improving reverb on Vox AC30cc2

re-animator

love the amp, HATE the reverb on it. I've been using a timefactor to cover reverb for me, but it bugs me to not be able to have reverb and delay on at the same time.

I don't feel like having another dedicated reverb pedal since I'm looking at picking up a deluxe reverb as well and it would be silly to have a reverb pedal with a blackface fender :bow Also pedalboard space is kind of at a premium right now, so I'd prefer just getting useable reverb out of my amp.

I like the warmth and tone-shaping of the reverb, but I feel its just not controllable. Reverb is either inaudible, or dripping wet. Even when its wet, I feel like the mix is really low. Not like a good fender. I feel almost like I wish it had 3 knobs (tone, depth, and mix).

So what's the deal? can i put in a new reverb tank in there? how much do they cost? other solutions?

John in Maine

I'm interested in this questions as well...
I'm going to be using an AC15 and the
onboard reverb
seems to be either too much or too little...
I'm seriously leaning towards a Van Amps Sole-Mate...

I play quietly and like a gentle reverb to establish
some space...

any ideas?

Change the tube that controls the reverb recapture. I don't know what tube it is in your amp, but I swapped my V4 out for a 12AT7 vs. 12AX7. Made the reverb 100% controllable. If you look at your circuit you may be able to get over on a 12DW7 tube which has one gain factor 20 triode and one gain factor 100 triode, basically 12AU7 on one side, 12AX7 on the other. If you find out you can use a 12DW7 I have **** ton of old RCA ones and I'll sell you one on the cheap.

re-animator

Change the tube that controls the reverb recapture. I don't know what tube it is in your amp, but I swapped my V4 out for a 12AT7 vs. 12AX7. Made the reverb 100% controllable. If you look at your circuit you may be able to get over on a 12DW7 tube which has one gain factor 20 triode and one gain factor 100 triode, basically 12AU7 on one side, 12AX7 on the other. If you find out you can use a 12DW7 I have **** ton of old RCA ones and I'll sell you one on the cheap.
So what kind of tube should I be looking at to raise the mix but not lengthen the trails of the reverb? a higher gain tube or lower gain.

also I'll look into the accutronics tank.

stratocaster

The the AC30 custom classic doesn't use a valve in the reverb circuit, some folks feel that the reverb responds better when you control the amp vol via the channel vols and leave the master cranked, i haven't tried this so i can't say for sure, there are a couple of mods available for the reverb circuit, a search over at the plexi-palace should shed more light on these.

The the AC30 custom classic doesn't use a valve in the reverb circuit, some folks feel that the reverb responds better when you control the amp vol via the channel vols and leave the master cranked, i haven't tried this so i can't say for sure, there are a couple of mods available for the reverb circuit, a search over at the plexi-palace should shed more light on these.
Don't you hate when they do stuff like that?

re-animator

i already do this :horse

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
My AC30cc is in pieces right now (chassis being modded). Can I just not use/reinstall the reverb tank at all? Will this cause any issues? I rarely play with reverb, especially not this reverb. If I do I would use the loop with a pedal or something.

radcliff

My AC15 has a slighty high pitch sound when the reverb is on, and it is either too much or too little.

Is V2 the tube to change on the AC15 as well?

Thanks

trevorus

A different tank would probably be the best option for changing the character of the reverb. On my old Fender Deville, I modded to reverd to take out the treble bypass that made the reverb too wet and "sproingy." I'll have to look at the schematic again and compare it to the Vox (I own the same amp), and see if they did something similar. The other issue may be the taper of the potentiometers. Might check that as well.

BTW, I love the reverb. It works great for me.

Trending Topics