Impact of a Floyd Rose trem in the sound of a strat

jcs

There is a huge difference in the tone of a floating floyd versus one that is touching the body. Guitars with floating floyds sound thinner.
Yea.....install a plain ole Dimarzio Super Distortion and stand back LOL!

Pickups are crucial in most guitars anyway imo...find the one that suits the guitar but i prefer floating trems in general.

jcs

Mine (year 2000 American Deluxe, purchased new) sounds great with the Floyd. I own something like 15 strats, and it’s in my top five. It’s my only Floyd-equipped guitar aside from a Schecter 7 I purchased for a project that dissolved, and though I love the tuning stability the extra hassle changing strings keeps me from buying any more.
I change 1 string at a time on all of my guitars normally....as long as you stick to the same brand and gauge and learn the process, its not a big deal changing in strings on a Floyd imo.

Tri7/5

.as long as you stick to the same brand and gauge and learn the process, its not a big deal changing in strings on a Floyd imo.
Agreed not sure why everyone believes it’s harder. A quality Floyd style trem is the most stable trem setup out there. I think people look at them mechanically and take in far too much internet hearsay and think they are difficult without having even touched one.

Drongo

They've long been known to rob tone, it's a trade-off thing. use a nice heavy body to compensate. Or just use a normal weight or light body, some people love super thin tone, it seems as if it desirable for at least one style genre I can think of. Vai.

pfrischmann

Yea.....install a plain ole Dimarzio Super Distortion and stand back LOL!

Pickups are crucial in most guitars anyway imo...find the one that suits the guitar but i prefer floating trems in general.
I do too. My point is, you may have to swap a few other things like the pickup if you go with a floating bridge.

Chad11491

I really love Floyd’s on strats but recently have started putting Vega Trems in strats. Same range of motion as a full floating Floyd but sounds like a regular strat trem still. It’s about 95% as stable as a locking Floyd with locking tuners and a well cut nut. They’re a bit pricey but i love the way they feel and sound, and you’re not routing out your guitar so if you ever resell it you don’t take a huge hit.

Reactions: Roe

disconnector

It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Gold Supporting Member
Damn, I love your guitar! Funny, I also tried mismatched covers on mine, but yours looks definetly much better!

Thanks for the input, your observations about the tone before and after are interesting. There's a lot of sensitivity when it comes to this topic, many Floyd haters and true strat conservatives ha. What I'm a bit worried about, is loosing the open and sparkly aspect of the tone, because I'd like the singles to remain sounding true to the strat sound, or at least the most possible, even when I also like the HSS hotrodded thing, with hot single coils and stuff. But on this guitar, I like having the "true strat" sound on positions 3, 4 and 5.

More bass is definitely something I wouldn't want to get, dunno why, this strat has much more low end than any other strat I've tried, even with the same fat 50s. Thanls again!
If you want to control the bass and keep the sparkle just replace the brass block with something lighter like zinc or titanium. Brass doesn’t increase the bass - it actually cuts quite a bit in the mods and highs. It does add a little sustain and stability though.

Check this out -
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ific-analysis-now-with-sustain-plots.2157608/

fechart

If you want to control the bass and keep the sparkle just replace the brass block with something lighter like zinc or titanium. Brass doesn’t increase the bass - it actually cuts quite a bit in the mods and highs. It does add a little sustain and stability though.

Check this out -
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ific-analysis-now-with-sustain-plots.2157608/
Hey! That was a great read! Actually my guitar has a steel block. It's the Deluxe 2 Point Synchronized trem. Now I started suspecting that the trem is the reason why the guitar feels boomy amd lacks a bit of mids... So maybe the floyd is actually an improvement! Haha. Thanks bud, and keep up the good work!

Trending Topics