• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

In defense of Guitar Center

TheGuildedAge

Our local one is pretty decent. Super friendly and their two techs are simply outstanding. Might as well be luthiers.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
I usually have great experiences with my local GC because they know me. I get really fair trade in value and great prices on new stuff. Got a new carlton es355 for 2700 bucks. That's a 4000 guitar. It was a special order and the customer changed his mind. It was still in the box!

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, they did. Good for them. And bad for the joker who didn't read the OP's first post correctly.
If you mean me, I was, in fact joking, even left a smilie.
Pity so few can capture that from reading, but I see it happens a lot.

Headshok

I love my local GC. Know me by name and give me discounts on anything I buy, even guitar study books

james...

I've had good and bad experiences there, mostly good. My wife has had such bad experiences that she won't go into the store anymore with me. They have gone out of their way to ignore her on several occasions thinking she just must be there with some dude including the time she stood at the counter and waited with a bass in hand, ready to buy, and the employees either ignored her or asked people behind her if they could help them instead. Several times she's been trying out basses while I watch, listen and tweak knobs. Each time an employee has asked me if they could help me but have never asked her. I've started telling them that I don't even play, that she's the musician.
Unfortunately I have seen this at other stores besides guitar center, even some mom and pop joints. It's not just women. They tend to stereotype younger looking people as having no money. It's annoying. Fortunately it's not like this everywhere.

cardinal

I've had nothing but positive experiences with GC. Some of the sales staff doesn't really know their stuff, that's not unique to Guitar Center and if you actually care about what you're buying, you can figure out what you need with a few minutes on Google anyway. The one near me has some pretty cool guitars and amps, leaves you alone if you want to play it, and doesn't give you any grief over something you want to return. Can't really ask for more than that. I've never tried to haggle with them because I thought they don't do that any more.

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
I always hear(read) bad stuff about GC, i honestly like dealing with them.. In store, over the phone and online... Just last Saturday I went to my local GC (2 hours away) and since I'm looking for a semi-hollow at the moment, I was trying out some, really liked this one

Played it for a good 20 minutes with different amps, the guy asked me if I was interested they had a 15% off sale that day, I said let me think about it. Then he asked if I wanted to apply for a card, I said not at the moment..(already have one) Played it for another 10 minutes, and then he saw me take the pictures, and he said if I liked it he could knock out the taxes, then I said I only had like $2200 (which I didnt) he said if I was really interested he could make it happen.. He went and talked to the manager and said $2200 out the door.. So... I felt bad and said I would still look around.. And thanked him..
This was the price... Not bad GC

Black Squirrel

Gold Supporting Member
I always hear(read) bad stuff about GC, i honestly like dealing with them.. In store, over the phone and online... Just last Saturday I went to my local GC (2 hours away) and since I'm looking for a semi-hollow at the moment, I was trying out some, really liked this one

Played it for a good 20 minutes with different amps, the guy asked me if I was interested they had a 15% off sale that day, I said let me think about it. Then he asked if I wanted to apply for a card, I said not at the moment..(already have one) Played it for another 10 minutes, and then he saw me take the pictures, and he said if I liked it he could knock out the taxes, then I said I only had like $2200 (which I didnt) he said if I was really interested he could make it happen.. He went and talked to the manager and said $2200 out the door.. So... I felt bad and said I would still look around.. And thanked him..
This was the price... Not bad GC

So you walked? after he got the deal you wanted?

Metlupass2

Silver Supporting Member
He just told the guy he only had $2200 thinking he would just leave him be, but it backfired when he was nice and worked out a deal.

440gtx6pak

If something goes wrong (which was not my fault), for me it has always been the mom and pop shops that tried to work out the best scenario for them not getting financially hurt, at my expense. Whereas MF and GC just accept it was their problem and fix the situation. I will admit the bigger mom and pop shops realize with the internet competition out there, they can't pull what they used to 10 years ago so there is improvement.

bhendric1

Silver Supporting Member
Also had a recent good customer service experience at GC. Purchased a Fender Mustang Mini on the website from a stores floor stock. It had the box and instructions, but was missing 1/2 of the power supply and also the USB cable. The rep I spoke to ordered me a new power supply from Fender, a USB cable from Best Buy, and refunded me $25 (on a $100 purchase). I was able to find the same power supply at Wal Mart for $5, and I still have the one on the way from Fender, so for a small inconvenience to me, I came out $20 ahead. The c/s rep was extremely helpful.

BoozeLawyer

Silver Supporting Member
I can't complain. Last time I bought a guitar there, I went through eight different Strats that I didn't bond with at home or in the store for one reason or another and every time they took it back with no questions asked.

gigs

I have never had a problem at my local GC. Been going there for many years.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
On the minus side, they employ people who are not very knowledgeable. Of course at the wages they pay, you can't expect experts.
For the most part this is true of all big box retail.

Well, if you wanna loan me the cash I ll call him tomorrow :)
Sometimes I give some staff at GC the brush off as I focus on getting what I need and getting out of there.

But I could never pretend to negotiate in good faith with someone else - when I didn't have the money no way

To me, that's no different than pretending to own a guitar for sale, get the buyer to negotiate with you to agreed terms, but not have the guitar to transfer to the would be buyer.

Disgusting, with all due respect. Not impressed.

bricel24

Silver Supporting Member
I like going to my local GCs as well, a lot of deals in store I've had, and their online used site is not bad either.

I bought my M13 used from their site that arrived with the wrong power supply. I called the store it shipped out from directly, talked to the manager and they apologized. Arranged for me to pickup an original Line 6 PS from my nearest GC for free ($27 value). They made it sound easy as pie with rectifying the situation.

jeff_lebowski

I like Guitar Center for buying used gear.

I just bought a dot deluxe used from guitar center that has a beautiful sweet tone to it for next to nothing. Plus if I ended up not bonding with it I could take it back.

pbmw

I've been going to my local GC for years.
A while ago, they had really reduced their inventory. I was pretty surprised. I've bought a ton of used stuff from them over the years and 5 or 6 guitars.
The staff knows me by name when I walk in the door. They know my likes and dislikes. Offer info on stuff that I may well be interested in and have been overall very helpful. I just about always get a fair deal.
I'd not be happy if they went under
I also ride motorcycles. There's a trend in that community to go into a shop, try on gear, get the sizing right and buy on line for a few bux less. Then whine and moan when their local shop closes it's doors...

Top Bottom