• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Impulse buy..Hermida Nu-Valve

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Nothing like a completely irresponsible late night, having heard a couple of clips, way too many overdrives already, under the influence, impulse credit card purchase. I can't look at this forum any more....

but...while I am here.....this is interesting....

I have been checking out all of these Fetto threads lately that just heap massive praise on the Nord and other Fetto's. I made a comment in one of the threads saying that although it is risky to pass judgement based on audio and video clips, that I just wasn't hearing absolutely anything that came even close to inspiring me. I don't doubt the Fetto's are very good and I trust the taste of many of it's huge supporters......so.....having said this.....I come across a video of the Hermida Nu-Valve. I've never given it so much as a second look and I to be honest I'm not 100% sold on the Zendrive with my setup.

The Nu-Valve clips really resonated with my ears instantly far beyond any reaction to the Fetto's. So, in a slightly intoxicated state, I whip out the credit card and press..."buy".....SICKENING. :bonk

Are there any fresh perspectives / experiences with Nu Valve by any of you? I almost feel like cancelling the order. Thanks Chuck....I blame you directly....I probably really wanted to order your talent and settled for a frickin' pedal.

Has the Hermida NuValve blown any of you away?

Rant over, thank you!!

http://hermidaaudio.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Chuck-DAloia-Nu-Valve-Clip.mp3

http://chuckdaloiamusic.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/nuvalvetele.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTVNa958lUk

These 3 clips really sounded great to my ears.

dank

Consummate Beatles Fan
Gold Supporting Member
My gear purchaes are often at night and increase with my Scotch intake. I wonder why...

I just did it two nights ago with the Alpha Drive.

slopeshoulder

I love the nu-valve. I sold it recently to finance a kingsley minstrel, but it's a great pedal and I may get another someday. Enjoy it!

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I love the nu-valve. I sold it recently to finance a kingsley minstrel, but it's a great pedal and I may get another someday. Enjoy it!
Well I absolutely love my Kingsley Jester (hence no need for additional OD's) so perhaps we are on to something.....or not....:beer

DraggAmps

Does sound good in those clips. There's a certain style of setting up the pedal and amp with those clips that must be to your liking and of course, none of the Fetto clips are like those. The Fetto clips are mostly just like mine are: player with shorter scale, Les Paul type, mahogany humbucker guitars, into warmer amps at high gain levels. Kind of the Les Paul into a cranked Marshall tone. There haven't been any/many with that single coil, lower gain, bright amp type tone. To be fair, the guitar playing in those clips is quite a bit better than any of the playing in the Fetto clips (especially including my own!) Kind of like the Carl Martin Plexitone clip by Pete Thorn and Kingsley clips by Simon. It's always nice to look into a pedal that had great clips like that. Same thing with the Alpha Drive. Somehow, everyone who made clips of it was a great player and I bought it with no regret. Accept I couldn't make the Alpha sound that good with my own playing and I went back to using the Fetto more than the Alpha (they were on the same board). But that's beside the point.

If I were you, I'd look at it the same way as I look at every new dirt pedal I buy (a weekly or bi-weekly occurrence, so I need a good justification :] ). I just tell myself I can always pass it on/trade it/return it (which I almost always do). I just have a small side hobby of trying every pedal I can, just or fun. So at least you can say you've tried it and you will always have that knowledge for comparisons).So far, the Fetto has been the main keeper of my quest. It's the last pedal I would ever consider selling. But maybe it's not for everyone. It does seem to cover similar ground as the Nu-Valve and the NV does seem like a sweet pedal. I haven't come around to it yet but I'm sure I will own one eventually. I can't give you a comparison, obviously, but that pedal will always have some value, so if you don't like it, return it if you can, or sell/trade it. You'll either keep it, or you'll use it for your next purchase. No harm done! Sorry, I know this hasn't really been helpful but maybe it's a little bit of food for thought about how demo videos should be taken with a grain of salt. FWIW, the Fetto, the Pharaoh, the Kingsley pedals (aside from those recorded by Simon), all the BJFE pedals I've owned, the Screw Driver, etc, are all pedals that sound pretty meh in the demo's. As lots of GMD demo's prove, YouTube demo's can make pedals sound very similar as well, and pedals recorded with better quality and better players are bound to sound better. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. To me, an in depth review and comparison written by someone who has heard a pedal in person is just as valuable, of not more, than a demo video. Just my two cents. Let us know how you like the NV. Looks like a killer pedal. Who knows, maybe it will steal the number one spot from my Fetto's someday :).

DraggAmps

^(dang, that was long. I bet you wish someone who had written so much text was actually telling you about the NV and comparing it to the Fetto!)

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
^(dang, that was long. I bet you wish someone who had written so much text was actually telling you about the NV and comparing it to the Fetto!)
Hell no mang, I really appreciate your insights! I totally agree, case in point, I was never completely blown away by most of the RIOT clips (Pete Thorn is a trouble maker in this regard...after seeing his video for the Plexitone...well you know...) but I really dig the RIOT and it works well with my setup which of course is always the most crucial X factor.

I bet I would dig the Fetto if I tried one because I respect a lot of the people that are enamored with it but the Nu-Valve is a perfect example of what I want to hear and so now I can only hope that I will be able to dial those tones through my rig. I really enjoyed your demo of the Nord, it was definitely one of the better ones for me and it certainly has a distinct tone. Anyways, thanks again and wish me luck......:omg

DraggAmps

Well good luck man! Let us know what you think of the NV. I haven't heard much about it and am interested. Hopefully it works out for you. I will be getting a new amp next week (Mesa Transatlantic) that should be able to get me more Voxy and Tweedy brighter, open, dynamic tones like some of the ones in those clips (I do have several tweed Fenders, but I don't use them for demo's because they're too loud). Once I do, Joakim (the builder of Himmelstrutz pedals) wants me to do another demo of the Nord that explores the lower half of the gain knob, since my other demo's have been pretty high gain OD tones. Maybe I will even use a single coil guitar. That whole setup might be more the type of demo you're looking for, not that my playing will suddenly get as good as the playing in those demo's! Not that it really matters, since you went with the NV, but just in case, maybe you'll get more out of a demo like that. I could use some diversity with my demo's anyway.

zerorez

I recommend to get the new Tiki, I have owned the NV and ZD2 and still have the Tiki, the Tiki can do the lower to mid gain tones also depending on how you dial in gain1 and gain2 together, but really excels on the high gain crunch as well and has the ability to clean up like a Fetto when rolling the volume back with vintage output style pup's singles or hum's) going into a amp dialed in clean, it like adding a second channel to a NMV amp.

I use Fetto stuff for lower to medium gain (JTM45/Plexi type drive) and the Tiki for more modern marshall type gain ala hot rodded JCM800 crunch)

Elliot Easton posted on the LPF that he approached Hermida on the idea of developing a new pedal, having used and liking the Crunchbox for a hot rodded marshall voiced pedal to be run into a clean amp and the the Tiki was developed.

I do like the D**ble sound and tonality a lot and look forward to the new Alpha Drive to arrive soon to see how it sounds with my gear setup.

Cheers
:beer

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I recommend to get the new Tiki, I have owned the NV and ZD2 and still have the Tiki, the Tiki can do the lower to mid gain tones also depending on how you dial in gain1 and gain2 together, but really excels on the high gain crunch as well and has the ability to clean up like a Fetto when rolling the volume back with vintage output style pup's singles or hum's) going into a amp dialed in clean, it like adding a second channel to a NMV amp.

I use Fetto stuff for lower to medium gain (JTM45/Plexi type drive) and the Tiki for more modern marshall type gain ala hot rodded JCM800 crunch)

Elliot Easton posted on the LPF that he approached Hermida on the idea of developing a new pedal, having used and liking the Crunchbox for a hot rodded marshall voiced pedal to be run into a clean amp and the the Tiki was developed.

I do like the D**ble sound and tonality a lot and look forward to the new Alpha Drive to arrive soon to see how it sounds with my gear setup.

Cheers
:beer
Thanks for the tip on the Tiki! I checked it out and the clips sound really good. I was really pleasantly surprised at the end of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZrUwf5sxR4) where the guy dials it into a pretty great EVH tone. I wasn't expecting that, I'm going to go listen again right now. I see some of my gear going up on Craigslist shortly...doh.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
The NV is my favorite Hermida pedal and its the one I still have --- it is different than the others he makes and is a little looser which I like and the EQ is very natural sounding ..... I think the NV is a better base tone and then say running the Zen into it for solos or upping the drive/compression content.

But its also odd that this one never seemed to catch on either - I think the differences in it and the rest of his line may have something to do with this ...

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
The NV is my favorite Hermida pedal and its the one I still have --- it is different than the others he makes and is a little looser which I like and the EQ is very natural sounding ..... I think the NV is a better base tone and then say running the Zen into it for solos or upping the drive/compression content.

But its also odd that this one never seemed to catch on either - I think the differences in it and the rest of his line may have something to do with this ...
Thanks kindly for sharing! Very encouraging feedback.

Trending Topics