Imagine you're driving on the Autobahn as fast as you can. What songs are playing?

In the days of yore, parts of Nevada had no speed limit. When you're doing 140-150 in a car not really meant to be driven at that kind of speed, you don't listen to music, you listen very carefully to the car and the road. Nothing casual about it.
Your yore isn’t my yore of yore.

Wait, let me turn down the music...

Rockledge

If I am stupid enough to drive like that, chances are am am too preoccupied to pay attention to the radio.

bigtone23

When I was flooring it on the Autobahn (in 2010), I just kept the radio on and quasi-listened to a variety of popular songs of the time. At that speed, the music was pretty secondary to paying attention to the road.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
At that speed, as when I've driven on tracks ... nothing to distract, including music.

fetchmybeer

This is the song from Highway To Hell that makes me drive fast, not the title track.

And as I busted out my old forgotten, unfairly maligned second full-length Toadies album the other day, I was reminded that this one does too.

Now, if I were a passenger in a car with a skilled driver, it would be mood dependent and car dependent... sports car = rock or progressive / fusion music like Deep Purple, Rainbow, Rush, Yes, Brand X, Holdsworth, Bruford, etc. ... luxury sedan = jazz (Metheny, Corea, Miles, Herbie, etc.)
aka
your possible playlist:

highway star
stargazer
freewill
close to the edge
nuclear burn
metal fatigue
fainting in coils

phase dance
jungle waterfall
all blues
chameleon

:dude

Comanche5

Honestly if I was I would hope to be driving a carbureted V12, isn't that music enough?
Winner winner, chicken dinner. Hopefully you're behind the deal of a manual transmission car listening to the engine sing. Who needs lame music about cars?

Rob Taft

Supporting Member
It was 1969 and my Dad owned a 1963 Impala SS with the 327 engine and I was a senior in high school. My car which was a 1959 VW was being worked on my my Dad and myself so he let me take his car to school. I pegged the speedometer driving on the the CT turnpike between Groton and New London while listening to the song below. Still a great car driving song.

Trending Topics