Impressions of the Boss DD-200?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hooligangorilla, Nov 16, 2019.

1. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

That's great to hear and thanks for sharing. I was really tempted to get a Timeline and just missed a great deal on one for $250, so in my frustration I sprung for the DD200 because it too looked like everything I wanted in a delay. I should have it in a few days hopefully. I can't justify spending almost twice as much on the Strymon.

Are you using it in an effects loop or in front of the amp? I briefly played the DD500 and really liked it but am more tempted by the simplicity of the DD200.

2. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

I have had one for a couple weeks. Owned a 500 a couple years ago, still use an RV 500 on my main board.

I'm really happy with mine. I love that you can sync two of them up (I have the MD 200 as well, these replaced Keeley Workstations) with just an eighth inch TRS, but I have instead started using an external tap temp with a splitter sending that to both 200s, without tempo hold. This way I can save speeds - I like glacially slow phase - but also sync a delay and a modulation (at different subdivisions) if I choose. An external tap also allows one to just leave the right switch in memory mode for fast preset selection. Once I'm there I can tap in a different tempo if I like - can take my 100ms slapback and make it into a longer 8th note delay, not bending over. Want 100ms back? Reload the preset. A way to stretch those 4 presets, too.

Sounds are great. The more normal the better, IMO. Terra, pad, shimmer will never get used, whereas Drum is a standout.

Agree with poster who said the lack of mod time adjust may be fatal flaw for some of us - it does seem like oversight. I would trade "attack" (the ability to truncate the start of echoes Boss has as parameter for many models) for mod speed anyday. It seems mod speed is connected to delay rate..? It isn't fixed, but it's not really adjustable either.

It's a pretty sensible entry between DDX and DD500. For me the main attractions are boss sound and build quality, just enough presets, and the sync options I mentioned.

Keeping it! :)

DonaldDemon likes this.
  3. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Yeah the lack of mod speed is perplexing. I wish they would have at least done a concentric knob for speed and depth.

Does anyone know if you can set the warp or twist function to the on/off footswitch? Reading the manual is not very helpful for understanding what this thing can do.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 9:33 AM
  4. monty

monty Member

Thanks for the write-up. Been very curious about the shimmer, my biggest beef with the 500. Have to try the 200 now to see if I`m going to make the switch.

5. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

the shimmer is almost as good as the shimmer on my Neunaber Immerse MKII.
    it's pretty close.
    quite impressive.

monty likes this.
  6. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

i believe you can assign it to the tap switch.
    haven't done it yet though.

DonaldDemon likes this.
  7. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

i'm using it in the front of the amp.
    $250 for a Timeline is a great deal but honestly that pedal did nothing for me.
    the repeats were all a bit wimpy and anemic and hi-fi.
    unfortunately that has started a trend and many manufacturers are copying that sound.
    i like big bold delays, the sounds i grew up with in the 90s haha.

8. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Cool, I'll probably not ever find out because there is no way I'm spending that much on a delay. I don't mind some hifi repeats but not for everything. I mostly favor analog and tape sounds and also grew up with great analog delays. The DMM, AD9, and DD3 were my only delays for years.

9. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

cool.
    you should be more than happy with this then.

DonaldDemon likes this.
  10. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Thanks for the intel. I just got my dd-200 and am waiting for a pedalboard to arrive tomorrow before i will wire everything up. Can't wait.

11. monty

monty Member

Nice, now I am really curious to try one this weekend.

12. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

are there any other users in here?
    i can't figure out how to solve a couple problems:

1. whenever you boot up the pedal, it automatically goes back to it's default setting, i.e. tap tempo is not engaged and it's in preset scroll mode. It also goes back to having trails activated which i never use.
    it's really annoying as every time i turn on the pedal i have to go back and change these things.

2. i can't figure out how to assign the Twist function to the tap tempo switch. i've tried several times.

any help is appreciated.