Impedance And Wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bdam123, Apr 21, 2015.

1. bdam123

bdam123 Member

I have two 2x12 that will be coming in soon. They will be used separately for the most part but I want the option of being able to daisy chain them.

My amps all have 16ohm, 8ohm, and 4ohm taps on them.

My original plan was to load each with a pair of 16ohm speakers wired in parallel. This allows me to use the 8ohm tap when using one cab and the 4ohm tap when daisy chaining them. Given I don't have a 2ohm tap, its obvious why I can't use 8ohm speakers in this scenario.

The problem is 16ohm speakers seem to be difficult to find.

Please forgive my ignorance as this is my first time loading my own cabinets.

What are my options here? Series parallel? How do I do that with two cabinets?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You can use 8 ohm speakers and wire them in series. Each cabinet will be 16 ohms. 16 ohm speaker shouldn't be hard to find though.

3. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

16 Ohm speakers are available, do a search.

4. garret

garret Member

This, lots of them out there.

5. bdam123

bdam123 Member

Its not just 16ohm in general but 16ohm versions of speakers that I'm interested in. I was looking for a pair of EVM12L's. They didn't pop up so I started learning more about Eminence Legend EM12's and Delta Pro 12A's. I spoke to an Eminence rep and I'd have to put in a custom order that would cost me about $100 more each speaker to get them in 16ohm.

6. Garthhog

Garthhog Member

What GCDEF said...