In appreciation of the Marshall 1965A cab

Blackmoreguitar

Gold Supporting Member
That's interesting, I guess they changed to the G10L-35 thereafter. Just the same, the G10L-35 sounds just like a little greenback.

The label plate on the back says 140w but the Greenbacks fitted are rated at 30w, so I assume someone either swapped the 35s out, or it is an odd ball of some sort.

wetordry

Nice cabs, and light, congrats!
I have 2 of the b cabs.
I've only opened one, but there was only ply in that one.

JParry335

Just picked this up the other day and I gotta say I am blown away how good this little cab sounds. Bone stock and really clean. I love how the grill has faded to an almost wheat color and the logo and piping have turned a creamy tan color. Kinda looks like an old basketweave cab!

Judging by how tight and fresh the speakers sound, I'm guessing (and thankful) the original owner didn't abuse it with a 100 watter playing metal. I'm skeptical of the stated 140 watt power handling. I don't even think I'd try to run a 50 watter through it at full bore.

I dig that it's an 8 ohm cab, as most of my amps are 8 ohms. My '62 Brown Deluxe sounds ridiculous through this, and so does my 5E3.

Anyone else have one? Can they really handle 140 watts? I'm new to the party but glad I bought a ticket!

Congratulations! You have learned the secret of the universe! These cabs are fantastic. I have a B cab that I use with a drip-edge Bassman head. I had an A cab also which was the first one I got but moved it in a trade. It was very similar to yours but yours is VERY clean.

of course i'm one to talk, the first thing i did with mine (B cab) was take out the back and cut out the middle third, making it an open-back cab.

as such it's terrific, full and chimey without being super-loud.
I have thought about making a new back, not altering the original to get the open concept going.
What amp are you using with it?

Am I to understand that the grill cloth was originally black on these, and they fade to different shades of brown? I find that hard to believe. I thought I read that somewhere though. You see them with the grill in all different shades of black to brown to almost tan.
Yes, the original color of the grille cloth was black. I re-did mine with Marshall checkerboard and they turned out really well for never having done that before. I love that look.

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
I've always wanted a couple of those cabs. Actually, I'd like one each of the 1965 and 1966 cabs, so I'd have both 10" and 12" speakers to chose from. One of these days I swear it will happen!.
Al

soldersucker

Horrible Horrible Cabs!
Lightweight portable with a vintage look and 4x10 speakers no good amps ever used that array.
Seriously now i've owned a couple and have a slant that is great with my 50 watt vintage Plexi's and Traynor Dynabasses.
I very nice Straight popped up recently and i just missed it damn!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I have thought about making a new back, not altering the original to get the open concept going.
What amp are you using with it?
now that i think about it that's what i actually did, using two pieces of plywood to make it an open-back in the middle third. (of course i then lost the original back so...:oops:)

been a while (playing mostly bass these days) but i've used it with everything from my 100w 2203 marshall to a 60w boogie MKIIb to a little silvertone amp head, sounds great with all of them.

Gridlock

OP that is one great looking Marshall cab. Congrats.

I almost bought a 1966A (the 2x12 version) a few years ago. Now strickly a combo guy, but they do sound big.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

vintage66

Straight vs slant, is there enough difference to care? I like the idea of a slant so it’s pointed more at my ears and is slightly less directional but in practice is the difference noticeable?

vintage66

As far as the grill cloth I’ve read that the early ones fade to brown so Marshall changed to a black that wouldn’t fade which is why some are black and some are faded looking. It’s on the interweb so it must be true. Sounds plausible though.

JParry335

now that i think about it that's what i actually did, using two pieces of plywood to make it an open-back in the middle third. (of course i then lost the original back so...:oops:)

been a while (playing mostly bass these days) but i've used it with everything from my 100w 2203 marshall to a 60w boogie MKIIb to a little silvertone amp head, sounds great with all of them.
I’ve used mine with several amps as well and like you say, they all sound great.
I prefer the B cab to the A only because the B has a little more depth, but I really wish I could get my A cab back. Or find another good deal on one.
I paid $225 for the A and I think $300? For the B. A few years ago on both. Prices are going up and will continue to do so as supplies diminish and more become aware of how great they are, so DON’T TELL ANYONE!!!:p

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I had a 1966A for a while and it was a great sounding cab. Lightweight and easy to haul around. I didn't care for the plastic side handles, but as good as it sounded, I lived with them.

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
Another nice feature of these cabs is the one piece baffle in the slant, as opposed to the 4x12's two piece baffle...supposedly makes for less phase issues and tighter bass.

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
My 5E3 looks pretty comfortable up there. The feet on the amp almost line up with the cup holders on the cab. They're like a 1/8" off.

AA864

Straight vs slant, is there enough difference to care? I like the idea of a slant so it’s pointed more at my ears and is slightly less directional but in practice is the difference noticeable?
I think my straight one sounds better, dunno why, maybe more cab space.

AA864

I can fit mine in the trunk of my Honda Accord Coupe. it weighs about 37# and on stage it takes up no more room than my Avatar 1x12 cab. I love 4x12s for sound, but these really are so much more practical to gig with.

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
I think my straight one sounds better, dunno why, maybe more cab space.
Most marshall guys will agree that the straight cabs (4x12's, 4x10's etc) sound a little better / deeper than the slant cabs but the difference is marginal. I like the look of the slant cabs and the pair angled up at your ears helps a bit too.

Trending Topics