Improving tone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pookie, Dec 16, 2009.

1. pookie

pookie Member

Hope you guys can help!

I have an Epi 56 goldtop and have found that anything past halfway on the volume knob sounds extremely muddy. Is this typical for p-90's or does it have something to do with the guitar?

I was thinking that maybe replacing the nut, bridge, and tailpiece might brighten up the tone.:dunno

2. alguit

alguit Supporting Member

Hey there, welcome to the Gear Page!

I have to ask-are you playing this into an overdriven amp? Into a clean amp with a lot of headroom, turning up the volume on a P-90 guitar shouldn't produce muddiness-when played clean, P-90's can be bright (think Gilmour's "Another Brick in the Wall" solo, played on a Les Paul with 90's). Into an overdriven amp, P-90's will eventually darken and produce a nice "snarl."

They're big, fat single coils that pick up a wider string area than, say, a Strat's pickups. Therefore, they're inherently "broader sounding," and that is a factor.

I don't think the changes you're thinking of making should be necessary. First try lowering the pickups height. Maybe the volume and tone pots and wiring might be upgraded.

Again, welcome, and all the best!

-Alan

3. pookie

pookie Member

Thanks!

Yes, I'm playing it through an overdriven amp. I mean I like the tone but anything past five on the guitar volume is useless. Even through a clean setting, the sound is mud.

I'll try messing with the pickup height though. How would I choose volume and tone pots and how would wiring benefit? Anything you could recommend?

Thanks again!