Impedance question - Stereo Inputs

bubingaisgod

Hi, I have a Fryette Fatbottom 4x12 Cab, and I would like to pair it with my Mesa Rocket FourForty combo. The combo speakers are 8ohms, and the Fryette is either 16ohm (mono), or 2x8ohm(Stereo.

The Mesa has either dual 8ohm outputs (equaling 4ohms), or a single 8ohm output for the combo cab.

Is there a type of Y adapter I can get (or make), that can combine the two 8 ohm inputs of the Fryette, and retain 8ohms?

From what Im guessing, all the speakers in the cabinet are 16 ohm, and they have two sets of wiring that either connect the whole set in series, or two pairs each in parallel. I would love to be able to use both the combo and 4x12, and would be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Mesa amps can generally handle impedance mismatch's with no problem. I would just try running both the combo speakers and the 4x12 using the 16 ohm input through the 2 8 ohm outputs on your 440.

Btw, the Rocket 440 4x10 combo is one of if not my favorite Boogie! Awesome amp!

logdrum

It is actually alternating current that goes to the speakers. Don't do a Y or stereo cable. It won't be good result. Above is good or you can just run half of the 4X12

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Combo speaker is 8 ohms. Cab is 16 or 4 ohms if you want to run all 4 speakers, or 8 ohms for two. Your choices:
1. Combo and cab at 16 ohms=5.3 ohms. Will sound just fine on the 4 ohm output OR the 8 ohm output with a parallel cable.
2. Combo and cab at 4 ohms=2.6 ohms. Safe at 4 ohms output.
3. Combo amp and 1/2 the cab=4 ohms total, safe using the 4 ohm output and should sound great. Not much difference between 2 and 4 speakers (well, 3 dB, but that's just barely audible and not gonna be audible if the Mesa speaker is more sensitive than the 412 cab).

What are the exact speakers?

bubingaisgod

Ok awesome ill just use the two 8 ohm outputs, yeah its my favorate amp, ive had it since I was in high school. Im currently looking for a quad of EVM 10M or 10Ls for it, or maybe Altec 425, or something similar. If anyone knows a source Ill jump on it lol.

bubingaisgod

Combo speaker is 8 ohms. Cab is 16 or 4 ohms if you want to run all 4 speakers, or 8 ohms for two. Your choices:
1. Combo and cab at 16 ohms=5.3 ohms. Will sound just fine on the 4 ohm output OR the 8 ohm output with a parallel cable.
2. Combo and cab at 4 ohms=2.6 ohms. Safe at 4 ohms output.
3. Combo amp and 1/2 the cab=4 ohms total, safe using the 4 ohm output and should sound great. Not much difference between 2 and 4 speakers (well, 3 dB, but that's just barely audible and not gonna be audible if the Mesa speaker is more sensitive than the 412 cab).

What are the exact speakers?

The combo has 4x10 Jensen alnicos, the cab has 4x12 Eminence P50E.
Im trying to find some EVs to replace the Jensens right now. Just missed a pair of EVM 10Ms on ebay too :/

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The combo is gonna be less efficient than the 412, so it sound will likely be swamped by the 412, whether you're running 2 or 4 speakers in the 412. Substitute EVs for the Jensen's and the calculus probably goes the other way: 410 louder than 412. Then switch out the 412 for Fanes and you'll be pretty balanced!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom