• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

In a one hour lesson how much true content is delivered?

djdrdave

When i took lessons in the 1980's they were 30 minutes lessons for $7. Now the majority lessons are 1 hr. How much content timewise is truly delivered in that hour?

I would say this depends on both the teacher and student. Minus the BS time of talking about irrelevant info, I am just wondering how much time you really spend learning, compared to say 1 hour of a videotaped lesson.

I am real tempted to take in person lessons again. Either from someone on here, or through Guitar Centers new lesson studio that they just setup at one of my locations. Of course 1 hour is $50, but I think it's less if you do a whole month.

I get one free lesson for the purchase of a new guitar recently.

heavypick

I think it's not necessarily about how much content you actually get that gives you the value of a lesson. If someone shows you 50 scales in one lesson you'd get your money's worth in terms of content but that would actually be less helpful than if you learned how to really use one scale (even a "basic" one), or if the teacher is able to critique and fix any bad habits you might have playing the scale or playing in general. That's a lot more valuable even though you'd walk away with less "facts and figures."

Rob G

For me it depends entirely on the student. Some devour material, record the lessons and will go back and practice the material I give them. Others have only a short amount of time to work on their playing during the week or perhaps are beginners or players with goals that are more song based, so we may work on memorizing a tune or focus in on rhythm patterns so when they do get time to practice it is effective and therefore more rewarding for them.

fretbuzzed

Think of lessons like gps. theyll point you in the right direction but if your not payingvattention youll miss your turn. a good gps can redirect you but ultimately you still hv to drive to your destination.

if you dont feel like driving the directions wont do u any good..

JSeth

how much actual content would depend entirely upon how much YOU CAN ABSORB! I have found that the more 'beginning" student can not really hold much more than about 20'-1/2 hour's worth of information before they get that "glazed" look in their eyes...

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I have recordings of a number of legends giving lessons (Joe Pass, Lenny Breau, Ted Greene) and I can assure that a great deal of 'true content' can be delivered in an hour. Whether or not the student is smart enough to record the lesson is another thing.
Pat Martino said that some students just want to have a 'relationship' with the teacher as much as learn from them.

cardamonfrost

Having given a lesson or two, I find the amount of real content delivered is 100% related to the amount the student practiced the previous week....

C

Geek USA

30 minutes is only to get started. 1 hour is the minimum length a lesson shoul be. For beginners and hound students, 30 minutes might enough though. I also like a good bit of playing and application of what's being learned, not only instruction. Learn a little, have the instruction show you how to use it, then allow you time to practice to him playing rhythm or whatever is needed. It's easier than being taught for 30 mins and then expected to apply it during solo practice. Those extra minutes getting feet wet with the instructor really help, IMO.

Jeremy_Green

It really is up to the student and what they need at that time. I have had some lessons where I got what I needed from the "BS time".... Other times it takes much more... Sometimes the hour goes by so fast and I was learning the whole time. But all of this is dependant on ME and what I am looking for.

Problem with many students is they aren't "looking" at all.
They are waiting for something to be "given"
BIG difference.

Trending Topics