Impressions of the Boss DD-200?

DonaldDemon

so i got one a few days ago and have been enjoying it a lot.
sound quality is excellent.

i've been in the market for multi-delay pedal for a long time.
I tried the Strymon Timeline which i found totally uninspired and anemic.
I liked the Dig more but it was limiting.
I also tried the Volante which i found to be their best sounding delay but it obviously only does the tape delay thing though it does it better than anything else i've tried.

i've wanted to try the Echosystem from Empress but couldn't find any in my area.
i tried the dd-500 and liked it but it's too deep and complicated.
option anxiety for me.
the shimmer on it was terrible though i know there's been a firmware update that's fixed it.

anyway.
once the DD-200 was announced i was very excited as it has almost all the features i want: multihead echoes, dual delays, modulation, pattern delays.

the shimmer on the DD-200 is very inspiring, you can get it to sound very natural and dark, you can add some really cool vintage warble with the modulation knob.
it's disappointing they didn't include a speed control for the modulation but its actually not as big a deal as i thought.

dual delays are very nice, the tape mode is great too, same with drum.
pad echo:
super inspiring if you know how to use it.
this is something you won't find anywhere else and it's becoming a very useful sound for me.
i do a lot of ambient stuff and this pedal delivers.
pattern delay takes some learning though.

flaws?

i don't like the time knob being an endless click knob or whatever it's called.
it prevents from getting cool pitchy artifacts when changing the delay time.
i'd prefer a normal time knob.

i'd also prefer to have the effect knob to have more range.
on my memory man w/hazarai at noon on the effect knob the delay is plenty loud and bold.
on the dd-200 you need to push it more, at least for my taste.

also- when you power it up it's automatically in trails mode and the tap tempo button is in preset scroll mode.
pretty annoying.
has anyone figured out how to fix this?
perhaps there will be a firmware update.

i still have more exploring to do but these are my findings so far.
i prefer it over the strymon stuff by far.
as far as comparisons to the dd-500, it sounds better to my ears as far as sound quality.

i haven't played the Source Audio Nemesis but based on demos i've watched i like this much more.
it's boss so automatically many on TGP will dismiss it and listen with their eyes and not their ears since it's not boutique and en vogue.

anyway, i hope this thread keeps going and people continue to comment on their findings, tricks, tips, etc.
That's great to hear and thanks for sharing. I was really tempted to get a Timeline and just missed a great deal on one for $250, so in my frustration I sprung for the DD200 because it too looked like everything I wanted in a delay. I should have it in a few days hopefully. I can't justify spending almost twice as much on the Strymon.

Are you using it in an effects loop or in front of the amp? I briefly played the DD500 and really liked it but am more tempted by the simplicity of the DD200.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
I have had one for a couple weeks. Owned a 500 a couple years ago, still use an RV 500 on my main board.

I'm really happy with mine. I love that you can sync two of them up (I have the MD 200 as well, these replaced Keeley Workstations) with just an eighth inch TRS, but I have instead started using an external tap temp with a splitter sending that to both 200s, without tempo hold. This way I can save speeds - I like glacially slow phase - but also sync a delay and a modulation (at different subdivisions) if I choose. An external tap also allows one to just leave the right switch in memory mode for fast preset selection. Once I'm there I can tap in a different tempo if I like - can take my 100ms slapback and make it into a longer 8th note delay, not bending over. Want 100ms back? Reload the preset. A way to stretch those 4 presets, too.

Sounds are great. The more normal the better, IMO. Terra, pad, shimmer will never get used, whereas Drum is a standout.

Agree with poster who said the lack of mod time adjust may be fatal flaw for some of us - it does seem like oversight. I would trade "attack" (the ability to truncate the start of echoes Boss has as parameter for many models) for mod speed anyday. It seems mod speed is connected to delay rate..? It isn't fixed, but it's not really adjustable either.

It's a pretty sensible entry between DDX and DD500. For me the main attractions are boss sound and build quality, just enough presets, and the sync options I mentioned.

Keeping it! :)

DonaldDemon

I have had one for a couple weeks. Owned a 500 a couple years ago, still use an RV 500 on my main board.

I'm really happy with mine. I love that you can sync two of them up (I have the MD 200 as well, these replaced Keeley Workstations) with just an eighth inch TRS, but I have instead started using an external tap temp with a splitter sending that to both 200s, without tempo hold. This way I can save speeds - I like glacially slow phase - but also sync a delay and a modulation (at different subdivisions) if I choose. An external tap also allows one to just leave the right switch in memory mode for fast preset selection. Once I'm there I can tap in a different tempo if I like - can take my 100ms slapback and make it into a longer 8th note delay, not bending over. Want 100ms back? Reload the preset. A way to stretch those 4 presets, too.

Sounds are great. The more normal the better, IMO. Terra, pad, shimmer will never get used, whereas Drum is a standout.

Agree with poster who said the lack of mod time adjust may be fatal flaw for some of us - it does seem like oversight. I would trade "attack" (the ability to truncate the start of echoes Boss has as parameter for many models) for mod speed anyday. It seems mod speed is connected to delay rate..? It isn't fixed, but it's not really adjustable either.

It's a pretty sensible entry between DDX and DD500. For me the main attractions are boss sound and build quality, just enough presets, and the sync options I mentioned.

Keeping it! :)
Yeah the lack of mod speed is perplexing. I wish they would have at least done a concentric knob for speed and depth.

Does anyone know if you can set the warp or twist function to the on/off footswitch? Reading the manual is not very helpful for understanding what this thing can do.

Last edited:

monty

I also tried the Volante which i found to be their best sounding delay but it obviously only does the tape delay thing though it does it better than anything else i've tried.

i've wanted to try the Echosystem from Empress but couldn't find any in my area.
option anxiety for me.
the shimmer on it was terrible though i know there's been a firmware update that's fixed it.

anyway.
once the DD-200 was announced i was very excited as it has almost all the features i want: multihead echoes, dual delays, modulation, pattern delays.

the shimmer on the DD-200 is very inspiring, you can get it to sound very natural and dark, you can add some really cool vintage warble with the modulation knob.
it's disappointing they didn't include a speed control for the modulation but its actually not as big a deal as i thought.

pad echo:
this is something you won't find anywhere else and it's becoming a very useful sound for me.

flaws?

on my memory man w/hazarai at noon on the effect knob the delay is plenty loud and bold.

also- when you power it up it's automatically in trails mode and the tap tempo button is in preset scroll mode.
pretty annoying.

as far as comparisons to the dd-500, it sounds better to my ears as far as sound quality.

i haven't played the Source Audio Nemesis but based on demos i've watched i like this much more.
it's boss so automatically many on TGP will dismiss it and listen with their eyes and not their ears since it's not boutique and en vogue.

anyway, i hope this thread keeps going and people continue to comment on their findings, tricks, tips, etc.
Thanks for the write-up. Been very curious about the shimmer, my biggest beef with the 500. Have to try the 200 now to see if I`m going to make the switch.

Thanks for the write-up. Been very curious about the shimmer, my biggest beef with the 500. Have to try the 200 now to see if I`m going to make the switch.
the shimmer is almost as good as the shimmer on my Neunaber Immerse MKII.
it's pretty close.
quite impressive.

Yeah the lack of mod speed is perplexing. I wish they would have at least done a concentric knob for speed and depth.

Does anyone know if you can set the warp or twist function to the on/off footswitch? Reading the manual is not very helpful for understanding what this thing can do.
i believe you can assign it to the tap switch.
haven't done it yet though.

That's great to hear and thanks for sharing. I was really tempted to get a Timeline and just missed a great deal on one for $250, so in my frustration I sprung for the DD200 because it too looked like everything I wanted in a delay. I should have it in a few days hopefully. I can't justify spending almost twice as much on the Strymon.

Are you using it in an effects loop or in front of the amp? I briefly played the DD500 and really liked it but am more tempted by the simplicity of the DD200.
i'm using it in the front of the amp.
$250 for a Timeline is a great deal but honestly that pedal did nothing for me.
the repeats were all a bit wimpy and anemic and hi-fi.
unfortunately that has started a trend and many manufacturers are copying that sound.
i like big bold delays, the sounds i grew up with in the 90s haha.

DonaldDemon

i'm using it in the front of the amp.
$250 for a Timeline is a great deal but honestly that pedal did nothing for me.
the repeats were all a bit wimpy and anemic and hi-fi.
unfortunately that has started a trend and many manufacturers are copying that sound.
i like big bold delays, the sounds i grew up with in the 90s haha.
Cool, I'll probably not ever find out because there is no way I'm spending that much on a delay. I don't mind some hifi repeats but not for everything. I mostly favor analog and tape sounds and also grew up with great analog delays. The DMM, AD9, and DD3 were my only delays for years.

Cool, I'll probably not ever find out because there is no way I'm spending that much on a delay. I don't mind some hifi repeats but not for everything. I mostly favor analog and tape sounds and also grew up with great analog delays. The DMM, AD9, and DD3 were my only delays for years.
cool.
you should be more than happy with this then.

RolandKorg

Supporting Member

option anxiety for me.

anyway.

pad echo:

flaws?

pretty annoying.

Thanks for the intel. I just got my dd-200 and am waiting for a pedalboard to arrive tomorrow before i will wire everything up. Can't wait.

are there any other users in here?
i can't figure out how to solve a couple problems:

1. whenever you boot up the pedal, it automatically goes back to it's default setting, i.e. tap tempo is not engaged and it's in preset scroll mode. It also goes back to having trails activated which i never use.
it's really annoying as every time i turn on the pedal i have to go back and change these things.

2. i can't figure out how to assign the Twist function to the tap tempo switch. i've tried several times.

any help is appreciated.

DonaldDemon

Finally have had some time with mine today, here are my first impressions after a few hours of tinkering. I've been using it in the efx loop of my Splawn Quick Rod w/ 4x12, running stereo out of the DD200, to a Powerblock for a slave amp, into a Marshall 4x12.

First off, sound quality is always my #1 concern and this thing really sounds great. I'm always a little concerned that Boss delays can be sterile and very hifi, which is not the sound I usually go for. This can definitely do that easily but the tone knob is very intuitive and useful through the entire range. IOW, it's hard to make this thing sound bad. So far my favorites are the analog, tape, and drum, but no shocker as that's usually what I favor in delays anyways.

Secondly, though I would have preferred a speed knob for the modulation, this isn't that big of a deal in use. In fact, the modulation in general sounds great, much better than the stock mod on my DD7, like by a longshot. I do wish I could get closer to the vibrato warble of a DMM on the analog setting (seems to be more of a chorus), the wow/flutter mod on the tape mode is quite beautiful and will suffice.

My biggest gripe so far is that I can't get the *&^%$ expression pedal to work for the feedback but after failing on this front with 3 pedals maybe it's time to buy a new expression pedal because the two EV5's I have are not doing it. Gets all glitchy and doesn't control the parameters as specified, Super ****ing annoyed at this, but I'm not giving up yet. If another, new expression pedal doesn't work this thing os going back because that was the main reason I wanted it.

are there any other users in here?
i can't figure out how to solve a couple problems:

1. whenever you boot up the pedal, it automatically goes back to it's default setting, i.e. tap tempo is not engaged and it's in preset scroll mode. It also goes back to having trails activated which i never use.
it's really annoying as every time i turn on the pedal i have to go back and change these things.

2. i can't figure out how to assign the Twist function to the tap tempo switch. i've tried several times.

any help is appreciated.
As far as I can tell, there is no way to boot up in tap mode unless you don't want the tap tempo switch to ever scroll through memory presets, of which you can set the button to only do tap tempo.

As for #2, again it looks like you have to make a choice of if you want to scroll through memory presets or not have any other functions but I could be wrong. I was able to get the twist and warp function to work but then I couldn't scroll thru presets so I put it back for now.

Finally have had some time with mine today, here are my first impressions after a few hours of tinkering. I've been using it in the efx loop of my Splawn Quick Rod w/ 4x12, running stereo out of the DD200, to a Powerblock for a slave amp, into a Marshall 4x12.

First off, sound quality is always my #1 concern and this thing really sounds great. I'm always a little concerned that Boss delays can be sterile and very hifi, which is not the sound I usually go for. This can definitely do that easily but the tone knob is very intuitive and useful through the entire range. IOW, it's hard to make this thing sound bad. So far my favorites are the analog, tape, and drum, but no shocker as that's usually what I favor in delays anyways.

Secondly, though I would have preferred a speed knob for the modulation, this isn't that big of a deal in use. In fact, the modulation in general sounds great, much better than the stock mod on my DD7, like by a longshot. I do wish I could get closer to the vibrato warble of a DMM on the analog setting (seems to be more of a chorus), the wow/flutter mod on the tape mode is quite beautiful and will suffice.

My biggest gripe so far is that I can't get the *&^%$ expression pedal to work for the feedback but after failing on this front with 3 pedals maybe it's time to buy a new expression pedal because the two EV5's I have are not doing it. Gets all glitchy and doesn't control the parameters as specified, Super ****ing annoyed at this, but I'm not giving up yet. If another, new expression pedal doesn't work this thing os going back because that was the main reason I wanted it.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to boot up in tap mode unless you don't want the tap tempo switch to ever scroll through memory presets, of which you can set the button to only do tap tempo.

As for #2, again it looks like you have to make a choice of if you want to scroll through memory presets or not have any other functions but I could be wrong. I was able to get the twist and warp function to work but then I couldn't scroll thru presets so I put it back for now.
We'll i somehow figured out how to boot up the pedal in tap tempo mode so that's good.
don't ask me how i did it, haha I'm not sure.

i also got it to do the twist and warp function on the second footswitch.
however- you can't have it do tap tempo too as far as i know.
it's either one or the other.
fine for me really, i'll leave it on tap tempo, the twist and warp functions don't do anything for me, don't care for the sound.
my EV-5 controls the feedback fine though when i tested that function out.

DonaldDemon

After spending more time with mine and playing it with a few bands, I have a better impression of it. First off, there are definitely a few things I'm finding annoying and/or disappointing.

I agree with the poster who said that all the delays have a similar sound. For a multi delay, there isn't much variation in the character of the repeats like I have found in other multi delays. That could be good or bad but I find it slightly disappointing.

My biggest gripe so far is that I'm having trouble getting repeats with any body to them. Rolling back the tone just makes it darker. It sounds like all the repeats have an extreme HPF and everything below 200hz is rolled off. I'd like the option for more low mids and fullness to the repeats but I haven't found it. This seems to be aimed towards thinner, clearer repeats.

I don't like that it starts in preset mode and I'm bummed you can't have tap tempo and warp/twist at the same time. I did but a new EV30 exp pedal and am able to get the feedback to respond, seems to work ok.

I'm starting to think I should have just got the DD500 but I'd have to look and see what of these issues are solved with it.

Despite my gripes, I still do find I like the sound of it overall and it's nice being so simple to set up. I'll have to decide soon if it's a keeper.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
You can have tap and twist etc at same time with an external switch. I think it's worth it just to move tap to an external switch and not ever have to leave preset mode.

DonaldDemon

You can have tap and twist etc at same time with an external switch. I think it's worth it just to move tap to an external switch and not ever have to leave preset mode.
Yes, unless you want to use an expression pedal for any function, then you sacrifice the tap output, which is another thing that leads me to thinking I should have went with the DD500.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, unless you want to use an expression pedal for any function, then you sacrifice the tap output, which is another thing that leads me to thinking I should have went with the DD500.
Indeed, if you mentioned the exp I obvs overlooked it. But you still only have ctl 1 and 2, or exp. Only one extra switch on the 500. :/ But i suppose that's all yr down, too.

Unless you're after the extra presets or parameters - nothing to sneeze at - I wonder if you might do just as well with a midi controller in terms of switch assignment, function.

When I think of a boss delay with max flexibility in switch assignment, I think of the MS-3, actually.

Trending Topics