iMic USB Output cuts out (Garageband)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Stubee, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Stubee

Stubee Member

OK, I posted earlier on "freezing" problems with my iBook G4 (1 GHz, 40GB HD, OS-X 10.3.9, 768 RAM, GB 1.1.1). I've played with settings, turned off everything inc. Airport, I turn off effects, mute tracks (I can't "lock" 'em w. GB 1.1.1), still happens.

After a freeze and closing the "slow disk" or similar pop-up, the track continues w. input but no output. I then reset it w. settings to get it started again, but sometimes still no output, just input (so you can lay a track but not hear it!). When this happens, no output during recording or playback mode. My typical "fix" is to close GB, shut down, boot back up.

I played around & found that if I plug my headphones directly into the iBook headphone jack and switch audio pref. to "built in" vs. "USB", I can hear the output. Going back & forth with settings & plugging the phones into my iMic, I still get no output thru the USB. So I can record or playback using the iMic for input, but the iBook jack for output.

How weird. Any ideas?

2. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

No ideas other than you might need more RAM. With a Mac, when in doubt, go to applications/utilites/disk utilities and "repair permissions."

3. in a little row

in a little row Member

Not to sound stupid...is the switch on the Imic in the proper position for that setup? I have heard of similar imic problems, it was at one time proposed that there is a driver issue with tiger 0X...also, the preferences must be set not only in garageband, but in system prefs. as well...

j

j