• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

In Brazil for work. Could I buy some fretboard material and from whom?

coffeecupman

Hello.

Guess I stole most of my own fire for this post with the title, but I'll expand a little...

I'm working on a ship in Brazil until January. From what I have read so far about CITES, one can carry back less than 10kg of Brazilian rosewood, provided it was harvested before a certain date.

I've done a few searches online, and all the online vendors of Brazilian rosewood all seem to have imported it a long time ago into the US.

Surely there must still be some suppliers with great collections within the country itself? I'm willing to travel across the country to get some nice specimens for some guitars I'll be having made over the next few years.

Does anyone have a name or contact, or the name or contact of someone who probably knows a name or a contact, so that I can try getting this done? I'll be in Rio but as stated can travel to anywhere in Brazil once January rolls around.

B. Howard

Gold Supporting Member
You will need a lot of paperwork to import a CITES 1 species....I have looked into importing rosewoods. Anything you buy there ,no matter the paperwork, will likely be illegally harvested at this point. Really want to risk an international felony and fines/jail in multiple countries?

coffeecupman

I would have thought it obvious that I am not looking to commit a felony. Does my request ask for help committing felonies, or how I can best be put in jail or get fined?

I am asking how to do it, and can it be done - legally - and with/from whom.

I need a lot of paperwork. Great, what paperwork? Anyone know who to ask what paperwork, or how to contact the people who know?

For all the luthiers offering Braz boards, I thought someone here will know who sells it in Brazil and what paperwork is required.

But all the paperwork in the world is useless if nobody knows the name of a good wood seller in Brazil. So perhaps we can start there, because if nobody knows where to buy it, there's no point in the next stage of figuring out how to get it home.

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
Marcio Zaganin, the owner of N. Zaganin Guitars, legally acquired a huge amount of reclaimed rosewood from a public building (IRRC the Sao Paulo house of representatives) some years ago. He might be your best option when it comes to legally purchased wood, whether a slab of wood or a finished piece (p.ex. fingerboard, neck).

Music Maker offers several rosewood options on their guitars (top, neck, board), but most or all of them are NOT Dalbergia nigra (AKA Brazilian rosewood) AFAIK.

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
Music Maker also offers pau ferro boards and necks - which I particularly like. Definitelly less hassles involved if you go that way. Their showroom is a couple blocks from Congonhas airport in Sao Paulo.

Edit: considering the current exchange rate, you should really take a look at the used market for Zaganin, Music Maker and Tagima (the hand made in Brazil ones, particularly the top signature ones which have the number "1" in their names, like E1, K1, JA1). Marketplace at Facebook, mercadolivre.com.br and olx.com.br are the best sites for a search. I've found some great deals there with the help of friends and relatives, and have owned some great guitars from those brands.

Last edited:

Ayrton

It would be easier and far better quality of wood to buy old Rosewood furniture in the states. Anything in Brazil at this point is stump wood or illegal.

coffeecupman

Music Maker also offers pau ferro boards and necks - which I particularly like. Definitelly less hassles involved if you go that way. Their showroom is a couple blocks from Congonhas airport in Sao Paulo.

Edit: considering the current exchange rate, you should really take a look at the used market for Zaganin, Music Maker and Tagima (the hand made in Brazil ones, particularly the top signature ones which have the number "1" in their names, like E1, K1, JA1). Marketplace at Facebook, mercadolivre.com.br and olx.com.br are the best sites for a search. I've found some great deals there with the help of friends and relatives, and have owned some great guitars from those brands.
Thanks Beto! That's a great start!

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Hello.

Guess I stole most of my own fire for this post with the title, but I'll expand a little...

I'm working on a ship in Brazil until January. From what I have read so far about CITES, one can carry back less than 10kg of Brazilian rosewood, provided it was harvested before a certain date.

I've done a few searches online, and all the online vendors of Brazilian rosewood all seem to have imported it a long time ago into the US.

Surely there must still be some suppliers with great collections within the country itself? I'm willing to travel across the country to get some nice specimens for some guitars I'll be having made over the next few years.

Does anyone have a name or contact, or the name or contact of someone who probably knows a name or a contact, so that I can try getting this done? I'll be in Rio but as stated can travel to anywhere in Brazil once January rolls around.
It is highly illegal to cross international borders with Brazilian rosewood. If you were to do that, definitely don’t post about it...

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
Even if, in a best case scenario you find some braz rosewood and the seller have all the required documentation, you still need CITES export licence from Brazil and a import license from USA. The chance of getting all the paperwork required in order in like 5 weeks is zero.

Trending Topics