• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

In defense of Guitar Center

james...

I ordered a used ernie ball volume pedal Jr from GC. But I received a regular Ernie ball volume.

Contacted the sales rep asking for a refund. Instead he offered to just send me a brand new volume pedal Jr for free.

Not bad GC. Not bad.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
They totally screw up your order, deliver the wrong goods, and then try to buy you off by sending you what you were supposed to get in the first place and you call that good service?!?!?!

:)

hippietim

They totally screw up your order, deliver the wrong goods, and then try to buy you off by sending you what you were supposed to get in the first place and you call that good service?!?!?!

:)
Translation: they made an honest mistake and went above and beyond to correct it. I have no love for the company that is Guitar Center but this is a fine example of taking care of your customer.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Translation: they made an honest mistake and went above and beyond to correct it. I have no love for the company that is Guitar Center but this is a fine example of taking care of your customer.

Yes, they did. Good for them. And bad for the joker who didn't read the OP's first post correctly.

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
I bought a brand new Dimarzio SD for one of my guitars online from GC this past summer. Ordered it in black/cream coils. What arrived was a clearly used and repacked double white coils SD. Was in a generic plastic pack, not even a Dimarzio box.

Same sort of thing....rep on the phone was actually really hilarious with his comments towards whoever in their distribution center screwed it up. Told me to just keep the used one and sent me the correct new one out.

mikebat

I am in sales and I always say, when you screw up, you have a chance to make a customer for life, or lose one for good. It all depends on how you make up for your blunder.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
GC seems to have pretty flexible policies, enforcement of which varies considerably from store to store. It's really down to the individual store, and often down to the individual salesperson.

Young Dad

Silver Supporting Member
Yesterday I had to ship a guitar. I called UPS, they had guitar boxes for $35.

I went to GC and they gave me one free.

dazco

I know GC gets a bad rap, but while i was on that bandwagon for years, i have to say it's been many years now since I've had a single negative experience with them. They've been great for me in recent years. Nothing but the best experience and prices. I price matched my PRS SE a while ago from their $700 tag down to $470 no questions asked. They just looked at the online price of a small but authorized ebay seller and and said yep and typed up a receipt. The cater to me every time with no arguments. Wasn't always like that but in a good 15-20 years now they've been great, especially in the last say 10. I've been going to GC since they were a single store across the street from the current hollywood store, and back then they'd screw you at every turn. Over time their reputation got so bad they finally realized they had to to get with the times or die and far as i'm concerned they did a damn good job of revamping their customer service/policies. Took a few decades but they are as good as any large corp now, at least in my experience.

I am in sales and I always say, when you screw up, you have a chance to make a customer for life, or lose one for good. It all depends on how you make up for your blunder.
I agree with this.

The only person who really gets screwed when the order gets messed up, is the guy headed out on Tour and the replacement item never quite catches up to him as he moves around.

Or the guy in the Studio who needs something recorded, yesterday.

If you're a "casual" customer, there's nothing to complain about with the end result here. Realistic, is how I like to be about mistakes.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I've had good and bad experiences there, mostly good. My wife has had such bad experiences that she won't go into the store anymore with me. They have gone out of their way to ignore her on several occasions thinking she just must be there with some dude including the time she stood at the counter and waited with a bass in hand, ready to buy, and the employees either ignored her or asked people behind her if they could help them instead. Several times she's been trying out basses while I watch, listen and tweak knobs. Each time an employee has asked me if they could help me but have never asked her. I've started telling them that I don't even play, that she's the musician.

tone?

I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Have I had an occasional bone head sales dude? yes.
So what its a chain, so its more difficult to follow.
But overall I have had:

1) GC give me a free box to ship a guitar in.
2) When I bought my Albert Lee HH they fully accommodated me and ordered two plus one in the store for me to choose from.
3) when I bought my segull guitar they brought out EVERY one of the same model in the store for me to choose the "best one".
4) Returned stuff with no questions asked.
5) matched prices online.

Sure they have the "crap" that goes along with a huge chain but overall they are awesome.

So what if they dont have the best highly trained staff etc...?
"USE" the store for what they offer. which is a lot.

If I want to get something really specific like a Suhr or CS strat I will go to a more specialized store.

geekocaster

I went to a GC the other day for the first time in years.

They had a whole wall of used electric guitars that were priced at or cheaper than in the emporiums. Best part is I wouldn't have to pay with paypal gift if I wanted one and could try one out before I buy.

:hide

TJNies

A coule years back I wanted the Bonamassa ES335 that was in short supply. Needed it by a given date. The guitar mgr found one in CA, said they could 3-day it.

Well somehow wires got crossed, because the shipping store forgot to make it 3-day, so wouldn't arrive in time.

The manager searched until he found one that they could overnight ship.

I'd say he did his job well.

Deviate

I've not had any bad experiences with my local GC yet. Sam Ash either, for that matter. Like a lot of businesses, it depends on the store and the staff. Company wise their policies seem reasonable. Both have been quite pleasant to do business with. I think a lot of people just bash them to bash them, because they're corporate chains. I get that most big corp chains are bottom line driven and like to bone customers any way they can, but they're not all that way.

There's a good chance that most people who have a bad experience were douche bags about it in the first place. People make mistakes. Be professional about it as a customer and give them a chance to make it right. If they fail to make it right, then feel free to rag on them if you feel so inclined.

I can easily compare it to another (non-music store) company who's name I may not even need to mention. You're jumped on by random 3rd party sales reps trying to sell you DirecTV or magazine subscriptions or some garbage. But when you actually need assistance with something, either no one is around or no one has a clue. Or customer service that says "Actually, let me show you the fine print here that states that you're screwed".

JackStraw12

As much as I dislike some of GC's policies, it's the only place I'd buy an amp nowadays unless it's from the manufacturer, or a custom job in the case of my Fuchs. The 30 day policy is really nice.

slider

On the minus side, they employ people who are not very knowledgeable. Of course at the wages they pay, you can't expect experts.
There's a lot on the plus side, like price matching. Even if you find a better deal later on the 'net, they'll refund the difference.
Threads here have linked to long articles about the dire financial state of GC, seemed like they were on verge of bankruptcy, but have managed to stave it off. If GC goes down, we'll miss it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom