Impressed with Soul Food but now ready to move on to a better Klone.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Burstbucker, May 24, 2015.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Hey guys,

I bought an EH Soul Food about a year ago and was pretty impressed by this little cheapy. I recently cranked up my Traynor YBA-1 Tribute BassMaster head with matching 212 cab with Celestion V-30s and with my LesPaul Standard, got a straight ahead, crunchy Classic Rock tone dialed in.

Once that was set, I tried out various pedals I have kicking around to compare which work best in this situation. I tried a Full-Drive 2 MosFET, a PlimSoul, a Catalyst, a Diamond Compressor, a homemade Treble booster with a NOS OC88 transistor in it, etc...a bunch of different pedals.....

But when I plugged in the Soul Food, it probably beat out the others. I like how the SF added just a bit of extra gain and compression, made it sound better and more intense but didn't chance the natural character of my original sound.

I know a lot of people believe the Soul Food to be a pale comparison to a real Klon, so I'm intrigued enough to step up my game and move up the Klone food chain, so to speak.

I'm interested in finding a better built Klone pedal but it has to be affordable too. Which Klone would you recommend?

2. Slateman

Slateman Member

You will probably get a mix of opinions between the Mythical Overdrive, Archer, Arc Effects, and KTR. I personally just scored a BYOC Silver Pony out of the emporium for around 100. Its a 1:1 copy of the original circuit, is small, with top jacks and sounds pretty great with my rig. Les Paul through JCM 800 2204.

3. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I like the Mojopedal Klone. I still use it, sounds fantastic and many here have advised me it's a very good clone (I've never played and original). I have the Soul Food, so I can testify that the Mojopedal is higher quality and a little less bighty than the EH.

4. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

My Rockett Archer sounds identical to my Klon and takes up way less space.

5. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The PCE Aluminum Falcon III sounds like a real Klon, is small and you can find it for $100.

6. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Supporting Member

JHS modded Soul Food is a thing of great beauty.

7. angeloanimar

angeloanimar Member

I just got a Fox Pedal Kingdom overdrive. It's based on the Klon circuit, but it has options for earlier breakup and different hard-clipping options. I don't have a Klon or anything to compare it to, but I can do you for $159 brand new, or around $130 used, it's an overdrive that won't be leaving my board anytime soon.

8. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Rimrock Mythical Overdrive is way better than the Soul Food. I bet you will be pleasently surprised if you give it a try. I have both pedals. Keep SF just as a reference point. Never use it. MO is the best clone I managed to try.

9. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

X2, at least on the AF1.

The only reason people talk smack about the AF is dislike for the builder. The positive aspect of this is that they can be found cheap. I can only really reccommend the AF1 since I haven't tried the AF3, but I used to own the AF2 and can tell you it does NOT sound the same - it's thinner and not as "chimey". I went with the AF2 at first because I wanted the switchable buffer, and thought it was good until I picked up an AF1. It took about 10 seconds in a side-by-side comparison to tell how much better the AF1 sounded. PCE claims the AFIII sounds just like the AF1 (I haven't tried an AFIII, so I can't comment on that), but he also claims the AF2 sounds the same and it most definitely doesn't. If you read old threads you will see the AF1 was agreed by most to be the most accurate klone until the builder earned a bad reputation.

10. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I did the same, the Soul Food is good bang for buck but I really wanted to check the "Higher End". :cool:

Bought an Archer, couldn't be happier... :D
    That reminds me I need to list the SF in the Emporium. ;)

11. playthecray

playthecray Member

Love the Monsterpiece STUD.

deeohgee likes this.
  12. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

One affordable solution is to have your Soul Food modified. Apparently, with the correct germanium clipping, the SF can feel and sound very close to a Centaur.

JHS Meat & 3 Mod
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6v15iS9jmw

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  13. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I'm confused. Do you like your SF or not? If it's not broken don't fix it.

gibs5000 and nkt275 like this.
  14. theroan

theroan Member

The Archer blew my mind.

15. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

After owning many klones, including the soul food, I'd say hold out for a KTR. They're all great, but the KTR is something special.

16. nkt275

nkt275 Member

I´ve owned both an original Klon and a Soul Food. I honestly can´t hear the difference between them. At least not in a band-setting; either live on stage or in the studio. I would keep my Soul Food and use my time and money on something else. The Soul Food nails the sound, to my ears.

17. Salivan

Salivan Member

Thanks again, TGP. Always helping with my GAS. Hahahaha

I was all set to buy a SF now I want to buy an archer.

18. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I have an Archer incoming, I'll let ya know how it goes. I'd like to retire/sell possibly my first run KTR if the Archer works out. I eventually would like to pick-up a Mojopedal K2 or a mini one that was selling around here sometime back....don't recall the name right now but the K2 is incredible. Tried it out once, whether or not it was close to a Klon, it sounded great in it's own right.

19. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Jordane93

I am very impressed with the Soul Food but interested in getting something made a bit better and maybe also get that much closer to the real Klon tone.

Just your typical TGP gas attack to be honest......

20. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Update too , I scored a used Arc Effects Klone v2 pedal online and should receive it in a couple of days.

jordane93 likes this.