Importing Audio from a CD?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tfunster, Jun 17, 2006.

1. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

Software- ProTools 8

Does anyone know how to import audio from a CD AND then somehow manipulate EACH individual track once the imported audio is in. For Example, if you are importing a classic rock song but want to make a remix.

Do I need a different program to do this?

Any help would be MUCH abliged. Thanks again.

:confused:

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Most commercial cd files are two-track stereo wave files--you can't break them down into individual tracks without having the original multitrack project file.

3. tfunster

Hey thanks Tim for the quick response--

Then how do DJ's or Kareoke Bars remix an original song?

4. elambo

elambo Member

DJs are provided with what's called mix stems. One mix stem could be all the lead vocals, another stem could be background vocals, another just drums, another just bass. The DJ can pick and choose which parts and which sections he wants to play with. Or a lot of times a remix will only keep the vocals and the rest of the track will be created from scratch. These stems are created as the song's being mixed. There's no way to break apart a mix after it's been mixed into a stereo track (CDs, for instance).

As for Karaoke, those tracks are often created from scratch and have nothing to do with the original production.

There IS a way to remove vocals, assuming that they're not panned to one side (beatles) or drowning in reverb, by removing the very center of the stereo field, leaving only the music.

5. elambo

elambo Member

I don't think so, since 7.2 hasn't even been released yet...

6. tfunster

yeah its 7.0 my mistake...thanks for the advice...

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

On Mac you just drag the track form the CD to your desktop or whatever folder you want and it saves as an AIFF file. ProTools can import it directly.

Most remixers I know work off the original track, they don't have access to the multitrack.