Impressions of the Boss DD-200?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hooligangorilla, Nov 16, 2019.

1. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

Any Boss DD-200 users out there who'd like to share your impressions and thoughts on the sound?

I owned a DD-500 before and it was a mind-blowing pedal, but I found I got the best tones out of it when I put the effort in deep diving into the more complex tone-shaping controls. Obviously you can't do that kind of super-deep tweaking with the DD-200... so what's the story on the tones, which I assume have less tweakability? Are the modes that the 200 shares with the 500 sonically identical, minus the ability to deeply edit? Also, if anyone cares to share any impressions from comparisons with Strymon, or Source, or even the DD-500 I'd love to know what you thought.

2. dmutter

dmutter Member

I tried one out at a store. I found it to be intuitive and easy to use. Great form factor. I found the sounds of the delays to be very similar, there wasn't a huge difference in tone between modes. That was a bit disappointing to me. It sounded good, but not diverse like I expect from a multi-mode delay. There wasn't much you could do to shape the tones either.

I find the source audio Nemesis provides a better range of tones and more ability to adjust. I wanted to like the DD200 more, I like boss and love the form factor.

3. rkharper

rkharper Member

Just sold my Nemesis yesterday to get a 2nd Boss DD-200, go figure! I dont want that deep editing posibilities, just give me a good delay.

monty likes this.
  4. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Subscribed, I'm interested in hearing what others think as well. On paper, it looks perfect for me. I don't want to deep dive menus and the Timeline is too expensive. I'm mostly interested in the sound quality.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  5. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I don’t have the DD-200 but was considering it but at the last minute went with the DD-500 with a 20% off coupon from MF.
    I love the 500 and it does so much and sounds so good after you tweak it. Plus all the patches available.
    The 500 has a slight learning curve and then is super easy to program.
    I know you are asking about the 200 but
    I don’t think it will be nearly as satisfying as the 500. I no longer want to check out the 200.
    You're absolutely right about having to do a some programing to make the 500 sound great.
    But then again, it's so easy to program. And it does everything.

Silver Hand likes this.
  6. inheritsfrom

inheritsfrom Member

I have one. Easy to adjust and use. I’m sure Nemesis and Collider are great, and I am tempted. But I think I would really miss having a little display. On DD200 dialing in precise bpm is so dead easy with the display.

dmutter likes this.
  7. monty

monty Member

200 users, is the shimmer better than the 500? I'm willing to "downgrade" if it is.

8. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Can you tell me more? I was set to get the DD-200, but just finished reading a long thread about the nemesis vs dd-500, and I came away with the impression most favor the nemesis’ tones.

re the 200 vs Nemesis, I like the UI of both, and the 200 has the advantage of having a looper, but if the sounds of the nemesis are better, I’d just get a Ditto or something....

Daniel Krawchuk likes this.
  9. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

I got one a few weeks back. I love mine, sounds great. I have owned a dd500 in the past.

For bread and butter delay sounds, it's just about ideal for my purposes. If you want to really tweak, get the 500. If you want streamlined dialing with a handful of presets, 200.

My only nitpicks are attack as guest parameter on many modes, which I regard as nigh useless (maybe it's just me) and midi port being on the side. And I don't like how dual delay is implemented - not that I have a better idea - using ratios. Pretty small potatoes.

Drum mode was a surprise. Really cool and vibey delay sound.

10. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

Only used mine for two days. Just a couple thoughts.

1. I like how the mix goes higher than unity which on the analog setting allows for a louder first repeat a la DMM.

2. From the first point, analog sounds pretty dang close to my DMM XO which is quite surprising. This is with the distortion almost off.

3. Shimmer sounds pretty good.

4. I knew it going in but the lack of a mod speed control kinda ruins this pedal for me. Most of the mods are all faster warbly. I’m not sure if the mods are different for each engine or if it’s a global mod just like the tone control, will have to re-listen.

5. The added distortion options to the analog, tape, drum, and lo-fi engines sounds like garbage to me. They tried to do Strymons Grit sound and failed at it.

So there’s my 2 day thoughts. Will report back.

This is being used next to a Timeline, El Cap, DMMXO and Volante FYI.

I do like the digital setting better than the Timelines digital though

monty and DonaldDemon like this.
  11. dmutter

dmutter Member

I know the Nemesis well. I'm not here to bash the DD200, it sounds good, but the Nemesis sounds better IMO.

RolandKorg likes this.
  12. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Have you ever tried the DD500 and if so was it better for you than the 200?

13. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

I haven’t tried the dd-500 actually. Have you?

14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Only for about 30 minutes in the store. I thought it sounded good but very bright/crisp, but I barely scratched the surface and I'm sure what I heard could be dialed out with some editing. It had some great stock sounds though.

15. rkharper

rkharper Member

they both have their strenghts, what the DD-200 wins for me is:

- you get what you see, no programming through PC or iPhone / Android.
    - a minimal Display, if you NEED numbers (I do)
    - jacks on the front

I don't need a million possibilities, and it got really confusing, when I had different delay engines on the dial, and my OCD has a hard time dealing with that.

I got my first DD-200, as my Dunlop Echoplex went kaput during a gig (on my bassboard) so I looked for something with onboard tap.
    I loved it that much, that I just ordered a 2nd one for my small guitar board.

does it sound better than an Nemesis? seriously, I dont even care, it does what it is supposed to do, and that is good enough for me, I don't hear crickets farting either, so there's that.

Gila_Crisis and RolandKorg like this.
  16. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Thanks.

I think i was (finally) sold on the DD-200 when i watched this last night:

They both seemed quite impressed by it, and then Dan's looper jam was the coop de grass—i can't/don't need to spend another hundy on a Ditto.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  17. rkharper

rkharper Member

Fantastic video, haven't seen that yet!
    Yeah, and I forgot to mention the looper for free, and you can still use the delay on top of it. !!!!

RolandKorg likes this.
  18. inheritsfrom

inheritsfrom Member

Get it because you like the delay, not because it comes with a looper. The looper, in my opinion, is half-baked. You can’t adjust the volume of the playback.

19. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

Can’t you just decrease your guitar volume (or OD/Boost level) when recording the loop? Then increase the guitar volume (or OD/Boost level) when playing over the loop?

20. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

so i got one a few days ago and have been enjoying it a lot.
    sound quality is excellent.

i've been in the market for multi-delay pedal for a long time.
    I tried the Strymon Timeline which i found totally uninspired and anemic.
    I liked the Dig more but it was limiting.
    I also tried the Volante which i found to be their best sounding delay but it obviously only does the tape delay thing though it does it better than anything else i've tried.

i've wanted to try the Echosystem from Empress but couldn't find any in my area.
    i tried the dd-500 and liked it but it's too deep and complicated.
    option anxiety for me.
    the shimmer on it was terrible though i know there's been a firmware update that's fixed it.

anyway.
    once the DD-200 was announced i was very excited as it has almost all the features i want: multihead echoes, dual delays, modulation, pattern delays.

the shimmer on the DD-200 is very inspiring, you can get it to sound very natural and dark, you can add some really cool vintage warble with the modulation knob.
    it's disappointing they didn't include a speed control for the modulation but its actually not as big a deal as i thought.

dual delays are very nice, the tape mode is great too, same with drum.
    pad echo:
    super inspiring if you know how to use it.
    this is something you won't find anywhere else and it's becoming a very useful sound for me.
    i do a lot of ambient stuff and this pedal delivers.
    pattern delay takes some learning though.

flaws?

i don't like the time knob being an endless click knob or whatever it's called.
    it prevents from getting cool pitchy artifacts when changing the delay time.
    i'd prefer a normal time knob.

i'd also prefer to have the effect knob to have more range.
    on my memory man w/hazarai at noon on the effect knob the delay is plenty loud and bold.
    on the dd-200 you need to push it more, at least for my taste.

also- when you power it up it's automatically in trails mode and the tap tempo button is in preset scroll mode.
    pretty annoying.
    has anyone figured out how to fix this?
    perhaps there will be a firmware update.

i still have more exploring to do but these are my findings so far.
    i prefer it over the strymon stuff by far.
    as far as comparisons to the dd-500, it sounds better to my ears as far as sound quality.

i haven't played the Source Audio Nemesis but based on demos i've watched i like this much more.
    it's boss so automatically many on TGP will dismiss it and listen with their eyes and not their ears since it's not boutique and en vogue.

anyway, i hope this thread keeps going and people continue to comment on their findings, tricks, tips, etc.

monty and DonaldDemon like this.