in Chicago...wanna hear some great local blues

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blusman, Apr 6, 2011.

1. blusman

blusman Member

I'm in Chicago for one last night! Any recommendations on Blues Clubs (local favorite) besides Kingston Mines and Buddy Guy's Legends! Thanks!!!

2. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

Across the street from Kingston Mines is B.L.U.E.S. at 2519 N Halsted. I personally like it better than Kingston.

Honestly- these 3 clubs are the best around (downtown) IMO. Clearwater's is hit or miss, and so is a place called Rosy's. There is a place in the burbs named Fitzgerald's that draw some big national and local acts.

There is one more place downtown called "Blues Chicago" (do NOT mistake this for the B.L.U.E.S. place I mentioned earlier). I am not a fan of this place, and usually end up leaving in the middle of the first set for some reason. It is by the huge McDonald's and Hard Rock Cafe on State St..... meh.

If you are there during the day, and you are into blues/jazz, I highly recommend the Jazz Record Mart at 27 E Illinois St. They have an awesome selection and it is a cool COOL place. The owner of that store also is the owner of Delmark Records, famous blues label- they deserve all our support!

And to wrap up the night at about 2-4am, you should go to the La Bamba burrito shop right there on Halsted and Wrightwood (short walk/stumble from B.L.U.E.S.), where the neon sign accurately advertises "burritos as big as your head!"

HAVE A BLAST! I would come join you if I were in town and buy you a couple beers!

3. OldgtrNovice

OldgtrNovice Member

I was gonna recommend B.L.U.E.S., too. Best blues club in the city and, trust me, I know. Good people over there, too.

4. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Voodoochile gave some great tips. Fitzgerald's I love but its in Berwyn which may be out of your way.

5. blusman

blusman Member

Hey Vodoo...Thanks for the local 411. I'll definitely hit B.L.U.E.S....thanks man for the beer offers as well. Went to Wrigley Field today and froze my ass off watchin the stinkin Cubs but WOW what a historical , cool place. I spent hours yesterday at Chicago Music Exchange. What a collection of vintage Gibby's and Fenders and cool guys as well. If I had the $$$ the 57 Goldtop at 110K was my fav. Thanks again and tonight should rock!!!!

6. blusman

blusman Member

Cool...thanks man! Is Buddy Guy's worth hitting or not???

7. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

B.L.U.E.S. will not let you down. And if it really sucks for some reason, Kingston Mines is across the street. Enjoy!

8. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Supporting Member

Chicago Music Exchange--love that place!!

9. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller

not really, not compared to B.L.U.E.S. or Kingston Mines

10. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

11. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

If you happen to like jazz too, we have a great Wednesday night jazz jam a couple blocks from Kingston mines and etc., at Lilly's, 2515 n. Lincoln, no cover and always some great players there. I know you said blues, but if you do like jazz and you're that close I figured I'd mention it.

Regarding blues clubs, I agree about km and BLUES. I'd just hit them both and see which has an act you like better.

12. blusman

blusman Member

jp...that place is sick...and I got Major GAS....tomorrow could be trouble!!!!

13. blusman

blusman Member

Hey Guys...I hit B.L.U.E.S. last night and y'all were right!!! I didn't need to go anywhere else....it was killer!!! It was a pro jam hosted by Big Ray and these guys killed it!!!! I'm not good on names especially after a bottle or so of red wine but a cat named Luke on guitar (335) and Pookey on drums....amazing musicians!!!! Joe Moss also played some amazing blues on his LP!!!

Chicago is the place guys...I had a blast!!! Thanks form the 411...If y'all get to Atlanta ring me up I'll steer you in the right direction!!!

14. blusman

blusman Member

Hey Mike...thanks for the invite! Sorry I missed it but I hung out at B.L.U.E.S. all night...it was killer! I'll make a point to get to Lilly's on my next trip!!!

15. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

Dude no problem, I was just throwing it out there for you. I'm glad BLUES worked out, that place is always a great time.

Hey did you ever head back to CME? I was lusting after a great sounding 68 thinline in there a couple weeks ago.

16. Alard

Alard Member

used to be able to see Melvin Taylor there a lot. Not sure if that's still possible