In case you were wondering, the Marshall SC20H is plenty loud enough.

jozh

Update: swapped two G12C to G12-65 ('82) in a x-pattern. Now the 425a is less piering, but I like the 2x12 openback with G12M-65 cb better at low volume with the SC20H.
Have to test it with band volume sometime.

Has someone tested a SC20H with a 2x12 or 4x12 with greenbacks and V30 mixed?
Low volume @home and at rehersal level?

vintage66

I thought we were talking about the smaller plexi style head this entire discussion (which is why I asked if it was clean with the volume on 4), not the JCM800 equivelant. LOL The names confuse me.

I'd really love to try both.
l thought the same thing. I tried the Jcm800 20 watt at local GC but they pretty much said they have no control over what is ordered so would probably never get the plexi style one to demo, which is the one I really want to try.

gijoe

How do the Marshalls compare to your 5150 III? Is yours the 6L6 model?
The EVH is a 6l6 model. I use that as a high gain channel switcher. The Marshalls I boost the front-end w/ pedals. Distortion pedals for the SV20, Overdrive pedals for the SC20.
Tonally, the EVH is great but doesn't sound like a Marshall, IMO.

Goldie Glocks

Update: swapped two G12C to G12-65 ('82) in a x-pattern. Now the 425a is less piering, but I like the 2x12 openback with G12M-65 cb better at low volume with the SC20H.
Have to test it with band volume sometime.

Has someone tested a SC20H with a 2x12 or 4x12 with greenbacks and V30 mixed?
Low volume @home and at rehersal level?
I have a 4x12 with 2 Greenbacks and 2 V30's. It sounded great. However, I think I prefer all Greenbacks as a personal preference. I play low and high volumes at home, it definitely thumps more through the 4×12,which is to be expected.

Goldie Glocks

Was it "ice picky"? Did you test other speakers too?
This amp can definitely have the Marshall ice picky sound but I've found it pretty easy to dial out. Once dialed out I just gave it more volume to play in a band setting it was all good.

Goldie Glocks

If you can try the same experiment with the low input at your next rehearsal I'd be interested to hear the results, perhaps seeing if you can get a pristine clean with the guitar volume rolled off, a hard rock tone with the volume knob dimed and a goosed hard rock tone with the SD-1 added in (all keeping up with the band volume)
Okay, so I tried this for you last night with good results; in the low input it stays clean all the way up to 6-7 on the volume. However, the low input channel's volume has to be turned up more from 5 to 7ish to get the same volume.

I had the pre-amp on 7 and the volume rolled of about a quarter from max and it cleaned up great on the neck humbucker. With the volume knob all the way and an overdrive it gets really good crunch/rock tones. I didn't get a chance to crank the boost pedal to get more gain but I had it way low and it was breaking up nicely so I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a good, usable gain for hard rock should the need arise.

AlanH

Okay, so I tried this for you last night with good results; in the low input it stays clean all the way up to 6-7 on the volume. However, the low input channel's volume has to be turned up more from 5 to 7ish to get the same volume.

I had the pre-amp on 7 and the volume rolled of about a quarter from max and it cleaned up great on the neck humbucker. With the volume knob all the way and an overdrive it gets really good crunch/rock tones. I didn't get a chance to crank the boost pedal to get more gain but I had it way low and it was breaking up nicely so I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a good, usable gain for hard rock should the need arise.
Thanks for doing this GG. This amp looks VERY interesting....

Trending Topics