In delay spin land, help needed with finding next delay

yoshiii

Ok,

So I see that there are many many delay pedals out now. I want to get another one. I have a carbon copy delay which I wanted. I know what it does and its cool. Now I want to get into stuff like Cocoteau Twins, more U2 stuff, Stone Roses, Pink Floyd etc. When I was learning about guitar effects I would always read about the EHX DLX Memory Man. What pedals should I look at to achieve some of the sounds I am looking for? I saw the old TC Electronic Nova Delays. So many boss delay pedals.

What are good ones to get?

Tootone

Quite a few U2 and Floyd use dual delays.

Top of the heap for this are
Strymon Timeline
Eventide TimeFactor
Boss DD500

Also take a look at
Vox DelayLab (very big footprint)
Strymon Volante
Dawner Prince Boonar

The Korg SDD3000 Floor Box is pretty U2 Authentic.

On the cheaper but still quality mega delays
Digitech Obscura
Alexander Quadrant

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
Strymon Timeline will give you plenty of sounds, enough to keep you occupied for about a decade. :)

The Volante is a great take on a drum echo.

If you want a less finicky, more versatile DMM type of delay, go for the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall.

StummerJoe

Platinum Supporting Member
If you like U2, the Police, and Pink Floyd delays, the Deluxe Memory Man is still hard to beat.:aok

Gilmour was using a lot of tape delay, but man, the Deluxe Memory Man is just so warm and with modulation.

Edit : Forgot the Alter Ego by TC Electronic. Also functions as a looper.

Last edited:

The-Kid

Pedal Art: Providence Dealer
Vendor
Not so many options or TT but cant go wrong here

And pair it with one of these bad boys....

The new DD8...you can meet all your Delay needs no problem and do everything and anything your after.

I already have a DM2W and well was thinking about getting another to stack with or have two set at different levels to switch back and forth with on the fly or stack again.

But may get a DD8 to do that and cover more ground and further supplement the analog delay with possible Tap Tempo Analog Faux.

chromewaves

I'm into pretty much everything you mentioned, and am using a Strymon El Capistan for tape sounds and a Zoom MS-70CDR for good-enough analog and digital delay sounds. Would like to eventually find a single small-box multi-delay that does everything I want in a simple interface, but feel like nothing is ever going to quite hit the sweet spot.

chromewaves

would also mention I have a 90s big box DMM that sounds fantastic, but sits on the bench because the bypass is crappy and I can't find someone to mod it, and it's gigantic. but it's very nice to pull it out once in a while and just play through it.

dirtytony

Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo (Panasonic chips)... does everything perfectly with great headroom and sound, plus you get wonderful modulation and a great set of option to choose

Ok,

So I see that there are many many delay pedals out now. I want to get another one. I have a carbon copy delay which I wanted. I know what it does and its cool. Now I want to get into stuff like Cocoteau Twins, more U2 stuff, Stone Roses, Pink Floyd etc. When I was learning about guitar effects I would always read about the EHX DLX Memory Man. What pedals should I look at to achieve some of the sounds I am looking for? I saw the old TC Electronic Nova Delays. So many boss delay pedals.

What are good ones to get?
Do you need the delays to be sync with the tempo?

I’d throw an odd ball, if you are after the 80s rack mounted delays, then Strymon The Dig may be one candidate.
I wouldn't call the DIG an oddball at all - I think it would great for any of those bands, esp. U2 and Cocteau Twins.

OP, what are your needs specifically? Are you playing in a band and have a need to change between songs with tempo-synced delays quickly?

Lots of decent suggestions here, SDD-3000 is good for U2 but discontinued and can be troublesome with regards to volume (although I find it worth it).

For U2 & Cocteau, I would make sure I had adjustable modulation (Obscura doesn't quite fit the bill for me there) and clarity (I love the Timeline but it's not the clearest delay - it's more about the wash). The Deluxe Memory Man is great but that's primarily an early-U2 box, anything Unforgettable Fire & after is better done with digital IMO.

Last edited:

yoshiii

Yes will use delays for playing in a band. Ill never used a tap tempo while playing with a band before so I dont know if I will use it or not. Want to be able to get the type of delays from the type of groups I have listed. I know I will need a digital delay, so many pedals to decide from.
What about the EHX Canyon?

Yes will use delays for playing in a band. Ill never used a tap tempo while playing with a band before so I dont know if I will use it or not. Want to be able to get the type of delays from the type of groups I have listed. I know I will need a digital delay, so many pedals to decide from.
What about the EHX Canyon?
I don't have any experience with the Canyon, can't help you there.

(BTW, you quoted my post from this thread into a Jazzmaster thread, you might want to edit that :D).

Squatch57

The guy's got a Carbon Copy and wants to add an extra delay so people recommend a Memory Man or DM-2? Typical TGP

Last edited:

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Platinum Supporting Member
Nemesis covers a lot of ground, I think it could handle everything you mentioned.

david57strat

Nemesis covers a lot of ground, I think it could handle everything you mentioned.
I was going to chime in with that particular suggestion.

The Nemesis is a super powerful pedal, that has a ton of options, but is actually very user-friendly. It's a lot easier to dial in that it may appear.

• Programmable
  • Stereo-capable
  • Expression pedal compatible.
  • MIDI- compatible
  • tap tempo and dotted eight notes (etc.) option, etc.

User-friendly as-is, or go nuts with the Neuro app (through your iPhone or through the computer, with a USB cable - but not really necessary unless you want to fully nerd out on fine tuning presets for it.

Sounds fantastic, right out of the box, though :).

I even use it for my keyboard, sometimes. Sounds absolutely beautiful.

Of the five delay pedals currently on my board, if I had to choose only one (perish the thought), for super sounds and ease of use, it would be this one.

Combined, with their Ventris Reverb (which actually has dual reverb engines - like having two different reverbs in one box) - match made in Heaven:

I keep making excuses for how sloppy the board looks, in its current state. I'm hoping to have everything locked down and slickly wired in the coming month. Still working on pedal order, etc.

Last edited:

Trending Topics