Improving outdoor visibility on your Helix or other modeler - anti-glare films, etc.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Guitardave, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I honestly don't think it'll be any better or worse with anything else mostly due to how I use my Helix. Most gigs I am using one patch, with one amp model (not assigned to a footswitch) and two drive pedal models, along with delay and some sort of mod effect. I know where those footswitches are and I use it just like a traditional pedalboard. In that sense the Helix is no different than my analog board where I just can hear the effect as to whether it's engaged or not.

The things I really need to see the screen are more the tuner and when I want to edit a drive pedal gain level, or tweak the tone stack on the amp model. If you look at the pics I can see all that clearly. It's just the bottom row of footswitches where it's too bright to tell easily if the effect is on. Again, not a big issue in the real world.

I know people tend to over-rationalize things at times but for me it's about finding something that makes sense to my actual usage. If I constantly did pedalboard tap dancing and changing patches where the effects were in different places it would be a nightmare.

But I always approach my rig like it's a work in progress and just keep trying to learn from my gig experiences. I was pleasantly surprised to see just how well using the pedalboard lid works. That, along with some matte/anti-glare stuff for the bottom row of the scribble strips will probably knock out most of the challenges I can foresee.