in 20 years, i wonder what effect we'll be accused of overusing?

TL;DR

It may all come around again. In the early 80’s it was amps, mid-late 80’s it was racks, then it went lunchbox/boutique, then all pedals and modelers. Maybe in 20 years people won’t understand why we needed a $100 “always on” transistor OD sitting in front of our $5k two-rock. I’ll put $20 on the “always on OD pedal”

HomeInMyShoes

Autotune and quantizing.

Guitarists currently use too much delay, but I like delay so whatever. I still like the 80s chorus. Music that sounds like an era I like. I also like timeless music too. Bit of both is good, but autotune and quantizing is the work of pure evil.

Guitar isn't popular enough anymore for that. It's going to be certain synths and those insufferable triplet trap high hats that get that kind of attention.
I was going to say reverb and delay even though I love 'em. But I think you're right about trap beats (esp, as Rick Beato calls them 'cicada hi-hats'. They are EVERYWHERE in pop music atm.

Hawkmoon269

Supporting Member
Not any one sound, but the overuse of effects in general so that the guitar sounds totally different in each song. Using too many “_____ in a box” pedals so that there isn’t any continuity between tones, or even how and where the guitar sits in the mix. Pedalboards with a dozen pedals, each having two or more footswitches. I think if your pedalboard has more foot switches than there are people in the audience then that’s going to be widely mocked.

Original_Fire

I think at least part of why chorus in 80’s music became so bemoaned is because it was on guitar tracks across every style of music. That sort of universality isn’t a thing anymore.

I think because of that everyone here is right.

For some genres it’ll be trap beats and auto tune.

Others copious reverb and delay.

Others non guitar/granular looping/dissonant sounds.

There will be validity to claims of the stylistic abuse for all of it. Much better problem to have than 80’s chorus.

charmonder

Honestly the actual chorus pedals from the 80s sound pretty good ... I think the cheese sound was more the producers doing way too much post processing on everything trying to overproduce things way over the top , the typical drums sounded awful and it was in no way the drummers tone