Impression of the Rat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ides of March, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I was thinking of adding a distortion pedal to my board, I mainly use my amp head for distortion (b52 at100) but I wanted to put a pedal on there for added dirt. I have a Rat II pedal but I am not sure if I should keep this on there or get like a crunch box or a Direct Drive maybe to compliment the OCD. Is the Rat worth keeping on there for good dirt for blues, hard rock/distortion/metal type stuff?

2. kersh13

kersh13 Member

Check out the Nick Greer Batch O' Ass II. Amazing distortion pedal! My friend has the Rat and while it is a good sounding pedal, the Batch O' Ass is amazingly clear while very overdriven. Worth a listen no doubt!

3. mrt

mrt Member

Where can I hear a demo of this "Batch O' Ass" pedal? I just looked.. cant find 1?

4. HHB

HHB Member

I love RATs, try gain on 1/3, filter on 3/4 and volume about 3/4

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

If you are still willing to give Rats a chance, I would look into picking up a Vintage RI Rat and test that out. Rat II's are good pedals but IMO nothing can beat the sweetness of an old Rat. I run my settings close to what HHB mentioned and though I have several dirt boxes that can get real close to the Rat's sound, there's a sense of richness that the Vintage RI Rat has that my other dirt boxes don't. I usually run my amp on the verge of breakup and I use the Rat to push my amp into overdrive. It's also very dynamic so you can play with your volume knob to pull back the gain.

6. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

I prefer RAT RI over Keeley RAT.