Immigrant Song and Kashmir

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevemcm, Dec 22, 2009.

1. stevemcm

stevemcm Member

What do you guys think of those songs? I don't hate them, but they don't do much for me, and most of the time I'd rather hear nothing at all than to listen to them. I dearly love Zep I and II because of their pure, bluesy, hard rock sound, and Immigrant Song and Kashmir are prime examples of what I don't like about later Zep music. But they're so revered, I'd like to know what others like about them. All comments are welcome, but I'm more interested in thoughts specifically on the music and not memories of high school, older siblings, first learning to play, live Zep performances, etc.

BTW, I listen to a lot of jazz, classical, experimental, etc in addition to good, old-fashioned blues, blues rock, and funk, so my tastes are broad.

2. surfshack

surfshack Member

"Immigrant Song" comes closest, with its bulldozer rhythms and Bobby Plant's double-tracked wordless vocal croonings echoing behind the main vocal like some cannibal chorus wailing in the infernal light of a savage fertility rite. What's great about it, though, the Zep's special genius, is that the whole effect is so utterly two-dimensional and unreal. You could play it, as I did, while watching a pagan priestess performing the ritual dance of Ka before the flaming sacrificial altar in Fire Maidens of Outer Space with the TV sound turned off. And believe me, the Zep made my blood throb to those jungle rhythms even more frenziedly.

3. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

Kashmir is my theme song. It plays when I enter a room.

4. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Immigrant Song was written and recorded less than 24 months after the band formed so it doesn't qualify at all as "later Zep".

Both are prime examples of Zep being Zep. "The Power, the Mystery, and the Hammer of the Gods" in full force. Love both songs to death.

5. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Two of my favorites from two of their best albums.

6. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Two of my favourite Zep songs.

7. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

Two of my favorite Zep songs.

(Is there an echo in here?)

8. stevemcm

stevemcm Member

Good stuff, surfshack!

C'mon, guys. I know you love these songs. But why? I'm eager to be enlightened.

9. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Great songs. Actually great works of music more than songs transcending songs.....

10. small axe

small axe Member

i love the songs...makes me think of india....zepplin rules my universe

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

The bass sound on "The Immigrant Song" is sick. Like badass sick.

Love it.

And I don't hear much of a similarity between the two songs in question...

12. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Why does anyone like anything? For me, they're weird, and therefore cool. Nobody else sounds like this, so if you want that weird, cool vibe - you go for the Zep.

13. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

They are both so original. Nothing even came close to sounding like either of them around the time of their release. And they both have a very visual quality to them that mark Zep's best work. The music fits the lyrics so well the songs are almost 3 dimensional.

They are also both very early examples of the genre that would later be termed "world music". Bands like the Beatles and Stones would slap a sitar track on a song to give it a "world" vibe but the songs themselves were pretty standard fare. Both Immigrant and Kashmir are examples of the complete song invoking a mysterious, foreign vibe.

And for me, I don't care what mood I'm in, if Immigrant Song comes on the radio I'm gonna start rocking out major. And if it's Kashmir I'm going to be transported back to 1975, hearing the song for the first few times and being blown away and even a bit confused because it sounded so damn unique and unlike anything else I'd ever heard before.

14. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

Well said, Donnie.

15. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Because they both showed creativity beyond the blues/rock sounds and "I want to **** you" lyrics of their earliest material...which I still love, of course! :D

16. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

There, I fixed it for you. You're welcome!

Love both those songs, Kashmir more so but that's just me. That has got to be the heaviest groove ever recorded. Love the live footage at Knebworth, Bonzo is on fire! The band keeps wanting to surge ahead, but Bonzo's keeping them in the pocket, right on time, steady as a rock.

A-friggin-mazing.

17. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Both are rock at it's finest, for me - cool guitar, pounding rythm, wailing vocals - groove, groove groove.

18. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Quick bit of trivia. After Genesis heard Kashmir they immediately wanted to do a track with a similar heavy plodding rhythm. Squonk off of Trick of the Tail is what resulted.

19. surfshack

surfshack Member

you should hear some of page's solos of "immigrant song" in live versions from '70-'72. he tears it up, while bonham and jones pound out the rythym!

20. hammersig

hammersig Member

Kashmir is just one of those groundbreaking songs. Nothing before it was that popular and that epic at the same time. Its kind of how Hendrix was explained to me. I used to not get Hendrix until a person told me that everthing since Jimi has imitated him to some extent or another. Back when he came out, there was nothing like him. The reason younger players don't understand is because they weren't there to witness it being born. Kashmir kind fits into that same discussion for me.

The Immigrant Song, well you just have to turn that one up really loud to understand what "hammer of the gods" means!