Important Announcement: TGP and ads

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by Brian Scherzer, Nov 22, 2013.

1. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I hate that scam type "marketing".

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Yes please. I've never been a fan of the new logo.

3. darth550

darth550 Member

Another board I'm on only allows those ads into the thread views of non-supporting users.

4. Josh33

Josh33 Member

Have to admit that i am surprised at how quick and seamless these changes have been implemented. I haven't noticed any changes in performance or obtrusive maintenance windows, etc... great work guys!

5. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Thank you so much for not putting ads in the threads. I really hate reading threads with the ads. It makes me feel hollow. like the self checkout at Super WalMart's...

6. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

Some of these ads are preventing funtionality on the site from working properly. I've noticed several of the ads force their way to the front of the page, so that when you hit the search bar for example, a part of it is still obscurred by the ad.

7. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

These ads are majorly slowing down my surfing experience on TGP. Some pages take forever to load with these ads. I do have an "out dated" puter at work, but jeez it's annoying. I like the idea of giving supporting members the option of removing the ads. Haven't read this whole thread, so maybe this is being considered, I hope so.

8. misa

misa Supporting Member

Another vote for removing ads for supporting members. I'm unlikely to ever click an ad anyways, so it isn't like the ad would contribute to the funding of the site and will only serve as a permanent annoyance.

On down times at work I like to browse TGP and having the ad front and center is a negative to what is otherwise a subdued color palette of TGP. Certainly not advertisers' favorite spot, but perhaps consider putting ads at bottom of page. Maybe members will intentionally seek and click on these ads knowing that they help fund the site.

9. bloomz

bloomz Member

If they're out of view they will never get clicked - and that's the whole point of them.

I click on them at least a couple times a day.

10. Tonatic

Tonatic Supporting Member

I'm unfortunately one of those people who can not stand ads in any fashion... anywhere on the internet. My time is very limited, and, having been in the tech industry for over 30 years, I've rarely deliberately click on an ad. I understand their value, but we are constantly trying to recreate the browsing experience with new browsers and apps that block ads, java, activeX, etc... all the while spinning the next big system that's "ad, browser, phishing, spamming, hijacking, tracking, FOM, free". It's really a testament to advertising these days. Find a loop hole and exploit it.

I spend less and less time on the sites I use to frequent, due to embedded advertising. And, now I modify my own DNS/hosts files so I don't have to put up with all of it. The ones that are supposed to show up here just get "black-holed" like most other sites. I understand the justification, but I don't have to like it...

11. arcguitaro

arcguitaro Member

Agree completely, would love for the ability for paying members to turn these off. They take up too much real estate and the chance of me ever clicking on one is zero. I just don't do it. I understand the need to gather extra income, but would love it if you would consider an opt out for paying members. Thanks for the site, I do appreciate it.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

If only there were a free and safe browser plug-in that could be used to block ads. If only.

FWIW, I let the TGP ads through and have noticed no performance change.

13. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

The Best Buy add blows.It expands periodically and covers my screen on PC and phone.

14. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

I block all ads everywhere via AdBlock and OpenDNS. Seeing as how I'm a supporting member, I don't feel bad about not having ads here — and I would never, ever click one anyway. I love TGP, but there are ways to make paying members ad-free through other software.

15. triviani

triviani Supporting Member

Please stop using this specific banner, everytime it shows up -iphone 5-, it automatically opens the app store and goes to their download page. Really intrusive and annoying.

[​IMG]

16. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

Ads have been removed for supporting members. Thanks for your support!

How do I make this message disappear? Why not say "Nothing" for people that paid for ad-removal.
    I paid for adremoval, not a canned message appears in the spot on every post I read on the website!
    It's insane!

17. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Pretty hard to make you happy, isn't it?

bloomz likes this.
  18. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

If you are paying for something to be removed, they shouldn't replace it with something else.

19. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

First world is a biotch, ain't it?:cry::(

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Evidently scrolling that 1/4" is very hard for some folks...

I think it should be replaced with a whole line of dancing bananas.

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana