In defense of the Coronado 2

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bgwicks, Feb 17, 2008.

1. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

I picked up a 66 Coronado the other day because it was cheap, original and looks so cool.

After shimming and setting up I have been giving it a good workout. And yes these babies really feedback!

I was aware of the very bad rep these guitars have as a failed model and so I didn't expect much.

However the guitar is much better sounding than I expected. Especially for 60s style rock such as Jet. For blues solos the sound is very crisp.

So overall I am pretty happy, and I wonder if the extent of the bad rep is fully justified.

I was watching the Interactive Fender Bible DVD the other day, and Dave Hunter was playing a green coronado. This DVD is a very cool 70min romp through vintage fender amps and guitars.

Anyhoo the coronado was sounding very nice, particularily when compared with some of the other student fenders of the pre cbs era. The other guy, Carl Verheyen, who is an awesome guitarist, commented that the coro sounded great. Dave responded that it was the amp that made it sound great. Hmmm.

It just makes me think that maybe the coro is the one everyone loves to hate.

[​IMG]

2. rastus

rastus Member

Coronados can be challenging to get setup right, but once you do, I have found them to be very unique in every respect. Groovy 60's looks, wild finish options, slim neck, very individual tone. They are underrated. I don't really compare them to the normal Gibsons and Fenders, but find that they are very comparable to some of the Hagstroms, Burns, Hofners, Voxes, and Framus guitars made in that era. I used to have one-I may look for another since prices are down...

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

man, i love the coronado... along with a lot of the old and funky 60s/70s guitars that the collectors seem to have forgotten. Fortunately, i think these guys are starting to get popular (i mean... they're just sooooo cool!). I better get my hands on one before they start to skyrocket in price.

cool guitar!!

4. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

I love Coronados with flatwounds cranked just to the verge of feedback on an AC30 in the studio for the most incredible clanging, banging, freight train rhythm tracks. I do the same with Jaguars. People have flipped at the sound and when I tell them what it is, they go on a search for their own. The long arm trem is like slippery liquid Mercury. None better for the slow, dreamy, warble they do..

1967 Wildwood:

[​IMG]

5. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I think the guitar player from the Killers has been playing Coronodo's recently, which is probably contributing to current increasing popularity.
    I love oddball fenders.

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

I heard Jimmy Vaughan play one of those recently on the Jimmy Reed highway tour. I thought it was a horrible tone. The notes seemed to die out almost immediately. I sat there the whole night hoping Jimmy would pull out his Strat. He has one of my favorite tones of all time on his Strat.

7. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

They have a pretty distinctive sound - sort of a Fender Jaguar meets Gretsch.

8. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

that would explain the lack of sustain

9. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

10. old crow

Couldn't seem to fit any words into that post, I think they were frightened by the pic.
    I started scrapping the black and red and green and purple paint off, to reveal the orig. s.b. , but i kind of like the look the wat it is now.
    When I put the Maestro tailpiece vibrato on, the tone deepened and the sustain increased.
    The neck has a great feel. It's a compound carve, meaning thick U shape at the nut and flattening to a C shape toward the octave.
    I'm using a heavy set of 011's and have put a Gretsch style, but aluminium bar bridge on.
    Lots of twang and 50's vibe. Nice for that T-bone Burnette stuff he did with Plant and Krauss.

11. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

I've got a super sweet Lake Placid Blue Coronado II with checkerboard binding and a matching headstock. It's dead mint, too. If this were a Tele or a Strat, it would be worth a fortune.
    I love the way it looks, love the way it feels, love the way it sounds.
    People expect it to sound like a 335, or like a Fender, but it doesn't. It's got more than a little Ricken-jangle, given the fact that it was designed by Roger Rossmeisl, the brains behind Rickenbacker.

Remember one more thing--in 1966 the Coronado was the most expensive thing Fender made by a lot, and you could have bought three or four blackguards or 50s strats for the price of one Coronado.

12. old crow

Some say the pup's are too weak. They are what they are. Like you said they don't sound like other popular guitars. I like a change and I like the lower out put, it makes this guitar very pedal friendly. I find 2 other plus' , there is not too much bass and the poles are spaced wider on the bridge p.u., the way they all should be.

13. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

The bridge pickup on mine was not dead but not fully alive either. I had Jason Lollar rewind it and it sounds really great now. The sweet spot position is the in-between with both pickups in the loop.

The Coronado is the greatest guitar in the history of the world. Spread the word.

Allen

14. old crow

Pup's on mine are 6.9 and 7.2K. Keep in mind the poles are the magnets that play a key role in DeArmonds. If you find any particular string that is weak, the pole may simply need remagnetizing.
    I'd be interested to find out if they used Alnico 5 for the poles or did they use another grade ?

15. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

How about StarCasters?