Impressions on Mesa Caliber .50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Millo 3.1, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

[Crap, wanted to edit the title to say "Your impressions"... sorry. Yup, this is more of a question.]

Anyone has any experience w/ a Mesa Caliber 1x12 combo? I'm thinking of getting a combo... would it be a nice deal for $550 used?

What other combos would you recommend? I nead pristine cleans, nice smooth, yet clear OD, and POSSIBLY an FX loop would b a good thing. Possibly a channel-switcher.

This is all consideration, no specific NEED. Budget limit around $700

Spider Valve?
    Rivera Chubster or R combos?
    Koch Twintone?
    VHT Pitbull 45?
    Masters TVA 30?
    Zinky Blue Velvet?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Clean is sterile, cranked clean sounds OK to me. OD is raucous and over the top. The channels are poorly balanced.

My Son loved it for punk/alt stuff he does. I didn't like it at all.

I paid $250 for mine with no speaker (blown speaker, actually) about 3 years ago.

Consider a used Mesa F-50. IMHO, it's the forward evolution of the 50 cal

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Compared to most amps built today, the Caliber stuff is weak and sterile...no soul...as for good used amps, the VHT pitbull is a great choice///I like my Line 6 Flextone 3 better than the spider valve amps...Koch twintone is a fine amp as well

4. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

Used a .22 Caliber for gigging for a few months and hated it. All the previous posters' comments apply.

5. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I had one I paid 400 for it..I replaced the speaker in it and gigged it for a year...not bad..got lots of comments on how good it sounded etc .,..longs story short for 400 it a decent amp and its pretty tweakable

6. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Is this the .50 caliber (EL84s) or the .50 caliber + (6L6s)?

7. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Like my other Mesa - usually sounds lousy and occasionally blows you away.

8. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I have the 50 caliber head (2 of them actually) and this was my main workhorse amp from 88 to 94. Killer od, useable cleans. Can't begin to tell you how many soundmen kissed my a** when they heard that thing....

9. roodog

roodog Member

i have one. 6L6 model, to my ears cleans are very nice, the OD - just OK, but if you crank it its better.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

With this much hate this amp is probably right up my alley. lol! Bob

11. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

My cousin has the combo version and it sounds like a totally different amp than my head does. When you push it (the combo) through a 4x12, omg!

12. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Not sure. Hmm... sounds like I won't like it. Not usually a Mesa fan. I'll bargain and if the bargaining doesn't work, won't consider it anymore.

BTW, it might be the Cal .50, I'll check the e-mail again.

Thanks guys:AOK

13. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

What about the Zinky Blue Velvet?

14. edward

edward Supporting Member

Not a lot of Mesa love on this board, so that's no surprise.

That said, given what you outlined, a .50cal is not the best choice. For 7 bills, a Mesa DC5 is a much better combo (IMHO) in that it far and away a better channel switcher (two separate gains, tone stacks, and output levels), delivers great chimey cleans, and has smooth/defined OD. IMHO, gorgeous tone overall, very versatile, and my #1 live-play amp.

If you could score a MKIII for that price, that is superb as well. The MKIII is voiced slightly differently, but its cleans are bigger and more potent, has more clean headroom should you need it, and the OD is addictive (get a SimulClass with GEQ).

Edward

15. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Edward, thanks for the suggestions... I'm fairly open-minded, so I haven't ruled out ALL Mesas, in fact not this one entirely. I might get to at least try it.

16. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Any specific opinions on the VHT Pitbull 45? How much do these usually go for?

17. randall g

randall g Member

I concur - if you can get a Mark III for 5 bills, (with the graphic and simul class) do it - stripe color does not matter.

I picked one and a 1-12" cab for $625 and it's an amp with a ton of great sounds. It's a tweaker for sure, so keep that in mind - that's why so many give up on Boogies.

18. Slideman

Slideman Member

I've had this amp for 18 years and have always had a love/hate relationship with it -- it's been sitting as a backup to my TopHat and HRD...mostly because of the style of music I now play (roots/blues/rock).

However, if fat chuncky rythms and over the top OD are your thing -- the OD channel is just the ticket for that. The cleans are just OK but there is definitely a volume inbalance when switching between the two that can get quite annoying.

The key to this amp sounding really good is opening it up (cranking the master and backing off the input gain) to getter some good tones...it sounds excellent loud and in the context of a gigging band where the mids need to stand out...by itself in your basement/bedroom you will be disappointed. So, there is the love/hate.

19. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

I had one about ten years ago and couldn't get along with it. I now have one from the dual caliber family and I like it a lot, better than the F-50 I used to own.

20. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

cool.... I'm not looking to tweak too much for this combo... want a grab and go for rehearsal to avoid having to haul a 2x12 cab and head. I'm still a bit of a tweaker so however few knobs something might have rest assured I'll try pretty much all combinations of settings. :D I only have one "real" electric gtr amp (and two SS practice amps I keep for teaching) and will start gigging w/ the electric more (I'm primarily an acoustic player) so I might need a backup, and figured anyway a 30-50 watt combo would be loud enough for clubs--I'm not a metal player. However the 30-watter would have to have nice clean headroom, I guess, since there'll be lots of funky clean playing w/ single-coil sounds, some clean arpeggiation/solos on neck humbucker as well. Obviously I can help by backing off on gtr volume, etc. Plus some soundmen might be willing to mic the amp, what a thought! Just kidding.