(imho) ONE of these VH tracks has greatness , the other is garbage

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BryanMatthews, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

It doesnt take hyper close listening to figure out which track I labelled great and which I think is garbage.

Track 1 has it all, you can literally see the tongue in cheek and the good time had by all when it was recorded. Track 2 saddens me deeply, I can almost see the "we gotta write sumthin that reminds people of ice cream man guys......" discussion that surely took place on this one.

ice cream man and women and children first, thats how you do it when you an acoustic geetar on your lap. stay frosty should never, ever, ever, evar have made the cut for the record imo and even tattoo is premium quality compared to that POS in my opinion.

2. Antelope

Antelope Member

I think both serve their purpose -- comedic relief/down time -- from the onslaught.

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I'm not to bothered by Stay Frosty. Though nothing innovative at least it has a shuffle groove that VH executes well. Some of the other tracks sound nothing like anything VH would do. I think Chinatown and Trouble with Never are the high points of the record.

4. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

i dont find anything comedic or relieving about stay frosty, i find it depressing that they chose to put it on the album

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Did you listen to the stuff on Itunes Canada yet? Trust me Stay Frosty isn't the worst tune on the record.

6. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

havent done that yet as im afraid to. pm me the one you think is the weakest track and ill give it a listen.

7. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

This is funny...I wish i could hear the whole song just frosty ..before i judge it....:bonk

Lets see....buggy before the horse or horse before the buggy

8. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I don't think it's garbage. I can't wait to hear the whole song. I'm excited to hear the whole record.

9. Rogue

Rogue Member

I'm pretty sure VH knew they wasn't going to make everyone happy...similarly to all records ever in the history of recording.

10. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Stay Frosty sounds pretty damn good in my headphones. I could see this one on the same record as Ice Cream Man. Similar but different tunes.

...and they're off!...

11. SteveO

SteveO Member

Both tracks are great, but on one of them the vocals in the verses sound like they were written for a completely different song, and then crammed in.

12. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Nailed it.

The words are so dense they barely fit. What's worse, they are too dense to sing easily. As evidence, note the terribly obvious punch points littered throughout the vocals. "His words still ragged in my head" <PUNCH> "You can't control your future...", et al.

The biggest WTF moment is the word "compulsory". I'm not sure I could name another rock or blues song with that word in the lyrics.

13. V-Type

V-Type Member

Cant say I hate stay Frosty.
    Sure its a very Ice Cream Man like song but so what.
    Im glad this new stuff feels like old VH.
    Man if TGP was around when VH II and Women and Children First came out I bet some folks would diss some of those tracks just as well.
    Yeah we all get its not 80's VH and with all the guys in their 50's I like that they still resemble what they once were.
    I think we are judging this release a bit too hard. Its not like this was put out right after 84. Hell its been 30 plus years since these guys sat down and tried too rekindle the fire.
    Again IMO and after the minute and a half clips Im more than satisfied with this album.
    Could it have been better. I guess and is debateable but It could be a lot, lot worse.