Impressed with the Suhr FL's I heard today.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I played a drop top HSS that was picked up at NAMM by a local dealer. It featured the FL's in the neck/middle and SSV in the bridge (I believe).

Those pickups sounded pretty darn good. Sweeter than the Fralins in my Grosh (BS), which were still a little dark/muddy through the same /13 RSA 23c. Also played a Nash with Lollars (??), and that whole setup was pretty lifeless. I assume is was the guitar's fault, not necessarily the pickups.

Of course my Heritage with WCR Darkburst bridge rocked an RV50 head running JJ 6V6's through two Orange 4x12 cabs. That was fun!!

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I just built a new Strat with FL Standards and they are some of the best sounding pickups I own. I have a pair for a HSS setup coming together soon.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Can someone PM me with info on where to buy Suhr pickups. Whose got the best prices??

4. Dave

Dave Member

I replaced the V60LPs in my Suhr Classic with FLs and wow, what a difference! They sound huge. Probably not the best pickups for airy, chimey, vintage tones, but they still sound sweet when playing clean. They're bold and punchy but still have nice sparkle on top. They're great into an overdriven amp and they work really well with OD/distortion pedals. I love 'em.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I was thinking about exchanging my Fralin BS's for VH's. You guys think I'de be doing even better with a set of FL's?

Dave, you got the standard FL's or classics?

6. artandink

artandink Member

Try a Fralin VH in the neck position, leaving the BS in the middle and bridge. Acme Guitars will sell you a single neck pup.

7. Dave

Dave Member

I'm not sure. They're the ones that were first introduced, the classics I think, not the hotter ones.

8. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I have an ash bodied grosh with rosewood fret board. The guitar originally had fralin blues specials. They sounded muddy and schrill to me. So I too am on a quest for better pickups. I also had tried the Vintage hots which are a definate improvement. But, not quite right.

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've got a set of FLs loaded in my Fender EJ Strat, really good tones, the guitar has now become my favorite strat since installing them.

I've got the hot set, they are very dynamic and responsive in nature, and also extremely quiet. To me this is one of the few pickup sets that actually compliment a guitar rather than clash with the initial character of the guitar itself.

I've also installed an onboard midboost made by Demeter, the same one found on Tyler guitars; really nice addition. You can almost get away with a humbucker impersonation with the midboost on full.

Get yourself a set, these are really as great as everyone says.

Check out the clip here, Scott Henderson himself switched out his V60s for FLs too! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRsdADcJXww

10. Dave

Dave Member

Sure they are. But if a person were primarily interested in those tones something like the V54 might be a better choice, that's all. I didn't mean it as a negative comment, just my humble opinion. :)

11. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone made a direct comparison between FL Classics and V54's? I have tried the latter and love them. The Suhr folks say that the FL Classics sound similar but have slightly more midrange. Anyone care to chime in?

12. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Try Acme Guitar for Suhr's

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Yeah, forgot about them. Now gotta decide between the classic and standards....I think the standards would work best for my style and the ash body.

How do you guys like the FL bridge pickup? I'm digging the SP43, but really don't know if it's necessary, we'll see.

Also, I'm gonne be ditching the blender scheme, I just really don't find it as useful. I like the ides a seperate tone controls for the bridge and neck/middle.

14. Dave

Dave Member

Funny you should ask, I put an SP43 in the bridge position myself. I put in the SP43 because I wanted a fatter/hotter sounding bridge pickup, but I didn't want a humbucker, but I say try the FL in the bridge first, it's really great. To my ears it's got more mids than your average Strat pickup, so it works really well with overdrive.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So Dave,

You sticking with the FL or SP43?

You know the bar magnets are ceramic. Pete at Vintage Vibes offers A2, A3, A5 and Ceramice mags with his SP90's. Wonder what the SP43 would sound like with A5's.

16. Dave

Dave Member

I'm sticking with the SP43, but it's just a personal choice. I almost never use the bridge pickup on a Strat for clean sounds, so the SP43 works well for me.
    Hmm, I know nothing about the various types of magnets.

17. Dave

Dave Member

I agree. It's one of the best sounding single coils in the bridge position I've ever tried.

Jamison, you should give the FL a shot, I think it will surprise you. If it's not fat/hot enough for you just swap it out for the SP43.

18. archtop

archtop Member

I have a strat with texas specials in the neck and middle positions. I've never found a bridge single coil that I liked for clean to bluesy stuff... and so I have a SD lil '59 pickup in the bridge at the moment for rock tones.

I'd really prefer to ditch the SD and find a bridge single coil that will sit comfortably beside the other pickups. Is the FL classic the answer?

19. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I get my Suhr pickups at Indoor Storm. I'm considering getting Jim at WRC to wire me a set of single coils SR.

20. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Well....I was about to replace these Fralins with some Dimarzio's, A58/A61/HB2. Not because they're noiseless, but because the clips sound so darn good and they get such rave reviews.

But, after hearing these Fralins that came in my Grosh, and playing some Lollars and the FL's over the weekend. I'm really leaning toward the FL's.

Does comparing FL's to the Dimarzios even make sense? Or do the FL's just blow them out of the water?

It feels so right to know you're so close to getting the tones you're after. And then when your there, it's kinda sad that the pursuit is over. So you buy a new guitar!!!! A tele or semi-hollow body is next.