• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Imagine you work at a guitar store and some comes in asking ...

RouseTheBoroughs

Silver Supporting Member
for Humbuckers

Now he's mainly familiar with them as being'' gibson pickups '' doesn't knoq much else, but he sees you have under the counter

Seymour Duncan '59s
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
Dimarzio Tone Zones & Evolution
EMG 81 & 85 Set
Lollar Imperials
Fender Wide Ranger Humbcuker

FROM YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with THESE PICKUPS ( you don't need to mention those you don't know )

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE the tone of THESE PICKUPS ?

I am not asking for a recomendation, just a tone description

thanks a bunch guys

m@2

I have not tried them all to give you a breakdown, but rather than describe them all to a potential customer, I'd probably ask questions about his style/music preference. Is he looking 70's rock tone vs. metal/EMG type etc. Hopefully you could narrow the choices down a bit : )

whitehall

I managed a music store for several years, and if a kid came in with this scenario I would know that he didn't know anything about any of them. And that's a good thing. First I would have to ascertain what he was putting them in. More than likely it's an LP or SG body. So I would eliminate the Fender pup. Depending on whether he liked it heavy or not would determine my next move. I would also ask what he was going to spend. That would probably eliminate the installation of the EMG's.And the Loller. Then it's a toss up. Honestly, if he wanted to know the difference in sound in all of them I would direct him to the various websites for the sound bites. FWIW-- one time a woman dropped her son's mexi strat in for strings and a setup. She reached in her purse and pulled out a piece of paper , then she read it to me.. "He said make it sound like Hendrix".:rotflmao

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW-- one time a woman dropped her son's mexi strat in for strings and a setup. She reached in her purse and pulled out a piece of paper , then she read it to me.. "He said make it sound like Hendrix".:rotflmao
That's classic, and what I've been asking my guitar techs to do for years and they STILL can't get it right. Losers... :D

Yeap, define the style of music and go from there. I can't chime in on all of the above but I can directly compare half of them but if the kids looking to do jazz then getting into a tonal discussion about the distortion qualities of the EMG's probably isn't necessary if you know what I mean.

RvChevron

for Humbuckers

Now he's mainly familiar with them as being'' gibson pickups '' doesn't knoq much else, but he sees you have under the counter

Seymour Duncan '59s Generic, all around purpose

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates ZZ tops

Dimarzio Tone Zones & Evolution Vai and Gilbert

EMG 81 & 85 Set Metallica

Lollar Imperials How much money are you looking to spend?

Fender Wide Ranger Humbcuker You have the Jonny Lang guitar?

FROM YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with THESE PICKUPS ( you don't need to mention those you don't know )

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE the tone of THESE PICKUPS ?

I am not asking for a recomendation, just a tone description

thanks a bunch guys
As above.

Trending Topics