improvement in singing and voice quality

HI, as you know singing is like a language, a body language.

what can you do if you don’t have a good voice but want to sing?
How can you improve your singing voice?
What are the best singing tips out there?
What should you focus on when you practice singing?

sonhenry

Find a teacher who understands your goals. Study. Practice. Study more. Practice more.

You'll get lots of shortcuts, but the people I know that are really good singers take their instrument seriously and they work at it. Somehow they never learn to move gear, but that's an entirely different thread :)

mikebat

Be in the pocket. That means physically move to the beat.

Pitch, practice with less instruments. Just the drums and the guitar playing chords, or piano/keys

Memorize the lyrics, reading off a sheet makes wooden performances.

Stop feeling self conscious about the sounds you are making. Watch Chris Lieppe's Youtube channel about singing, sometimes you need to experiment with where you are generating your voice from. Doing it sounds ridiculous, but you need tp get past that and just try stuff.

CDP

I've been working on my background vocals a lot during the Covid down time. I pick my harmony line for each of the elected songs with the help of my lead vocalist. I practice on my own and then once a week outside on her patio, 25 feet apart with fans blowing. I also stand when singing, and try to project my voice out. Singing softly doesn't work for me, I need to push a little bit to get my best voice.

By the time we're gigging again (who knows when) I'll be confident enough to sing background vox in the full band and acoustic duo project. I also have an app on my phone that I sing into - it helps to hear what I sound like, although sometimes it's not good. But I'm working hard at it.

I hope this helps, and i hope it goes well for you.

fetchmybeer

Gold Supporting Member
I've been working on my background vocals a lot during the Covid down time. I pick my harmony line for each of the elected songs with the help of my lead vocalist. I practice on my own and then once a week outside on her patio, 25 feet apart with fans blowing. I also stand when singing, and try to project my voice out. Singing softly doesn't work for me, I need to push a little bit to get my best voice
To the OP-

I emphasized that bolded part. If you are not used to singing, you need to come to grips with the fact that you can't be shy about it. You have to SING, which means being loud and projecting. You may be surprised at your range when you do that if you haven't done it much before. You can't be self conscious about your tone or how nasal you may sound. Work on that later and just find your range, then find tricks to lock into the difficult notes-- like breath control, even scooping if you have to (though my choir teacher wife would smack me for encouraging scooping). You will find over time that certain notes vibrate your throat in a certain way and you develop muscle memory. It'll make you a more confident singer if you suddenly can't hear yourself well live. Once you are at that point, work the finer points and edges.

Work on that now and do some karaoke when all this Covid crap is past us to get used to performance singing.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Note: I am not a real singer, but I do some backup in bands and sing my own songs.

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
Singing is easy.

Learning how to breathe and use your diaphragm to project is hard.

You need to learn how to control the instrument to sing correctly, its harder than you think.

IAE

I agree with what has been said. When practicing Volume is necessary and it’s no time to be self conscious.

These may help.

The New Voice: How To Sing and Speak Properly: Voice Technique - Alan Greene
(Endorsed by Walter Matthau amongst others)

Set Your Voice Free: How to Get the Singing or Speaking Voice Your Want - Rodger Love
(Endorsed by John Mayer, amongst others)
My copy came with a CD although that could be a download by now.

To the OP-

I emphasized that bolded part. If you are not used to singing, you need to come to grips with the fact that you can't be shy about it. You have to SING, which means being loud and projecting. You may be surprised at your range when you do that if you haven't done it much before. You can't be self conscious about your tone or how nasal you may sound. Work on that later and just find your range, then find tricks to lock into the difficult notes-- like breath control, even scooping if you have to (though my choir teacher wife would smack me for encouraging scooping). You will find over time that certain notes vibrate your throat in a certain way and you develop muscle memory. It'll make you a more confident singer if you suddenly can't hear yourself well live. Once you are at that point, work the finer points and edges.

Work on that now and do some karaoke when all this Covid crap is past us to get used to performance singing.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Note: I am not a real singer, but I do some backup in bands and sing my own songs.
Scooping’?

kiki_90291

Take lessons - practicing on your own will help a lot with hitting the right notes and holding pitch, but you need someone to teach you how to breath and control the muscles that help you sing and very little of that is intuitive. I took singing lessons for about six months a few years ago and the improvement was dramatic.

Sadly, I quit doing my exercises, though and my singing is in pretty bad shape right now. I've been recording some of my originals in the Covid downtime and Melodyne is getting a serious workout :)

roverdog

Best advice that I have read here is to take lessons. The teacher/coach will teach you all about breathing, tongue position, head alignment, etc. And proper warmup exercises!
Have Fun!

twoheadedboy

HI, as you know singing is like a language, a body language.

what can you do if you don’t have a good voice but want to sing?
How can you improve your singing voice?
What are the best singing tips out there?
What should you focus on when you practice singing?
Take some voice lessons. A lot of it is about breathing and managing the muscles of the throat and neck.

dahctor

Practice notes. Play a note on the guitar and find that same note with your voice. Change notes and try to match that note. Use a tuner to see if you can hold a note. These types of things helped me.

Bunther

Silver Supporting Member
Take some voice lessons. A lot of it is about breathing and managing the muscles of the throat and neck.
yep. Breathing, diaphragm, throat. Bark like a dog and feel how low in your gut the bark comes from. When you breathe,fill up that area. When you exhale keep those muscles firm to control (regulate) the air flow. Open your throat. The more difficult notes to hit will require more air regulation.

Bingo!
When I was having severe shoulders and neck/back pain, my singing was really strained and certain muscles in my neck and jaw would tense up and causing all sorts of pitch and singing problems.

Trending Topics