Image-how important in a band?

pedalbored

How important do you think the "image" you project in a band is? In other words, even tho you can play the heck out of your instrument, or sing well you're not taken seriously or considered for a position in the band because of the way you look, dress, or present yourself? Case in point-I'm 56 years old and by what other players tell me, am a really good guitarist. Bad thing is I'm grey headed, wear glasses, and am starting to get that beer gut. Lately, I've been passed over for the lead player's spot in a few of the local bands, and maybe it's because I ain't got the rock star look that everyone wants. Don't you think the same is true in shows like American Idol, and The Voice? talented, yes, but he/she doesn't look marketable. I've noticed that on American Idol when a contestant gets to the finals, the show has changed the contestants looks, hairstyle or their image to make them more marketable. How much work are the aging rock stars having to do to keep up their appearance? I mean a wig or hair extentions can only go so far. I remember reading a quote from an older rock star-"the entertainment game is for the young". What do you think?

loudboy

It's as vital as the music, maybe more so in some genres..

Even bands that don't have an image, have an image.

duckbunny

All of entertainment? Not necessarily. Rock and other popular genres? You bet. Roughly 25% of our brains are involved with the processing of visual data. Roughly 99.99% of an popular entertainment executive's is. :p

Sucks, but the further up the food chain you go, the more one discovers that's the way it is.

-db

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Not crucial, but it's definitely important.

Fortunately, the things you mentioned are things you can fix pretty easily.

madspirit

I think image, and to a greater extent mystique has largely been obliterated by the internet. I may sound pretentious but I kind of preferred the mystery and not every detail exposed days of yore. I realize now that all those great 60's/70's bands were mere mortals (some with crafty, calculated publicists) but that sure was a lot of fun...buying into the myth. Now, bands expose the "we're just normal dudes" thing right off. Which, is more honest but I'm not sure it's as entertaining.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Just being 53 is enough to put you out of contention in many bands, regardless of your look.

G.E. Smith said "It's called 'show business', that means you have to show you mean business."

Polynitro

as philosopher andre aggasi said its everything

keef said he first learned the moves in front of a mirror then he learned how to play

shane8

image is very important as you seem to say in the op

even in local bar bands playing covers you gotta fit the band + it's also possible that you are too good playing wise for the band

anyway playing live is about entertaining people & @ the level your talking about having epic chops may not be a huge +

Shiro

Gold Supporting Member
If all you do is play shows it's pretty important. I can't help but think that when you listen to the radio, pop in a cd, play an album, etc. it means nothing. Quite a conundrum.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Physical appearance is not important if you are a great player with great music who connects with an audience. You cannot go into it with the mindset that you are too ugly or old. That's ******** for show biz entertainers to worry about.

catpeople

As long as you don't dress like you just walked out of your day job as a middle manager in the actuarial department of a small insurance company in Indiana, you're good.

loudboy

Physical appearance is not important if you are a great player with great music who connects with an audience. You cannot go into it with the mindset that you are too ugly or old. That's ******** for show biz entertainers to worry about.
That doesn't have anything to do with image, however.

Tom Waits isn't the most handsome guy on earth, but he's had a carefully groomed persona, since he started.

His drunk-tank, raconteur thing has made him much more appealing to his fans.

If he looked like a middle manager, no one would care.

IMHO, that's part of the reason that so much newer music isn't as compelling - many of the artists are pretty faceless.

It's been a long time since there's been someone as well-defined as Keef, Axl or Cobain. Lady Gaga's got it going, but it's a little over the top, like Bowie.

V-man

Image no longer matters once the artists themselves matter. Before that, Image is second only to musicianship (unless it is pop, and then the reverse applies).

Polynitro

the white stripes were a very image conscious band, to the extent they told everyone they were brother and sister so it would make it more interesting than if they were married

a lot of people still think they are brother and sister, or worse both (brother and sister and married)

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
That doesn't have anything to do with image, however.

Tom Waits isn't the most handsome guy on earth, but he's had a carefully groomed persona, since he started.

His drunk-tank, raconteur thing has made him much more appealing to his fans.

If he looked like a middle manager, no one would care.

IMHO, that's part of the reason that so much newer music isn't as compelling - many of the artists are pretty faceless.

It's been a long time since there's been someone as well-defined as Keef, Axl or Cobain. Lady Gaga's got it going, but it's a little over the top, like Bowie.
Newer music isn't compelling because much of it sucks and has no personality. Has nothing to do with a face. Music existed long before the internet and MTV.

You work with what you've got.

woof*

Of course.
It's always been important. If you are concerned, you can lose weight, get healthier, learn how to dress better etc.
Making yourself more fitting and attractive to the situation will help you a lot...especially if you've got great chops and attitude. All of that is more important than your age...IMO.

Trending Topics