Improvisational Nonsense?!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ucnick, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:58 AM.

1. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

Depending on what most of the bands resemble in a particular area, I get the dress code thing. I'm still trying to form a new band and one thing I will insist on is that we don't look like we were thrown out of a crack den for violating their dress code ( ;) ). (I also don't want any more of those ****** hats or sunglasses on stage, and I have no use for any further things like ersatz Blues Brothers suits, the biker look, glitter suits, or any crap like that, either. I don't think it's any crime for a band to look human on a bandstand, though I'm not going to go much further than picking your own decent looking shirts and dress slacks and shoes.)

But they lost me with "improvisational nonsense." I get that they're not planning to be an improv band, but I never have and never will call improvisation nonsense.

2. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

I hope somebody turns that ad into a Venn diagram.

Badtone, MaxTwang and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  3. Horizontalmode

Horizontalmode Member

Gwar doing Chopin
    Mixed with....

sahhas likes this.
  4. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

awrite which one of you wrote that ad?

sahhas and deeohgee like this.
  5. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Sounds like they want someone to play structured guitar parts over their weird version of techno ..... and dress in a suit.

I’m guessing these are younger millennial trying to do something weird with computers but I could be wrong.

Not my gig tho mainly because I am basically the improvastional nonsense they seem to attest so.

sahhas likes this.
  6. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

Except when Becker and Fagen put an ad in the Village Voice looking for a guitarist, all they said was, "Must have jazz chops". They got Denny Dias...

Jon C, sahhas and ChampReverb like this.
  7. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

If an add on CL looking for musicians equals a band than I have a band too.

In all fairness. No one joined mine yet. Will probably make a new add soon because mine may have been a bit intimidating. Asking for folks to know this and that: be excellent at improv, know theory etc... I need a different strategy.... they probably will realize that too.

For what it’s worth I do wish them luck.

And I didn’t list a paid grade either cuz honestly there ain’t no pay until we get gigs .... when we do then we all reap the rewards. (In my case anyway,they may be looking for more of a studio thing I can’t tell)

I’ll find the people eventually or die trying, the real artists anyway that will believe in the music, if the music these guys are creating has any worth to anyone and they believe in it they will eventually find their perfect guitarist.

8. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Right...like none of these guys ever bothered with "improvisational nonsense". :p

9. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

The only bay area band that could pull off that ad were the Residents.

Maybe they're looking for the next Hardy Fox?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    Porfirio, Horizontalmode and sahhas like this.
  10. Doode

Doode Member

You do realize that "improvisational nonsense" doesn't mean "improvisation is nonsense", do you?

jerrycampbell, Lution and sahhas like this.
  11. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

no i actually do think they were implying improvisation is nonsense. They certainly didn't put in any other clarification, and that is a well thought out and composed ad. Gives the impression of a bunch of jack@$$&$.

They could have said it was for composed parts or just that they don't improvise. Calling it nonsense goes too far and gives another impression.

Trevordog likes this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

They say the way to Hell goes through improvisation, better plan your way carefully or you may stray from the true divine and rightful path.

Trevordog and Broken Diode like this.
  13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Mom and dad's?

14. Growlycake

Growlycake Member

15. mikebat

mikebat Member

The easy part was what riled people up, the rest is what they can use as cannon fodder to sting them back.

sahhas likes this.
  16. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

Being very specific about what you are looking for rarely helps. Many guys will see only 'guitarist wanted' and apply for the job. I was looking for a singer recently and the only two things I stressed as essential were to have transport and a P.A. Guess how many people contacted me who had neither ?

sahhas likes this.
  17. sahhas

sahhas Member

This is why DLR got the job singing w/ VH back in the 70s!!!!

18. stimpson

stimpson Member

i can see where they are coming from, way too many jammy guitar players up here in the northeast. i have little patience for "free form" and "improv". feel free to noodle at home on your own time or start your own band