Impressive jazz educator and composer, Dave Baker, passed

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
David Baker passed this weekend. I used to attend jazz clinics with Dave and worked with his material for years. Remarkable guy, talented cellist, recognized trombonist, composer, educator and administtator at the IU music school. Made the first attempt to organize improvization around common playing vernacular and his book Jazz Improvization, was both significant and shaped many young players (for better or worse...not really good for swinging and could make a lazy student view jazz as a series of rules that create stilted performances, much like reducing rock to a set of linked riffs). Still and all, his methods and books are very effective, he was a masterful communicator, and genuinely enthusiastic about jazz. He had a good run and I am grateful for his efforts.

Sail on, Mr. B.

Last edited:

Average Joe

I have his 3 How To Play Bebop books. Lot of great material organized in a logical fashion. His examples/riffs are also very musical. They aren't stand alone books in the sense that you need to apply the material to actual tunes to get the most of them, but they are outstanding resources.

Didn't Baker also do the volumes "the Jazz Style Of...."? I have the Rollins book, and the analysis provided are very very helpful.

Can you teach anyone to swing from a written page?

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing

Sure did! He was a very methodical and organized gent with a genuine love of jazz and of jazz musicians. His students really dug him...lots of love was in that man. I'm grateful for the limited time I had with him and have owned and worked with several of his books.

Frank Prince

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I found his Jazz Improvisation book when I was digging deep into the college library for music stuff. Seemed like a deep cat with a lot of knowledge. RIP.

Smashies

Sorry to sound like a plebe on this, but is this the Dave Baker from all the Dr. Z demos?

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
David Baker lived here in Monterey for awhile & taught music at our local College...
He started some of first Jazz programs (curriculums, prototypes or whatever one would call 'em) for schools.
He was followed by Dan Hearle & Baker's books were suggested as good study material (though Dan wrote plenty himself).

Dave books are still very useful & good 'reads' too.... Well written clear stuff ...

newb3fan

Silver Supporting Member
His Jazz Improvisation book is to my left on the desk right now as I type this. Either my guitar teacher in high school or my saxophone teacher post college taught me from this book. That was ~30 years ago. Wow sorry to hear that he has passed.

Trending Topics