to get to that level and more coming all the time, so to get there and be able to stay there really says everything

You may not be into him (I’m not) but that is just a matter of taste. He’s not really singing to me and I don’t blame him for that!

Oriondk likes this.
  7. Louthunder

Louthunder Member

This guy knows how to put his thoughts out there without actually saying things like,JM can't play for crap! etc.etc. etc.

8. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I can't lay an egg but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I prefer scrambled light to poached.

9. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I heard some of what he did with them on the radio a while back, and I was surprised that he fit in as well as he did. But I am not a big GD fan. Being an old hippie, their music is a bit nostalgic for me, and once a week the local PBS has a Grateful Dead night, if I am busy working on instruments or in my shop I put it on. It is kind of nice mellow stuff to have on in the background. Other than that, I have a bunch of GD CDs here that I never listen to.
    In fact part of the reason I like his guitar skills is because he was able to adapt them to a rock era band that was off the beaten path to begin with, no small feat for someone his age.

Oriondk and Jonathan31 like this.
  10. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

No, thank you for your sanctimonious condescension. It’s a discussion thread. I have emphasized that I am discussing. You are clearly a genius who has figured out the secret of how Internet message boards work. We are all so much better for your insight on what a discussion is. Thank god we have your contribution.

Save your tremendous wisdom and vaunted position above the fray for somebody who cares.

11. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

Mayer may not be objectively great. Objective stuff is hard in music. If two jazz guys can both play in time, and execute complex 64th note runs in a fast version of, say, Cherokee, we can objectively say they are highly competent, but who knows about the substance? I don’t.

My point is really basic- going by the evidence, the guy is not a flash in the pan, not incompetent, and is much more on the enduring musical legend track. As you noted, if he is a polarizing artist, it ain’t about his career or capabilities as an artist; the career and capabilities are established, and a lawyer would not try to refute them before a judge, because that’s not a tenable argument.

That’s it. It’s a weird argument against obvious circumstance that will not die on this board. If people were saying the same kind of stuff about Elton John, Ritchie Blackmore, or Jimmy Page, I’d be right here making the same counterpoint. It’s absurd. Absurdity doesn’t make me mad, but I might challenge it.

Quality in music is subjective AND circumstantial, but we cannot dispense with any notion of quality in art as nothing more than immaterial relativism. The opinion matters, but the circumstances also matter. This forum doesn’t seem to care about the latter.

It’s all just a discussion.

12. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Re-read my post, although I wasn't talking to you, Mr/Mrs. Mayer. Although I did say he was GREAT, Mr/Mrs. Mayer, so watch where you're pointing that pistola.
    I explained the beiber thing, slowpoke. Success≠talent, so people need to stop using $ as JM's excuse for being annoying to 50% of humans.
    Also, name a "babe" from the late-90's onward that John didn't sleep with.....This isn't wrong, it's my dream too, but JM doesn't come across as an artist for art's sake. Not at all.
    His lifestyle makes his music look like a trifle. Fact of life.

His voice is so annoying that I don't have time to tolerate it before the tabloids ruin the party, and I have zero faith in him as somebody who's lyrics I can learn from. I don't relate with JM.
    I like a lot of hated bands, so get off your cross if you can't stand people disliking your music. If everyone loved your faves, you would be less special.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  13. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

With respect to all quoted, I think the money worship could be toned down in a discussion about art. His art is fine, his money is irrelevant. He is objectively great(You hear that johnathan31? twice I agreed).
    This doesn't upset me, but the hypocrisy is here:

Yes it is.

14. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

[QUOTE="Gevalt, post: 29202839, member: 10071 This idea that his life is so fab, sometimes outshines his music, even to some of his fans. Such as the guys who claim others are jealous, and ironically, are the most jealous, even if in a positive way.[/QUOTE]
    Wow, that’s some pretzel logic there dude.

Jonathan31 likes this.
  15. Louthunder

Louthunder Member

You apparently are supreme judge of what is good and what is not !! My point is really about the negativity on this forum! You are living proof of THAT!!

16. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Member

Lol...get triggered much? I bet you drive 65 in the left lane on purpose.

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Good singer yes ...
    Even better guitar player

Tuberoast and PierreL like this.