importing Logic files into Pro Tools?

jon71203

hey guys,
okay so i recorded the band with Logic Express 7. I have a good friend in Nashville who is way way way beyond me when it comes to mixing and mastering. i'd love to send him the tracks i have so that he can work his magic. the problem? he uses pro tools only, so i can't just sent the Logic file. is there an easy way to export the tracks as a .wav so that he can open them up on the other end? if anyone can help out with this it would be much appreciated. thanks
jon

tmeury

http://logicfaq.omega-art.com/html/faq24.htm#10

24.10 Pro Tools to Logic, and Logic to Pro Tools

In exporting files to ProTools there is no need to waste disk space bouncing everything from bar 1. Logic is able to import and export time stamp information via SDII regions. This feature makes the task of moving compositions between applications, such as between Logic Audio and Pro Tools, much simpler, because it allows you to easily restore the time position of a region once its imported. This feature will work with any application that can read and write time stamps to SDII regions. The following procedure is for moving files between Logic Audio and Pro Tools.

Logic to Pro Tools

In Logic:

1. In the Audio window, select the audio files that you wish to export. (If you are moving all the files and regions of a song, simply 'Select All')

2. Select Audio Window > File > Export SDII Regions. Logic will time stamp the regions according to their position in the Arrange window. NOTE: If the same region is used multiple times in the song, then Logic will use the position of the first instance of the region. For this reason, you will generally want to make all regions in your song "individual regions" before starting this procedure. Use Logic's Arrange > Functions > Convert Regions to Individual Regions menu option to perform this task.

holyears

I don't know if Logic Express has the capability or not, but I send my recordings from Logic Pro 8 to professional Pro Tools studios by simply exporting the project as an OMF. The OMF project file is opened by Pro Tools with all region, volume, and panning info. I've never had any complaints from the Pro Tools guys about it...

jon71203

i've heard that you can "consolidate" the tracks and send them that way, eliminating the need to bounce each track. any idea on how to "consolidate"?

holyears

When you export as an OMF it is all "consolidated" into one OMF project file. You click on the OMF File and it opens the entire project - the whole song, all the tracks - you should check and see if Express can do it though.

jon71203

wondering how you've exported as an OMF? is it an actual option under FILE?
i can't seem to find where the export option is. any help would be great. thanks holyears........

holyears

"File" --> "Export" --> "Project as OMF File" then you just have to name the OMF project and it then exports. Like I said though, this is in Pro 8. I really hope it works for you in Express 7!!

Trending Topics